PDA

View Full Version : Suuji No Kun

Nyuck3X
29th September 2002, 20:13
I was watching my Yamanni-ryu tape by Toshihiro Oshiro Sensei
and noticed the narrator states that there is a begining
and advanced form of Suuji No Kun. I did not study very long with
Oshiro Sensei but I don't ever remember seeing nor hearing
about this. Can someone please elaborate on this for me?

Thanks in advance.

Rob Alvelais
30th September 2002, 22:48
Oshiro Sensei uses two Suuji no kon forms that are virtually identical except for the winding blocks in the places where the downward "blocks" are in the kata. Our Fall seminar is coming up in November, come on down and learn them!

For seminar info see www.oshirodojo.com

Rob

Nyuck3X
30th September 2002, 23:00
Thanks Alvelais Sensei, I was hoping you would be monitoring
this board. I'm gonna try to make it down to the seminar if all
goes well.

On another note, I have contacted you once before regarding
training when I was living in Redwood City. We have a common
aquaintance, Flaviano Sensei. Have you heard from him lately?
I went to see him and he seems to have relocated.

Thanks again.

Doug Daulton
4th October 2002, 02:55
A couple of thoughts on the differences about Beginning & Advanced Kata, with no specific reference to Oshiro Sensei.[list=1] Advanced Waza: Often times folks are confused by what is actually the same kata. However, as the teacher/practitioner advances, their expression of the individual waza becomes cleaner, more efficient often so much so that it looks like different kata all together.

Sho vs. Dai Kata: As I understand it, often times, after a teacher passes on two seniors may have had different interpretations of a kata and the waza contained therein. In these cases, bot interpretations may have been seen as completely valid. Rather than arguing about who was right, these seniors would simply name their variations Sho and Dai. Over time, these interpretations were often misunderstood or misrepresented as Basic and Advanced versions of the same forms. [/list=1]This is just a bit of food for thought. In the end, it is always best to check the history of the kata with your teacher.

Regards,

Nyuck3X
4th October 2002, 20:33
Thank-you Mr. Daulton,
This supports my feelings about the Passai katas I've learned
in Kobayashi/Shorin-ryu and the ones found in Shobayashi
and Matsubayashi.