PDA

View Full Version : Sosuishitsu Ryu

Qasim
3rd September 2002, 23:03
Does anyone know/can anyone tell me anything about Sensei Michael Calandra and Sensei Dennis Fink?

Both are in New York and both claim to be senior reps for this Koryu but Sensei Fink claims to be the only authorized rep for Sosuishitsu Ryu.

Qasim
4th September 2002, 05:32
John Scott,

Received you PM but you elected not to receive PMs so I'm unable to answer you and you also elected not to be e-mailed. I wish to discuss this topic further.

:smilejapa

Stéphan Thériault
22nd September 2002, 01:51
Actually if you scroll down there is an english page. And if you click on the link for the International Sosuishitsu-ryu Jujutsu Association, there is a bio of Mr.Calandra.

Qasim
22nd September 2002, 05:27
Thank you for responding, but this doesn't answer my question. Fink says that he is the only authorized representative in this country, yet Calandra's site is not only linked by the International site in Japan, he has photos of himself with Shitama Sensei.

On his site as well are some of his students and they are also in a photo with him and Shitama Sensei, as well as the instructor at the Tokyo dojo.

Qasim
22nd September 2002, 15:25
Mekugi,

Thank you for once again responding to my question, this is a straight forward and honest answer and I appreciate it. Is there anything thing else that you can tell me about them? What is Sensei Calandra's current rank in Sosuishitsu Ryu?

:wave:

Moriki
23rd September 2002, 18:51
Dear Quasim,
I am not quite sure of Sensei Calandra`s rank, I will try and find out.But I can tell you this, members of the ISJA are able to join the Sekiryukan (Honbu) dojo in Fukuoka under Manzo Shitama 16th Soke of Sosuishitsu.
The ISJA follow the original training patterns of Sosuishitsu ryu, which consist of 40 two person kata as well as individual techniques derived from the kata.

p.s Sensei Calandra also holds ranks in Isshin ryu Karate, Okinawan Kobudo and Jodo.

Hope this helps
Brian Carpenter
GWNBF/KJJR UK KOMORI DOJO

Qasim
23rd September 2002, 21:10
Originally posted by Moriki
Dear Quasim,
I am not quite sure of Sensei Calandra`s rank, I will try and find out.But I can tell you this, members of the ISJA are able to join the Sekiryukan (Honbu) dojo in Fukuoka under Manzo Shitama 16th Soke of Sosuishitsu.
The ISJA follow the original training patterns of Sosuishitsu ryu, which consist of 40 two person kata as well as individual techniques derived from the kata.

p.s Sensei Calandra also holds ranks in Isshin ryu Karate, Okinawan Kobudo and Jodo.

Hope this helps
Brian Carpenter

Thank you, it does help. Please do make that inquiry for me.

Moriki
24th September 2002, 19:44
Dear Russ,
Thank you for the correction, I was only going by the videos that I purchased from Sensei Calandra and also a letter he sent me when I enquired about Sosuishitsu ryu.
It says that the kata are broken up into five sets:
IDORI GATA
TAI TOSHU GATA
YOTSU GUMI
TAI KODACHI
SONOTA

Yours sincerely
Brian Carpenter

:confused:

Qasim
24th September 2002, 21:34
Originally posted by Mekugi
Hi again!

Why not ask him yourself??

-Russ Ebert.

Since I am not in contact with him myself, If anyone can help me in terms of inquiries, I will gladly take their help.

Barry Southam
24th September 2002, 21:58
Friends,

I am not a student of Sosuishiryu Jujutsu but I am curious as to the leadership in the USA...A few years ago I had coressponded with Sensei Dennis Fink and he was very polite in answering my letter as well as e mail...
If Sensei Dennis Fink is assigned the position as International director of Sosuishiryu Jujutsu by the hombu and administrative matters go through his office in regards to rank and membership..Then why are others allowed to by pass his office and authority and deal directly with Japan ? What if many individuals start doing this, then why have an international director who would be losing administrative authority given to him by the hombu ?
Sensei Fink I think lists his Sosuishiryu rank but I don't see or maybe I missed it, Sensei Calandra listing his Sosuishiryu Jujutsu rank....What rank should an individual have in Sosuishiryu Jujutsu before starting his/her own organization ?

