PDA

View Full Version : Any Patrick O'Brian fans?

Gary Dolce
21st September 2002, 01:32
The recent thread about Russell Crowe brings up a question. Crowe is currently in Mexico filming an adaptation of one of the books in the Aubry-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian about life in the British navy during the early 1800's. Are there any other O'Brian fans out there?

Charlie Kondek
23rd September 2002, 16:40
Does this count - I've been meaning to start reading his books forever and just haven't gotten to it yet! He wrote the Sharpe's Rifles books too, didn't he?

Gary Dolce
23rd September 2002, 19:32
No, someone else wrote the Sharpe's Rifles series, but the author's name escapes me right now. Have you read them and if so, do you recommend them?

I put off reading O'Brian for awhile, too. But when I finally started, I was hooked. O'Brian was a wonderful writer with an incredible knowledge of the era he wrote about. So, I've read all 20 books in the series and periodically re-read my favorites.

Charlie Kondek
23rd September 2002, 20:22
Yeah, I have to get into them. I've been on this detective fiction kick for a while now (traditionally read a lot of detective fiction) and need to switch gears. Your earnest recommendation seals it.

As for Crowe, I think he's a fabulous actor though he may be a bit of an ass, eh?

Fuzzy Dragon
23rd September 2002, 21:57
Originally posted by Gary Dolce
No, someone else wrote the Sharpe's Rifles series, but the author's name escapes me right now. Have you read them and if so, do you recommend them?

Bernard Cornwell wrote the "Sharpe's" series. I read all of them about 4 years ago after having gotten hooked on the films. Definitely worth reading. I believe the Ann Arbor library has all the books and most of the films... it's where I got them from! :)

Charlie Kondek
24th September 2002, 14:11
Holy geography, Batman. Everyone in this thread is from Michigan!

Can anyone tell me what's the first book in the O'Brian series?

Gary Dolce
24th September 2002, 15:01
Charlie,

The first book is "Master and Commander".

A glossary is very helpful when reading the books - between the nautical terms, descriptions of the science of medicine and biology at the time, and references to obscure events in the late 18th and early 19th century, it can be tough going in places. I recommend "A Sea of Words" by Dean King which was written as a companion to the series.

By the way, in true Hollywood fashion, they have chosen to make a film based very roughly on the 10th book in the series. Since the enemy in the 10th book are the Americans (it takes place during the War of 1812) and the producers felt that American audiences wouldn't accept that, they have changed the story to make the French the bad guys. I can't wait to see what other "improvements" Hollywood makes.

As for the Michigan connection, I believe one of my students, Eisaku Komori, practiced with you a bit. We should get together some time for a beer. Of course you'd be welcome to stop by at one of our practices if you are interested.

Gary

Charlie Kondek
24th September 2002, 15:26
Yes! Actually, Komori-san carried that message to me, and I've been meaning to stop by. I admire you art (Shorinji Kempo) very much. (Although I've only seen a few videos of it, mostly embu.) I agree, we should grab a beer some time!

Thanks for the reading tips, BTW. Maybe I'll dip into Afterwords this afternoon...

Charlie Kondek
20th June 2003, 16:52
Hey, Gary! I finally read "Master and Commander" and enjoyed it very much. You still lurking?

Gary Dolce
20th June 2003, 17:53
Hi Charlie,

Yes, I am still here. Glad you liked the book! We should schedule that long-delayed beer. I can give you an update on the my son's judo experiences (thanks for the contact info!) and we can compare notes on early 19th century naval tactics. Send me an e-mail.

Gary

Charlie Kondek
20th June 2003, 19:45
Oh, that's good news. I will send you an e-mail! I'm stepping out now but I'll be back next week, so look for it.

Gene Williams
22nd June 2003, 21:34
I've long been an O'brian fan, read 'em all, plus Hornblower and am working on Cornwell. His Arthur trilogy is also great. Try some of Frederick Maryatt and Alexander Kent. Gene

Charlie Kondek
24th June 2003, 14:46
Yeah, I've been meaning to give Cornwell a try.

