PDA

View Full Version : Gyokku Ryu

TheCannon
19th September 2002, 00:20
I was wondering if I can have the basic principles/fundamentals of the Gyokku Ryu laid out. In terms of how to use it as a base in my movements.
I tried using the search, but nothing came of it.

Thanks,
John Conklin

Yanosuke
19th September 2002, 02:56
I think to begin, only pratice Kihon Happo and Sanshin no kata for a long time. :)

ShaneLayton
19th September 2002, 22:52
A very long time, and then maybe we can begin to be familiar!

poryu
20th September 2002, 17:32
HI

If you isit www.ninjutsu.com you can buy the Gyokko Ryu video by Hatsumi the current soke.

As for training kihon happo and sanshin, that will only give you the feel and style of gyokko ryu if you are doing it gyokko ryu style.

look at that video and you should see it.

John Lindsey
20th September 2002, 17:36
The Bujinkan Gyokko ryu video from quest is very good. I think RVD sells it with the translation. Bud Malmstrom has a Gyokko ryu CD out, but I have not seen it.

m harper
21st September 2002, 14:28
I bought the CD ROM from Bud at the OFB last year and it is awesome. It is available from Bud at www.bujinkanatl.com.
He is also has a Kihon Happo CD ROM and is working on some others as well. I like it much more that a video tape as it is interactive.

Mark Harper
Bujinkan Houston Dojo

ShaneLayton
21st September 2002, 15:17
I realize that my last reply was a flippant, and for that I apologize. I have Soke's Gyokko ryu video from Quest, and it has been very helpful. But as with anything, learning from a video is very difficult even if you have a good grounding feel and flow of the ryu. I hope you have a good teacher for this. I have not seen any of Bud's productions, thanks for the idea. I knew he had produced some good video (whatever the format!!!) but I had forgotten. Something else to add to my Christmas wish list!!!

My Gyokko ryu video is in Japanese (no dubbing or subtitles) but that gives a good way to assist me in learning the language (also I contacted the Japan America Society here in Birmimgham to set up some classes!!!). I can't get much of the language (yet), but the movement is excellent.

poryu
23rd September 2002, 10:43
Hi

One thing I liked about Buds gyokko ryu cdrom, is that itr also comes with a pdf version for you to print off as a refernce guide with step by step photos.

I usually work only from my own notes now, but I did like the presentaton very much and will be usefull to those with limited knowledge or information.

Go buy it you wont regret it

TheCannon
23rd September 2002, 12:21
O.k. Thanks everyone, I think the CD looks pretty solid and I'm going to check it out.
Thanks Again,

John Conklin

Mark J. Speranza
4th October 2002, 19:04
Hi Cannon

If you want to call Sensei Joseph Svaral, he was given menkyo in Gyokko Ryu. Email me privately and I will be happy to give you his phone number.

Filip Poffe
5th October 2002, 10:23
Dear Mr. Speranza,

Did Mr. Svaral received his Menkyo under Tanemura Sensei or is it from another source ?

Respectfully,

Filip Poffe
10th October 2002, 21:05
Dear Mr. Speranza,

Feel free to send me a private mail about my question anytime !
Thank you !

Sincerely Yours,

Togakure1161
24th October 2002, 05:24
Kihon Happo is sweet.

Kamiyama
24th October 2002, 09:03
John,
With the ryuha gata.. I believe it is empty without the correct physical, spiritual and mental training…
These are a few pointes I have experienced..
I would get myself a small bean bag and crush it with my hands for a few years, jabbing it with fingers and thumbs, get myself a good makiwara and get in a lot of striking, maybe a wall bag or hanging bag and strike it for a few years, and some heavy duty body shields and knee and kick them too.
I would also work on very fast footwork, twisting and turning, leaping, low postures with strikes, lots of defense against quick strikes, like boxing and kickboxing, with counter timed hits, etc..
Distance training moving in and out very fast against different types of attacks, unarmed and weaponry.. always working to the weak areas of the attackers posture and structure.
I believe the Gyokko ryuha is to be very fast, quick off the line and very destructive to incoming attacks. Lots of sidestepping, body shifting, snappy type of defense to create the openings for a counter.
I would put aside the posture ideal and create the flow from the postures of nature within the system of Gyokko ryuha.
The ukemi of the system is fast and very evadsive..as if it was part of the sabaki itself.
Just my input.. from what I have experienced from the system of the Gyokko ryuha.

Peace
Kamiyama, Ralph severe

kimq
24th October 2002, 17:36
Originally posted by Kamiyama
I believe the Gyokko ryuha is to be very fast, quick off the line and very destructive to incoming attacks. Lots of sidestepping, body shifting, snappy type of defense to create the openings for a counter.

I just felt a little tug in my chest. There seems to be a common string connecting Ralph and myself. It would seem he and I agree on the feel of Gyokku Ryu. :eek:

Ralph, from where did you get this feeling about Gyokku Ryu?

Kamiyama
24th October 2002, 22:32
Soke

kamiyama, ralph severe

Jay Bell
24th October 2002, 23:30
Soke...or your interpretation of what Soke was conveying?

A strong, yet often overlooked reality.

mrmonkey
25th October 2002, 02:27
I agree with a lot of what Ralph has said as the ideal of the fighting motion.
There is a lot of strong trunk control, and coordination neccessary in Gyokko Ryu to do what he says.

The training methods are up to the practitioner.

As for the Quest Tape: I like watching Nagato Sensei do Ganseki in there.

mmm, mmmm good.
Makes me glad to be in the Bujinkan.

Kamiyama
25th October 2002, 06:11
Jay, I feel what ever my body does is a direct transmission from Hatsumi sensei and warrior gods before him...
On the subject of reality..I feel it is what you make of it..I work my life from reason.... and from the experience I have been able to explore.. giving me the knowledge to express the art itself.. being Hatsumi sensei or whomever..

I feel the 'Quest' tape on gyokko ryuha is good.
The problem I have with many tapes of ryuha is that it done by some who have not fully taken the time to explore the system they are demoing to get it correct.. on film..
This can be seen in many of the 'Quest' tapes...
The question is..the same question you asked me... is it Hatsumi sensei transmission of the system or that of Takamatsu sensei passed down to him?

peace,
kamiyama, ralph severe

Jay Bell
25th October 2002, 07:56
Very good post, Ralph. I'd say that Hatsumi sensei recieved what Takamatsu sensei wanted him to.

Swinger
25th October 2002, 10:45
Originally posted by Kamiyama
The question is..the same question you asked me... is it Hatsumi sensei transmission of the system or that of Takamatsu sensei passed down to him?

I would say no, as a trasmission is a copy. I would say that Hatsumi-sensei teaches an interpretation of the system Takamatsu-sensei passed down to him.

As Bujinkan Shidoshi teach an interpretation of what Hatsumi-sensei passes down to them.

I also agree that the fundementals of striking are more important than ryu-ha stuff in the beginning of study in Gyokko Ryu.