PDA

View Full Version : Ohan

Rocket
25th September 2002, 13:07
All,

Has anyone actually seen the Ohan kata of Ryuei-Ryu?

"Rocket"

Roy J. Hobbs

25th September 2002, 13:22
Yes, I saw Sakumoto perform this kata several years ago.

Why?

Rocket
25th September 2002, 14:47
Robert,

Why? Curiosity mostly.... I've trained with Shito-Ryu and Koho-Ryu folks who perform a number of Ryuei-Ryu kata, but none knew Ohan. I know its difficult to do via written format, but can you describe it? Is it long/short, say in comparison to Niseishi, Anan, Pachu, Paiku, or Heiku?

"Rocket"

Roy J. Hobbs :beer:

Paihequan
29th September 2002, 00:28
Once again I may be able to be of service as I believe that I have Video of Ohan being performed by Sakumoto in my video archives!

Ron Goninan

Rocket
29th September 2002, 15:31
Ron,

Thanks! Have sent you a private e-mail.

"Rocket"

Roy J. Hobbs

Pavel Dolgachov
1st October 2002, 14:14
I have question. Why Sakumoto Tsuguo in his videotapes "All kata of Ryuei-ryu" didn't show Ohan and sanchin kata? I saw small part of his Sanchin training. It's similar to Goju-ryu Sanchin.

And one more question. In WKF kata rules there is divisions by styles: Shotokan, Goju-ryu, Shito-ryu and Wado-ryu. In Shito-ryu division there are few katas from Ryuei-ryu. Are these katas were studied by Mabuni Kenwa or they were included in modern times? I think Sakumoto Tsuguo WUKO World Champion participated as Shi-to ryu stylist.

1st October 2002, 14:16
Originally posted by Pavel Dolgachov

And one more question. In WKF kata rules there is divisions by styles: Shotokan, Goju-ryu, Shito-ryu and Wado-ryu. In Shito-ryu division there are few katas from Ryuei-ryu. Are these katas were studied by Mabuni Kenwa or they were included in modern times? I think Sakumoto Tsuguo WUKO World Champion participated as Shi-to ryu stylist.

Maybe they just have anywhere else to put him.

Rob Alvelais
1st October 2002, 20:07
Originally posted by Pavel Dolgachov
I

And one more question. In WKF kata rules there is divisions by styles: Shotokan, Goju-ryu, Shito-ryu and Wado-ryu. In Shito-ryu division there are few katas from Ryuei-ryu. Are these katas were studied by Mabuni Kenwa or they were included in modern times?

No, they were not practiced by Mabuni. Here's the skinny. At the time that these rules were being codified, in particular the kata lists you mention, a member of Hayashi Ha Shito Ryu Kai was on the committee that came up with these rules. So, since the Ryuei Ryu kata were part of the Hayashi Ha syllabus, they got included in the Shito Ryu kata list.

I think Sakumoto Tsuguo WUKO World Champion participated as Shi-to ryu stylist.
No, he participated as a member of the Japanese team. I'm told that in the preliminary rounds he performed the Goju version of Seipai and the Shito Ryu version of Seienchin, I'm not sure. But, the requirement at that time, was that the competitor do a kata from the "mandatory list", during the preliminary rounds. These kata could be from either Shotokan, Shito Ryu, Wado Ryu or Goju Ryu. Not that the competitor had to declare a style. For example, one could have, back then, do Kanku Dai first round, Wado's Rohai the second round, and in the third round do any kata from any of the 4 styles, as long as it was on the recognized list of kata from any of the 4 styles. Since Annan was on the list (for Shito Ryu) Sakumoto could do it, but only in the final round.

Rob

Pavel Dolgachov
2nd October 2002, 13:43
At the time that these rules were being codified, in particular the kata lists you mention, a member of Hayashi Ha Shito Ryu Kai was on the committee that came up with these rules.
It was Hayashi Teruo by himself?

Not that the competitor had to declare a style. For example, one could have, back then, do Kanku Dai first round, Wado's Rohai the second round, and in the third round do any kata from any of the 4 styles, as long as it was on the recognized list of kata from any of the 4 styles.
I think it's more good. I practise Goju-ryu and try to study Ryuei-ryu by videotapes. But new rules are different... :(

Where is it possible to see Ohan on video?