PDA

View Full Version : needles

meat
18th September 2002, 14:07
Was wondering what peoples thoughts are on a situation where the attacker has a syringe. My teacher always says if facing someone with a knife "expect to get cut", but what do u do against a needle where the tiniest prick could mean HIV/hepatitis etc etc?

INFINOO
18th September 2002, 19:38
If you want to defend against edge and point weapons you "must" train In there use. If not, how do you know what your up against? A good place to start is get a dulled non sharp trainer and some safety glasses. Than find a good teacher that will help you becoming familiar with the ranges (mai), from there maby angles of attack and thrusting points. Learn the basic cuts and thrust for instance snap cut snap thrust, hook cut,hook thrust draw cut, back cut ect OO. When practicing your tech It may be helpfull to get a practice dummy (made mine out of steel with movable arms) to make contact on. You could start by tieing a stick to a post. Swinging the knife in empty air is highly unsatisfactory when evaluating your grip, learning range and developing a good "snap" in the wrist. I think its a good idea to learn to make contact even in the biginning stages, just take it easy at first to prevent injury to wrist /elbow ect OO. At RCI we find it helpfull to divide the attacks/counter attacks up into high, middle,low, left and right. This gives you 9 seperate quadrants break up the training dummy into managable ares of study. When you get good on a dummy and have developed some skill and controll find and become a good training partner. There is lots of information out there on the subject . Learn all you can cross reference and keep whats right for you, discard the rest. That way "you" can make your "own" intelligent decisions about what can and can not be done vs a edge or point based weapon. If I could make one suggestion. I would change the mind set from in a knife fight" you will be cut" to "in a knife fight be prepared to be cut". A subtle difference but an important distinction.
First get good than get fast.

Regards

Gregory Rogalsky
Rogalsky Combatives International
Calgary Alberta Canada

Bambi
19th September 2002, 20:41
I asked a similar question here a while back and got some very good responses

this link might work

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.phps=a34489b31a2da80d5c976efe122860e7&threadid=402&highlight=needle

or if you do a search for needle and my user name you'll find it.

hope this helps