If the hombu for Sosuishiryu in Japan is going to allow others to start forming their own organizations in the USA..Then maybe the hombu should think about revamping its thinking on administrative protocol and discontinue the office of International Director, even though it's headed by a very high ranking Sosuishiryu teacher because it will lose its "authoritative effectiveness "...

Barry E. Southam

Qasim
19th October 2002, 16:53
Hi again,
Barry wrote:

The international office is in Tokyo, Japan.

Does that mean this statement is not accurate?

Please visit the home page of The New York Seibukan, International Headquarters of the Sosuishi-Ryu JuJutsu Kai, Japan.

This was taken from Dennis Fink's website.

:rolleyes:

Qasim
21st October 2002, 03:10
"SJJK" is an organization under the ryu and is headed by mister Fink. The international office for the Hombu dojo is in Tokyo under the actual name of Sosuishitsu ryu kumi uchi koshi no mawari. All these groups are one family, BTW.

My questions are due to what is seen on Mr. Fink's website. It gives the impression (not a vague on at that) that he is THE authority on and for Sosuishitsu Ryu in the US, and that anyone who wants to be ranked MUST go through him. The other impression is that he is THE International representative of Sosuishitsu Ryu and that the Headquarters for the ryu is with him.

Mr. Calandra's site however, doesn't make any claim other than that he has a relationship with the Hombu dojo and Shitama Sensei. If we are to go by Mr. Fink's site, then Mr. Calandra's relationship with the Hombu dojo doesn't exist.

Situations like this are not in the best interest of the ryu. Do others have these types of disputes in terms of leadership?

Barry Southam
24th October 2002, 23:24
Friends,

What is Mr. Calandra's rank in Sosuishiryu Jujutsu and is it registered with the Hombu ? I tried sending an e mail to him on his web site and I assume it didn't go through since no reply had been sent...

Has anyone outside of Mr. Fink and Calandra contacted the present headmaster of the system and asked him " who is the official representative/director/administrator, etc.,in the USA ?

Can any dan ranked Sosuishiryu jujutsu individual start his own organization and deal directly with the Hombu in Japan ?

What protocol, if any, is in place in the USA concerning the administrative duties for Sosuishiryu as set forth by the Hombu ?

Wouldn't it be simple for the headmaster to clarify how Sosuishiryu is organized in the USA and who has what authority by simply releasing a statement of facts ??

Barry E. Southam

Moriki
25th October 2002, 18:36
I agree with Russ, anyone who wants the information should contact Sensei Calandra themselves.I have recently spoken to Sensei Calandra with regards to his rank but have no authority to speak on his behalf. The website has contact details, I`m sure he would welcome any enquiries.
Anyway, here`s some info here:
http://www.isja.com/newdir.htm

yours
Brian Carpenter
:)

Barry Southam
26th October 2002, 22:39
Friends,

I meant no disrespect towards Calandra sensei, Fink sensei, the present headmaster of the system or the system itself...
How Sosuishiryu Jujutsu is administered either in Japan or the USA is certainly none of my affair since I am not affected by it...Since the topic of Sosuishiryu had been brought up for discussion.I thought I would ask simple yet important questions for any one wanting to be involved in this art.Questions that should not be offensive to anyone.Anyconcerned consumer in the USA wanting to become a member of the Sosuishiryu Jujutsu family should have information on very simple questions..
Such As:
1. Is the Sosuishiryu org. that I join affiliated with the hombu ?
2. What rank is the president of the org. I am joining in this art ?
3. Are there other org. in the USA that are sanctioned by hombu ?

These questions would apply to any art including the one I study, Judo..

I met Sensei Calandra some time ago at a seminar in Pa.,..Only had a few minutes to talk with him....A few weeks ago I did send him a message but no reply...Maybe it didn't go through...

I guess I just don't understand why Sensei Fink is listed as International Director for Sosuishiryu Jujutsu and I may be wrong since I haven't visited his website lately..However, in the past and in his past correspondence, he listed himself as such..Title I think he said had been awarded him after the passing of a man name Sensei Flemming...

So if I raised inappropriate questions in my pevious comments, I apologize..No disrespect intended...

I hope the art of Sosuishiryu Jujutsu gains popularity in the USA among serious students and politics if any are kept to a minimum...

Barry E. Southam

Judo