PDA

View Full Version : Another Ryukyu Kobudo Assoc.?

dsomers
10th September 2002, 21:55
Hello , I once found another Ryukyu Kobudo assoc. on the internet , I believe it was called The Ryukyu Kobudo Hozon Kai , or The Ryukyu Kobudo Shinko Kai , I forgot which one it was ; My computer froze up , when I was at the site , so I had shut it down , now I cant find it . No , it's not the Ryukyu Kobudo Hozon Shinko Kai , its a different group , I never heard of . They have a Dojo in Canada , but cant find it now . If anyone has any imfo I'd appreciate it .

Thanks ,
David

10th September 2002, 22:24
Have you tried going to your "history" section of the tool bar?
The URL might still be in there.

dsomers
10th September 2002, 22:26
I tried that , but I dont know what happened , this computer gives me lots of problems .

David

10th September 2002, 23:16
Do you have any hammers around?........sometimes a good whack to teach it a lesson helps. ;)

Maybe a Google search could pull it up again.

There is a guy by the name of Tim Jergens on E-Budo that is well connected to the Ryukyu Kobudo Hozon Shinkokai, he may know of other groups that are similar.

sai-africa
11th September 2002, 19:00
Still looking for the Ryukyu Kobudo Hozon Shinko Kai info? All the official Dojos are listed at www.ryukyu-kobudo.com if you need further information, let me know.

dsomers
11th September 2002, 19:03
I'm not looking for Ryukyu Kobudo Hozon Shinko kai , I'm looking for another group .

David

TimJurgens
13th September 2002, 17:26
After Akamine Esuke Dai Sensei passed away some of the members of his dojo formed new organizations. One of those off shoots that has strong roots in Canada is the Tessinkan organization headed by Tameose Sensei, who was a student of Akamine Dai Sensei. He has members in Canada most notably Don Shapland, and Frank Clayton. That may or may not be the association you ran across. There is a good chance that you were looking at a page that was taken down for revision that did not get posted back on the net due to technical problems.

I know you stated that the site you referenced is not a part of the Hozonshinko Kai but for everyone else that may read this tread; I would like underscore that as Emile mentioned and as Doug can attest both the Okinawan and American RKHSK sites list information and links concerning history, events, officals, instructors, and members.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Tim Jurgens

Doug Daulton
4th October 2002, 02:40
This might be the site you are looking for ...

Ryukyu Kobudo Tesshinkan (http://www.geocities.com/isshintesshinkobudo/)

Tamayose Sensei, though I never met him , is as Emile and Tim have mentioned a direct student of Akamine Eisuke Sensei as were Dometrich Sensei (my teacher) and Akamine Hiroshi Sensei and Kunioshi Sensei (Emile and Tim's teachers).

I hope that helps.

Regards,

dsomers
4th October 2002, 02:54
Nope , thats not the one , it is either the Ryukyu Kobudo Hozon Kai , or The Ryukyu Kobudo Shinko Kai NOT Ryukyu Kobudo Hozon Shinko Kai , or The Tesshinkan .

David Somers

dsomers
19th December 2002, 14:42
I finally found the site , its www.victoriaokinawakarate.com/kobudovictoria if anyone is interested .

David Somers

Narbeh
29th December 2002, 07:29
I AM TRYING TO GET IN TOUCH WITH YOU...

CONTACT ME

narbeh@hotmail.com

Narbeh G. Khachikian

TimJurgens
3rd January 2003, 11:55
As a somewhat fragmented follow on I would like to mention that many Kobudo Associations are becoming more popular lately. I just returned to mainland from a very nice trip to Okinawa. No more that 700 meters from my inlaws house there were 3 Dojo one of which was named Bunbukan and claimed a Kobudo association. I also notice a Kobudo headquarters just down from Shuri Castle. When I went to our association's end of the year party I was wearing a red tie that had the kanji Ryukyu Kobudo in gold on it. Akamine Sensei gave it to me as a going away gift in 1996 when I moved to mainland. When he saw me wearing it this time he said "Tim don't you have one of the new ties?" It seems that there are so many associations now that the new tie bears the whole name Ryukyu Kobudo Hozon Shinko Kai on it just to keep things straight. I was happy to receive my new tie in the mail two days ago.

Happy new year to everyone.

Tim Jurgens

Doug Daulton
5th January 2003, 20:03
Tim,

I have also seen many associations cropping up in North America. Some are legitimate offshoots from legimate teachers, others are more suspect. As always, potential students should do their homework.

Regards,

TimJurgens
21st January 2003, 08:37
Doug has hit the nail on the head here. I remember my views on Kobudo prior to visiting the Hombu in Tomigusuku. I thought I knew what good Kobudo was and had even taken some lessons from some of the more well know Karate Sensei in Okinawa. It was not until I saw people who really understood how to make the weapon and the kata come alive that I saw I was misguided. If someone looks like they are pushing the weapon around or just punching with something in their hands as opposed to looking like the item is an extension of their center manipulated by subtle movements of the hips and stances then I suggest you keep looking. I now realize that there are people who are great Karateka who are not so good at Kobudo. I myself am bad at Karate and much much worse at Kobudo. Please no one assume that just because a person is an accomplished martial artist that they are therefore qualified to be a Kobudo teacher. Only long years of proper training at Kobudo will establish them at the later.

Tim Jurgens

TimJurgens
21st January 2003, 08:57
Doug has hit the nail on the head here. I remember my views on Kobudo prior to visiting the Hombu in Tomigusuku. I thought I knew what good Kobudo was and had even taken some lessons from some of the more well know Karate Sensei in Okinawa. It was not until I saw people who really understood how to make the weapon and the kata come alive that I saw I was misguided. If someone looks like they are pushing the weapon around or just punching with something in their hands as opposed to looking like the item is an extension of their center manipulated by subtle movements of the hips and stances then I suggest you keep looking. I now realize that there are people who are great Karateka who are not so good at Kobudo. I myself am bad at Karate and much much worse at Kobudo. Please no one assume that just because a person is an accomplished martial artist that they are therefore qualified to be a Kobudo teacher. Only long years of proper training at Kobudo will establish them at the later.

Tim Jurgens