PDA

View Full Version : Quitting your job in Japan

Jody Holeton
27th September 2002, 00:39
Dear all,

Has anybody ever heard of ANYONE quitting their job here in Japan?

JETs? English teachers? ETC?

Will it mess up your Visa? Will you be blacklisted?

I have heard stories of blacklists BUT I don't know what to believe.

I have heard that NO foreigners get fired here, that employers just wont redo contracts.

ANybody with info, please contact me.
Thanks!

:D

27th September 2002, 00:55
Japanese Labor Standards Law requires that if employers fire you they ust give you 1 month notice or the salary you are due plus an additional months salary as compensation.

There is no "blacklist" in Japan and your visa should be ok if you just quite......unless it is due for re-newal soon.

I was a member of the Tokyo General Workers Union for several years and had to deal with this kind of thing every once in a while.

Jody Holeton
27th September 2002, 01:26
Dear Rob,

The person I am talking about has 9 months left on thier Visa.

The person in question is looking to move to a bigger city (close to someone they care about).

Do you think that they will have trouble finding a new English teaching job?

I am trying to set them up for a program like the JET and Earlham Program but they interview 6 months from now.

Any info would be appreciated!

Their job situation is BAD!

gmellis
27th September 2002, 02:01
Assuming that their next job will sponsor their visa once the current one expires, I don't see why they would have any problems, as the period of the visa is set once authorized (barring anything like being charged with a crime or whatnot). I must tell you, though, that this is just from heresay. I quit my rancid English teaching job 4 months into the new contract, but had a spouse visa to fall back on, so I cannot provide any forsthand information, only what I have heard. The key issue is confirming that the next position will provide their sponsorship. Assuming that is ok, I say, get them the hell out of there double-time. I know what it's like to be in a miserable teaching job in the boonies. I quit my teaching job, because the principle whose school I transfered to (my last principle was a living Buddha I tell you; one of the noblest, most generous, warm-hearted and open-minded men I have yet to meet here) was an arm-chair English speaker (spells trouble already) and was unhappy that I was chatting with teachers in Japanese when I didn't have classes. So he called me in one day and gave me the "We are all very impressed with your Japanese, Greg, but you are here to serve the city, and I would like you to start speaking English to everybody" routine. No, not just the English teachers and students (as I had been doing) ALL THE GODDAMN TEACHERS, WHETHER THEY SPOKE ENGLISH OR NOT!!!! I was gone in 5 weeks. City hall was in a panic and pleading me to stay (probably more because it would look bad, and because I was the second most popular teaching in our city with the kids). So I can sympathize. Get them out of there fast, before they lose it.

red_fists
27th September 2002, 02:26
Jody.

As mentioned there shouldn't be any probs.
Like Greg I am on a spouses Visa (from day 1).

They should just have to register their new Job with their local muncipality within 2 weeks after changing Jobs.

BAD things will happen if you leave it longer than 2 weeks.
You have to sign an apology form and give a reason why you didn't report it earlier and promise never to do it again.

Cheers.

red_fists
27th September 2002, 02:28
Just adding a bit of drift here.

Who of E-Budo members in Japan is NOT on a spouses Visa??

Looks like most of the Guys I know are on one or even "permanent residence".

Cheers.

Jody Holeton
27th September 2002, 02:37
Their job--

40 contact hours
10-7:30 M-F and 10-12 on Sat
NO KEY MONEY
NO PAYCHECK UNTIL AFTER A MONTH AND A HALF into the contract
They started work the day AFTER they arrived in-country
Their boss has yakuza connections and an import/export business
etc.
etc.

The problem is they haven't found a NEW job in thier desired location yet. Thats the sticker.
I'm hoping to help them find a job ASAP when/if they quit.

If they just quit now, will they have to do some other type of Visa work without a job?

27th September 2002, 06:44
Originally posted by Jody Holeton
Their job--

40 contact hours
10-7:30 M-F and 10-12 on Sat
NO KEY MONEY
NO PAYCHECK UNTIL AFTER A MONTH AND A HALF into the contract
They started work the day AFTER they arrived in-country

Sounds pretty typical for Eikaiwa in the sticks.
Bend'em over and start screwin'em from day 1.

