PDA

View Full Version : Looking for information

Kuseru
25th September 2002, 02:14
I'm looking for information and/or pictures on some obscure sword types that I've come across:

Aobie (described as a short bamboo sword)

Jiroutou (a daito, with a blade length of some 75 cm)

Karasabi (a type of small sword)

Kindachi (another wooded sword--which doesn't quite sound right to me, but that's the reference I've come across)

Tanpei (also tampei, another type of small sword)

and of course the hyped Zanbatou/Zanbaken/Zanbatachi...I've seen some historical mentions of this, but I've seen the same information applied to naginata, nagimaki, and nodachi.

Thanks for any information,

K. Straight

pgsmith
26th September 2002, 23:47
Sorry Mr. Straight,
I have never heard of any of those that you mentioned. Where did you come across these sword types? You also said you have seen historical mentions of a zanbatou? Where did you see this mention? I'm always eager for new information and would appreciate if you could send me in the proper direction.

Thanks!

Kuseru
27th September 2002, 03:54
Originally posted by pgsmith
Sorry Mr. Straight,
I have never heard of any of those that you mentioned. Where did you come across these sword types? You also said you have seen historical mentions of a zanbatou? Where did you see this mention? I'm always eager for new information and would appreciate if you could send me in the proper direction.

Thanks!

I came across many references in George Cameron Stone's A Glossary of the Construction, Decoration, and Use of Arms and Armor in all Countries and all Times, however the information in there is spotty at best, though it does have some nice pictures of Japanese weapons. The Jirotou and Zanbatou I came across on an obscure Japanese website, with very little information pertaining to them (other than both swords referencing the other). I've done quite a few web searches for the Zanbatou (including using the variant sword names I've seen for it), but have mostly turned up fictional information. Sadly, I did find a page selling a so-called Zanbatou, however, it looks more like a nodachi to me. *Shrug*

K. Straight