PDA

View Full Version : Open hand to complement sword work?

Sebastian R
17th September 2002, 19:45
I was just wondering if some of you could give me some opinions on an open hand art that will complement my Japanese sword work, and keep me in better shape.

I've got a good amount of experience in judo(yonkyu) as a kid. And I had a few years of Tae Kwon Do, but I became bored with this style after awhile.

I'm about average height, 5'8", average bulid, horrible eyesight, and more strenght in my arms and shoulders than legs. I'd like to build that center balance. I seem to be using top strenght too much.
So I'm looking for something like Jujitstu, judo, aikido, some kind of agressive Tai chi(if it exists), or something. Any suggestions?
I'm in chicago and there are schools of every type here.

BC
17th September 2002, 20:28
Aikido might be a good match for you, since much of the movements are taken from sword techniques. You're in Chicago? Check out the following dojo on the north side of town (1 block from the brown line's Montrose stop):

Midwest Aikido Center
4349 N. Damen Ave.
Chicago, IL
773-477-0123
www.aikidomac.org

Johan
17th September 2002, 21:30
I would suggest a taditional jujutsu system, for exampel Hontai Yoshin Ryu...

Other system would be some type of aikido, preferbly Iwama Ryu.

kokumo
17th September 2002, 22:51
If you are in Chicago, you would be well advised to check out Chicago Aikikai, the oldest aikido dojo in Chicago.

The chief instructor, Kevin Choate, is a senior student of Mitsugi Saotome Sensei and has worked closely with him through the years as both uke in empty hand practice and uke-tachi or uke-jo (?) in weapons practice. If I'm not mistaken, Choate Sensei is also one of the few people who is authorized to teach Saotome Sensei's Nito Aikiken forms. And there have always been a few senior people in the dojo who have first hand experience with weapons-specific arts outside aikido proper.

But in Texas? I hear there's some might fine Kyudo in Texas....

Good luck.

Fred Little

Sebastian R
19th September 2002, 07:08
Thanks for the replies.
I will try some classes in all the styles mentioned. Then pick the best instructor.