PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Morris? Ninjutsu / Street Fighting Books?

Gipper
13th September 2002, 19:03
I'm in need of some good books regarding both Ninjutsu and general protection / no nonsense street fighting techniques. A search on amazon.com turns up a myriad of books on these topics. Several reviewers have raved about Glenn Morris's books, specifically this one > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1883319293/qid=1031939859/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/102-0360562-3836137?v=glance&s=books

Anyone have any of his titles that they can comment on? What other titles would you recommend for ninjutsu and or street fighting?

Thanks!

David Kraut

spartanmachine
23rd September 2002, 15:46
Try Mr.Hayes' Books, Enlightened Self-Protection is pretty good. Mr. Morris' books are good but not as much self-defense knowledge there.

Moko
23rd September 2002, 17:31
Ninjutsu: The best books on Ninjutsu are written by Dr Masaski Hatsumi. He is the only Ninjutsu Soke on the planet who is legit. He knows his stuff. He is The Source. Start there.

Dr. Morris: Glenn's books can be seen as cryptic. I can understand that. His books have a few viscious gems in them but otherwise they are primers and guides for spiritual enlighenment. Excellent reads, and the bibliographies at the end are worth the cost of the book itself.

Hayes: his books are "dated" and of specious value in self protection.

In my professional opinion there are no good books for street fighting. Only instructors. Don't waste your time on the books if you think they will teach you to be safe on the street. Find a good teacher and a good art. (This includes videos)
In looking for a good art find out what the background of the art is. Is it an accretion of sports styles? Keep moving. A combat art has a combat hertiage. A sport martial art or a combination of them cannot be a combat martial art. Even if they wear black gi!
The best art in my opinion is Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu. And it is street effective. Hehehehe.
Also you need to find a good teacher. I think a good teacher in a sport art might be better than a bad teacher in a good art. I had me one of those, doing much better under Glenn's tutelage since.
Good luck and pm me if you feel you need.

Disclaimer I train in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu and am a deshi of Dr. Glenn Morris.