Their boss has yakuza connections and an import/export business

Their bluffing................I wouldn't worry about that at all.
Some one threatened me with the Yakuza one time and I handed them the phone and said "call'em I'll wait". Nothing happend.
The Yakuza don't get involved in labor disputes with an English teacher..........it's not worth their time...............and they don't want any attention drawn to themselves, if anything it would blow up in their face.
If by the off chance there is a problem maybe you can hire some "pipe hittin' gaijin to work him over with a pair of pliers and blow torch" ;)
(I love that line.............Pulp Fiction)

The problem is they haven't found a NEW job in thier desired location yet. Thats the sticker.
I'm hoping to help them find a job ASAP when/if they quit.

I would line up a bunch of interviews wherever they are and take time off work (call in sick or whatever), sign on with a company that can sponsor your visa even if it isn't such a great job. Then once your here you can look for better work...........like the rest of us. ;)

If they just quit now, will they have to do some other type of Visa work without a job?

They can't cancel your visa if you don't finish your contract, they may say that but it is BS, If they do they have to explain to immigration why they fired you and believe me Eikaiwa Schools DON'T want immigration rooting around through their records.......which is what they will do when the investigate. ...........I wouldn't advertise the fact that you don't have a job to the immigration folks either but you should be OK until you can get another job lined up.

gmellis
27th September 2002, 07:31
No job set up? Over 6 months left on their visa? Sounds like they are a good candidate for a NOVA, AEON or GEOS school. Those schools will train you, set you up with housing and are located in so many areas, the chance of them getting a job near their lubby-dubby hubby are quite high. Like Robert says, they can then look for better work later. Those big schools rot the brain, but they are survivable. That would be my sugestion. Also, they would probably love to hire your friend because they don't have to do any visa paperwork for a while.

As for the yakuza/thug connection, exactly what Robert says. C'mon, like they reeally are gonna take time out of their busy schedules on more lucrative enterprises to ruff up a gaijin for quitting some school. Pleeease:rolleyes:

27th September 2002, 07:37
Originally posted by gmellis

As for the yakuza/thug connection, exactly what Robert says. C'mon, like they reeally are gonna take time out of their busy schedules on more lucrative enterprises to ruff up a gaijin for quitting some school. Pleeease:rolleyes:

If I was an up and coming "Yak" I wouldn't take time out of my busy day of Pimp'in and Whore'n to mess with some gainjin that has a tiff with their boss.
Plus the Boss would have to compensate me in some way......i.e. MONEY! and Eikaiwa owners are too cheap for that.

Jody Holeton
27th September 2002, 07:48
Thanks guys!

I'm buying the beer when I'm comin to Tokyo!

Why does it have to be so hard in JAPAN?

What do you guys think about me doing a survival guide for Japan website?

hyaku
27th September 2002, 07:55
Originally posted by red_fists
Just adding a bit of drift here.

Who of E-Budo members in Japan is NOT on a spouses Visa?

Cheers.

Me lol. I got my residency years ago. That was perhaps before they tightened things up.

I know one guy who was on a one year work who got married and received six months!

Hyakutake Colin

http://www.bunbun.ne.jp/~sword/

red_fists
27th September 2002, 07:56
Thanks guys!
I'm buying the beer when I'm comin to Tokyo!

Dangerous statement to make. :D

You coming down on Sunday?
Train stops at Shinjuku from Utsunomiya, and I think your train ride is shorter than Jeffs.

Why does it have to be so hard in JAPAN?

About the same as I and my Wife have experienced in other countries.

What do you guys think about me doing a survival guide for Japan website?

Go for it. Might save a few headaches.

Cheers.

Jeff Hamacher
27th September 2002, 07:58
Originally posted by gmellis
>> Sounds like they are a good candidate for a NOVA, AEON or GEOS school. <<

one sticking point, Greg: GEOS has (had?) a policy of only hiring teaching staff from overseas, not within japan. AEON may have a similar policy, since it's an offshoot of the GEOS outfit. if their current policy allows a candidate to hire on from within japan, i've heard generally good things about both schools. GEOS seems to give their teachers a fair number of opportunities for professional development, so while the day-to-day work might be brain-rotting, at least you have a chance to learn something about foreign language instruction.

