PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know how to enter K-1 or Pride?

Jody Holeton
27th September 2002, 02:45
Dear all,

Anybody here know how people can enter or get qualified for these events?

Any info would be appreciated!:D

red_fists
27th September 2002, 02:50
Not sure.

But I think best would be to join a school that trains people for that type of competition and take it from there.

Cheers.

Jody Holeton
27th September 2002, 03:04
I have friends back in America who do MMA and kickboxing and they were interested.

Would they have to join a school in Japan? Do they originally have to be from Japan?

spence20
27th September 2002, 03:16
I think Nobuhiko Takada's official Pride gym is situated in Musahi-Shinjo in Tokyo. If you're ever around there you might want to check in there and talk with some of the guys there. I believe there's at least one "live-in" foreign student there.

However, I had a couple of firends who trained there and they didn't speak very highly of the place in terms of training.

red_fists
27th September 2002, 03:16
Hi Jody.

K1:
There are some fights and venues overseas that hold K1 fights.

They are pretty much standup fights only, with ground techniques being forbidden. (can't remember full details)

K1 Site (http://www.k-1gp.net/)

Pride:
From what I see this is closer to the UFC, but I heard some rumours of match rigging and so on.

Pride site (http://www.pridefc.com/)

Contac them via their sites and ask them.
But I suspect you would first have to proof yourself in local comps, regional comps, etc.

Cheers.

vadrip
30th September 2002, 05:13
You would have to prove yourself in other MMA competitions if you an foreigner in order to fight in Pride, but the same can't be said for the number of inexperienced japanese martial artists and prowrestlers that get slaughter by more experienced MMA fighters in Pride. There is also a tournament style Prepride event as well that would qualify you to fight in Pride too. The takada dojo only has two good fighters Sakuraba and Matsui, actually Matsui isn't that great, but he has some skill. Sakuraba is injuried at the moment, so he won't be training for awhile. The Takada dojo is mainly prowrestlers, who also do MMA, so you best bet to train MMA would be a Shooto or Pancrase school. Shooto and Pancrase iin Japan has a high level of praticioners and is a breeding for talent.

Jody Holeton
30th September 2002, 05:35
Is there a list of Shooto or Pankrase schools I can check out?

I live in Utsunomiya, would there be anything like that out here?

There is supposed to be a Gracies Jujitsu guy in Mibu.

BTW the guy I was hoping would do Pride is Frank Amalfitano!

- Nationally Rated Judo Player - Member of a National Judo Team - 2 x National Jujitsu Champ -

Full contact fighting record of 16-02
High school wrestling state champion

Rated #1 heavy weight point fighter in michigan

Rated #4 in the country for point fighting

Rated #62 in the world full contact fighter

Frank should fight in Pride! He would kick everybodies ass!

vadrip
1st October 2002, 02:58
Go to www.mma.tv and then go to their discussion forums they have a shooto section and list some shooto websites.