PDA

View Full Version : Uhugushiku Kobudo Kata

CEB
12th September 2002, 20:07
Originally posted by CEB
That book mentions Ufuchiku Kanegushiku who was also known as Sanda Kinjo. He was a kobudo master, a king's bodyguard and police official from Shuri. His most famous student was named Kina Shosei. Ufuchiku died before WWII. This is not the man taught Mr. Oyata.

Mr. Stebbins warning is with merit. I agree there are some problems with the book. But the pictures and illustrations are nice. I still think there is some value in the book. Just don't bet your farm on the entire book being historical fact. :)

Not related to the book:
Now there are some Kobudo forms that bear the name Uhugushiku. Uhugushiku no Ekku and Uhugushiku no Nunte-Bo, there may be others. I don't know if these forms are attributed to the same line or not. I have wondered about this in the past but I have no idea.

The above is from a post in the Karate Forum. Is anybody familiar with Uhugushiku no Ekku or Uhugushiku no Nunte-Bo or any other forms bearing the name Uhugushiku. Does anybody have any background on their origin. Thank you for your support.

Rocket
15th September 2002, 10:47
Ed,

I studied some Ufuchiku Kobudo kata from Bob Teller back in the early to mid 80s. He was a student of Masanobu Kina, nephew of Shosei Kina, who was unfortunately killed in a drowning accident. Anyhow, Bob taught me six kata: Tui Sashi Ume No Kun, Shi Shi No Kun, Ufuchiku No Sai, Kina No Sai, Kina No Tonfa, and an unnamed Techu kata patterned after Anaku kata. I still practice and teach these kata.

I noticed that you're in Illinois, what city/town? I live in O'Fallon, IL (near St Louis).

Roy J. Hobbs

CEB
15th September 2002, 14:13
Thanks for your reply.

I'm from up the road (I-55) in Springfield. My mother-in-law lived in O'Fallon for a little while. O'Fallon is a nice town. There is a Borders store in O'Fallon I wish we had one in Springfield. We still go down there for time to time.

Have you found a dojo yet in the St Louis area yet? Is there any chance you may establish a Jujutsu dojo? If so let me know. The closest Hakko Ryu dojo I know of is Galesburg IL but that would be like a 3 hour drive from St. Louis. Thanks again.

CEB
15th September 2002, 14:29
I'm sorry Mr. Hobbs I just saw your post in the Jujutsu and Aikijujutsu Forums, which makes my last post seem sort of silly. I know of your Jujutsu background through a mutual aquaintence that is why I was asking if you had a dojo.

Take care.

15th September 2002, 14:50
Originally posted by CEB

The above is from a post in the Karate Forum. Is anybody familiar with Uhugushiku no Ekku or Uhugushiku no Nunte-Bo or any other forms bearing the name Uhugushiku. Does anybody have any background on their origin. Thank you for your support.

Just so everyone is on the same page:

Uhugushuku in Okinawan is equal to Oshiro in Japanese which means Big Castle. The Uhugushuku family was one of the major families in the Okinawan ruling class. There are still ruins of the Uhugushuku family's castle to this day.

Ufuchiku is another way of saying Daichiku (which I have heard means some sort of Police rank)
There was a person that went by the name of Kinjo Sanda or Kanegushuku Ufuchiku that taught sai, ekku, bo and some other weapons.
Kanegushuku is the Okinawan way to say Kinjo (Golden Castle)

Anyway, Uhugushuku and Ufuchiku are two different words and are to two different people and systems of Kobudo.

Rocket
15th September 2002, 18:53
Ed,

I am teaching karate and kobudo here in O'Fallon, IL. Haven't found a good jujutsu/aikijujutsu teaching opportunity here as of yet. Still training with some of my old students when they visit. Also, doing courses elsewhere every now and then. I've only been here a year now and I'm sure something will turn up eventually. The events of 9/11 kept me pretty busy workwise for some time.

Robert,

Thanks for the point of clarification regarding Uhugushiku vs Ufuchiku. My bad....

Cheers!

Roy

Roy J. Hobbs

15th September 2002, 22:55
Roy,

No worries.
Most people get them confused as they sound pretty much the same.

sanseiryu
7th October 2002, 21:26
Hi Ed, check out this link to my videos page, I have uploaded ufugusuku no kon renzoku bunkai from Hokama Sensei's dojo.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291472125
George Yanase

CEB
8th October 2002, 14:37
Originally posted by sanseiryu
Hi Ed, check out this link to my videos page, I have uploaded ufugusuku no kon renzoku bunkai from Hokama Sensei's dojo.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291472125
George Yanase

Thank you. I watched all the films last night. Some of the movements from Hokama Sensei's Suparinpei are the fastest things I think I have ever seen.

It was all very interesting stuff. Thanks for posting them. I saw a few things that I thought may have been specific to just our lineage in his kata. This was sort of reassuring to see other people doing the same thing. Every kan seems to sort of have their own twist or variation on the kata.

I thought Hokama Sensei was a student of Higa Sensei so I expected his kata versions to be a lot like Kimo Sensei's but they were not that much alike which surprised me a little.

Thanks again for your support.

Pavel Dolgachov
18th October 2002, 09:26
Some of the movements from Hokama Sensei's Suparinpei are the fastest things I think I have ever seen.
As I understand, Goju-ryu kata are not perfomed by Homkama sensei or from Kenshikai. It's more similar t IOGKF (Higaoonna) karate method.

Or Kenshikai Goju-ryu so close to IOGKF version?

sanseiryu
18th October 2002, 17:22
Hello Pavel,
Actually, Hokama Sensei does indeed perform Gojuryu Kata, but not in the IOGKF or Jundokan or Shoreikan...etc method. It is his own distinct method which involves in most of his kata, extreme speed and quickness, snapping technique that is not at all common in the majority of Gojuryu schools. The kata as I perform them in the Kenshikai USA is much closer to the IOGKF, Jundokan, JKF form since that is the form of Gojuryu I was originally taught. I do perform at a faster speed in trying to incorporate the techniques of Hokama Sensei. But as I have observed, even Hokama Sensei's Yudansha have a problem keeping up with him as they perform kata. It is to many casual observers that Hokama's kata are almost sloppy, since his stances, completion of techniques are often sacrificed due to the speed of his kata. He is a singular individual, with abilities that I can't hope to match. Will I ever perform Suparinpei in 60 seconds with his speed and power? No. Do I want to? Probably not. He certainly doesn't want clones of himself. I can only try to absorb his philosophy and emulate his techniques and hope that I can someday fully incorporate his method.
George Yanase

Pavel Dolgachov
19th October 2002, 12:10
Actually, Hokama Sensei does indeed perform Gojuryu Kata, but not in the IOGKF or Jundokan or Shoreikan...etc method.
As I know his teachers were Seiko Fukuchi and Higa Seiko. I have never seen this Goju-ryu line.
And I was impressed with his Suparinpei. It's very sharp, quick and strong.

The kata as I perform them in the Kenshikai USA is much closer to the IOGKF, Jundokan, JKF form since that is the form of Gojuryu I was originally taught.
As I see, it's IOGKF version: Jundokan has a little differences. I have not seen JKF Goju-kai and can't compare.

But as I have observed, even Hokama Sensei's Yudansha have a problem keeping up with him as they perform kata.
Yes, he is extremely fast...

I can only try to absorb his philosophy and emulate his techniques and hope that I can someday fully incorporate his method.
I agree with your idea. How long do you practise under his guidance?

Yours sincerely,
Pavel Dolgachov