PDA

View Full Version : Any English language sources?

Joel Simmons
4th September 2002, 21:58
Alohas all,

This post is directed towards those who have carried out academic study in the area of Japanese history.

I would like to know if there are any English language sources available that discuss the relationship of Shingon Buddhism or Shinto with koryu or even pre-koryu martial traditions within Japan.

Any leads are much appreciated.

josephcswartz
5th September 2002, 06:58
Konnichi wa,

I have a finished romanji translation of all the Tendai Mikkyo okkyo available, english bugei ryuha daijiten, and am working on a romanji ninpiden copy. The relation ship would be shinto was the religion of bushi (samurai) so that's the connection there, toss the Rinzai Sect in for good measure, which was composed of Bushi and still exists in small amounts today. I have a Rinzai okkyo lying around here somewhere... You might want to look at Shingon and Tendai together as they just have minute differences in the structure of their kami. (short version as explained to me by a tendai mikkyo buddhist priest) Some things that come to mind. You can find Fudo Myoo (a critical diety in Tendai Mikkyo) statues in like old ninja museums with ninja armor and that kind of stuff. If seeing a 300 year old handcarved Fudo Myoo statue between a kusari gama and a set of ninja yoroi, in a koga ryu museum (formely a ninja hospital located in takayama aichi-ken 300 years ago) dosen't scream a connection between Shingon, Tendai and Koryu ninjutsu ..then there ya go. What else, uh sutra, chanted for protection or other means, Fudo Myoo sutra, light sutra, heart sutra etc., part of shiken haramitsu .. is to shield against ghost. You don't know? It works good as shield (my experience). hatsumi mentioned it somewhere in a book. Anyway the point is these words have other meanings sometimes and sometimes same or similar as mikkyo. If all that isn't enough, watch some ninja's hands sometimes, what do you think those hand and finger movements and positions are? mudra, kuji, other simplier movements. where do you think they come from? mikkyo etc., When you go to dojo and you saw kamiza where is it from? shinto, and what about mandala's and other things, fudo statues etc., mikkyo. That pretty much gives you, Sutra, Mudra, Mandala. Speak, Do, See. is it Sanmitsu? haha I go to sleep now,

Joseph Swartz

Joel Simmons
6th September 2002, 00:01
Aloha,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, many of the things you pointed out show an obvious connection between koryu and shinto and buddhism. However, they are just that: obvious.

When writing a thesis, I try to avoid exercises in the obvious. Instead, it would be nice to come up with an idea that makes people react with a, "oh really? how interesting." Very little scholarly study has been done in English on the relationship between koryu and shinto or esoteric buddhism. Of course, loads of research has been done on Zen and martial arts.

George Kohler
6th September 2002, 03:36
I would have to say Koryu Bujutsu - Classic Warrior Traditions of Japan and Diety and the Sword.

In the first one there is a great article by David Hall called "Marishiten and Buddhist Influences on Combat Behavior." He also lists his references at the end of the article.

The other is by Otake Risuke. More specifically, book 2 and 3 has some information about the relationship between Buddhism and Katori Shinto ryu.

Hope this helps a little.

Joel Simmons
6th September 2002, 09:25
Mahalos for the info. Mr. Kohler.

allan
27th August 2003, 21:53
Hello,

I haven't read them, but the International Hoplology Society has published some monographs by D.Draeger which cover, amongst other things, aspects of mikkyo in koryu bujutsu.

Can anyone else comment on these monographs?

Regards,

Joseph Svinth
28th August 2003, 01:22
As I recall, the IHS essays are Dr. Hall's, so they are probably earlier versions of the chapter that appears in the Koryu Books book.

Professor Bodiford has some outstanding essays on the roles of philosophy and such in Thomas A. Green, ed., "Martial Arts in the Modern World: An Encyclopedia."

It's been awhile since I've read it, but I recall some discussions of non-Zen traditions in Reinhard Kammer, "The Way of the Sword: The Tengu-Geijutsu-Ron of Chozan Shissai," translated from the German by Betty J. Fitzgerald (London: Arkana, 1986).

Finally, for Okinawa, start with Mitsugu Sakihara, "A Brief History of Early Okinawa based on the Omoro Soshi" (Tokyo: Honpo Shoseki Press, 1987), then go to Josef Kreiner, ed., "Sources of Ryukyuan History and Culture in European Collections" (Munich: Iudicium, 1996).

An old E-budo thread of possible interest: http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=4369

don
28th August 2003, 20:26
Originally posted by Joseph Svinth
Professor Bodiford has some outstanding essays on the roles of philosophy and such in Thomas A. Green, ed., "Martial Arts in the Modern World: An Encyclopedia."

I could find no list of articles sorted by author. The one I found by Bodiford, "Religion and Spirituality: Japan", was outstanding. What others do you recall being his?

Thanks.

Joseph Svinth
30th August 2003, 06:43
His articles are "Religion and Spiritual Development: Japan" and "Written Texts: Japan."

Serious five-star articles. Trust me on this.

don
30th August 2003, 20:34
Originally posted by Joseph Svinth
His articles are "Religion and Spiritual Development: Japan" and "Written Texts: Japan."

Serious five-star articles. Trust me on this.

I'll look it up. Thanks.