Kimpatsu
25th June 2003, 01:59
Just to break the Michigan monopoly...
Why are all you landlubbers reading nautical novels? Going to recreate the war of 1812 on Lake Michigan? :D

Gary Dolce
25th June 2003, 03:53
Well now that you mention it - a key naval battle of the War of 1812, the Battle of Lake Erie was fought about 60 miles southeast of here. An American squadron, under the command of Oliver Hazard Perry, met an over-confident British squadron of roughly equal strength. Perry's flagship, the Lawrence, was destroyed (83 casulties out of a crew of 103), in large part because his second in command, aboard the Niagara, refused to engage the British out of spite over being passed over for command of the fleet. Undaunted, Perry had himself rowed in an open boat a half mile through enemy fire to the Niagara, took command, and broke the British line for a complete victory. Perry's famous victory dispatch said, "We have met the enemy; and they are ours." As a result of the victory, the British army had to retreat from Detroit, the Northwest Territories of the United States were secured, and residents of Michigan speak American English rather than Canadian English.

So maybe it isn't that unusual that we landlubbers in Michigan might be interested in things nautical.:D

Gary Dolce
25th June 2003, 04:20
On a completely different tack (pun intended) from my previous message, let me add that good literature is worth reading no matter what the subject. O'Brian was one of the great writers of the 20th century - but he is under appreciated because he wrote historical fiction, a genre that doesn't get much respect given that a lot of historical fiction is very poorly written. The nautical stuff is interesting in its own right, but I think O'Brian's books are really about the changing nature of long-term friendship in close quarters under difficult circumstances. I would recommend them to anyone.

Kimpatsu
25th June 2003, 05:19
Well now that you mention it - a key naval battle of the War of 1812, the Battle of Lake Erie was fought about 60 miles southeast of here. An American squadron, under the command of Oliver Hazard Perry, met an over-confident British squadron of roughly equal strength. Perry's flagship, the Lawrence, was destroyed (83 casulties out of a crew of 103), in large part because his second in command, aboard the Niagara, refused to engage the British out of spite over being passed over for command of the fleet. Undaunted, Perry had himself rowed in an open boat a half mile through enemy fire to the Niagara, took command, and broke the British line for a complete victory. Perry's famous victory dispatch said, "We have met the enemy; and they are ours." As a result of the victory, the British army had to retreat from Detroit, the Northwest Territories of the United States were secured, and residents of Michigan speak American English rather than Canadian English.

So maybe it isn't that unusual that we landlubbers in Michigan might be interested in things nautical.:D
Damn! You mean that's thereason people in Detroit misspell "centre" and "colour"? Now I'm miffed! :D

Kimpatsu
25th June 2003, 05:22
On a completely different tack (pun intended) from my previous message, let me add that good literature is worth reading no matter what the subject. O'Brian was one of the great writers of the 20th century - but he is under appreciated because he wrote historical fiction, a genre that doesn't get much respect given that a lot of historical fiction is very poorly written. The nautical stuff is interesting in its own right, but I think O'Brian's books are really about the changing nature of long-term friendship in close quarters under difficult circumstances. I would recommend them to anyone.
Gassho, Sensei.
To be honest, I'd never heard of O'Brian until I saw a trailer for the forthcoming movie of "Master and Commander". Maybe he's worth checking out.
I agree completely that good literature is worth reading regardless.
Kesshu.

Charlie Kondek
25th June 2003, 14:16
Me, too. I'm reading a pretty good book right now called "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" by Michael Chabon. It's about these two Jewish kids making comic books in 1940s New York, in the wake of Simon and Schuster's Superman and Will Eisner's early work.

Yeah, Gary's right about the human element present in "Master and Commander." There's great interplay between the captain, his first mate and the ship's physician and scientist, as well as the characters themselves. I also loved O'Brian's knowledge of 18th-century (the book begins in 1800) science, manners and society, as well as the nautical stuff and Irish political stuff. And he's subtle, he doesn't wave a flag over it when he does something clever or reveals something cool.

Gary, are all the books in the series this good?? That's pretty incredible stamina for a writer's work, I think.