NOVA will almost certainly let you hire on from within japan, but i've heard less positive reports about workloads and lack of paid leave (hence the nickname NO VAcation). if you're normally scheduled to work on a day designated as a national holiday, you don't get the day off, either. still, in a pinch, it's better than unemployment and NOVA has national coverage. food for thought ...

Jody Holeton
29th October 2002, 00:21
Dear all,

Thanks to everybody, your posts here AND the slew of private messages have REALLY helped out! My friend is doing better and is FREE of her old job!!!

My friend's boss freaked! My friend's boss has said they are going to sue so we are being extra careful. I have contacted a lawyer in AMerica and here in Japan and I will post what happens.

Thanks again--Jody

BTW Finding an English teaching job IS NOT a problem its finding a good one with good hours.

29th October 2002, 00:46
My friend's boss freaked! My friend's boss has said they are going to sue so we are being extra careful. I have contacted a lawyer in AMerica and here in Japan and I will post what happens.

Jody,

I seriously doubt the guy will sue you. It will cost him more than he could ever recover. You can't sue someone for quitting their job.........unless there are other circumstances involved.......but if someone just doesn't want to work there and quits there is really nothing the employer can do. Even if he does sue he still has to collect.........and that's the hard part.

Jody Holeton
29th October 2002, 00:55
This has been one big old headache!

I had to go pick up some stuff from my friend's apartment and the guy was waiting (he even put little pieces of paper in teh door to see if it has been openned or not!).

He said he was going to charge all the expenses to the former teacher! I would love for him to bring this out in an American court! I can see the press articles already!

No pay for a month and a half?
Key money?
40 contact hours?
Verbal harassment?
No paperwork on what he is deducting out of your paycheck?
No paperwork for your paycheck?
Mandatory weekend teaching sessions on top of your regular teaching schedule at other schools?
No sickdays?
and the list goes on and on and on....

Thanks for the support guys!
---Jody

Exorcist_Fist
29th October 2002, 01:02
In my experience they can't charge ¤¤¤¤ to you if they can't find you. Just tell him your friend moved back to the states and he can go ¤¤¤¤ himself. Even if your friend moved 2 blocks away, the amount of paperwork/effort the guy will have to go through should kill his !!!!!!!!.

btw, does your friend have any skills that might allow them to find a non english teaching job?

I worked at Aeon once and I will never teach english again. I dont even teach my mother-in-law and I live with her.

29th October 2002, 01:03

No pay for a month and a half?
Key money?
40 contact hours?
Verbal harassment?
No paperwork on what he is deducting out of your paycheck?
No paperwork for your paycheck?
Mandatory weekend teaching sessions on top of your regular teaching schedule at other schools?
No sickdays?

---Jody

Some of the things you mentioned are against the Japanese Labor Standards Law.....you could actually sue HIM!
These are the items.

1) No sickdays? (big no-no here)
2) No paperwork on what he is deducting out of your paycheck? (tell him you need paperwork on it so you can pay taxes.....if he doesn't give it then report him)
3) No paperwork for your paycheck? (same as #2)
4) No pay for a month and a half? (not paying wages on the prearranged pay day can be considered as a breach of contract)

I say you break out the KY and give this clown a serious assxxxxing.

Jody Holeton
29th October 2002, 01:44
Thanks Rob!

You are absolutely right and I have been saying those things since after week 1, when he started his BS!

Dear Silent Dan,

The person in question has a BA in ENglish and a minor in Biology. No computer experience and their only foreign language is French with some Spainish (with some sanskrit thrown in from the last 6 months).

There are OTHER job opportunities in Japan but they are a bit shady for my tastes...

29th October 2002, 04:43
Jody,

here is a list of different Unions in Japan.

http://oohara.mt.tama.hosei.ac.jp/links/general-e.html

Scroll down to: Professional, Enterprise and General Unions

They might be able to help.

Kimpatsu
29th October 2002, 06:13
Jody,
It might be possible for your friend to get a job teaching corporate English. At least then the work hours would be the same as the office's (official) work hours; i.e., 9 to 5. As to the rest, Robert's right on the money about unions, but if all else fails, maybe we should see about an e-budo en masse attack... ;)