PDA

View Full Version : Nodachi pic

Soulend
1st October 2002, 08:41
Hello all. I am currently making a little website, and I wonder if anyone has a picture of a nodachi (mounted) which I would be allowed to use on it. Is a nodachi precisely the same thing as a choken?
Also, is there a specific length in shaku the blade must be in order to qualify as a 'nodachi'?

I thank you in advance for any help.

hyaku
1st October 2002, 09:26
Hello there. I think Choken (long sword) is just my Ryu's name for a Nodachi.

Sorry I dont have a pic in Tachi mount.

Regards Hykutake Colin

http://www.bunbun.ne.jp/~sword/

ghp
1st October 2002, 20:52
Here's a photo of Otsuyama sensei, just to show what a "Real Sword" looks like :D -- I think it came from Colin. The photo is just to illustrate the nodachi -- I have no authority to allow its use.

--Guy

Soulend
1st October 2002, 22:25
Ahh darn. That's a really good pic, too.

hyaku
1st October 2002, 23:47
Thanks Guy

That was his 3.8. He went on to draw a 4 shaku before giving up.

Hyakutake Colin

Carl Elder
2nd October 2002, 02:52
How would you draw a sword that big? Its almost twice as long as his arm! Just curious, is there anywhere you can buy no-dachi?

hyaku
2nd October 2002, 03:41
Originally posted by Carl Elder

How would you draw a sword that big? Its almost twice as long as his arm! Just curious, is there anywhere you can buy no-dachi?

Good sayabiki and a "very long" low stance. Draws are with the saya reversed drawing upwards.

There are people that make them but its the polish and fittings that cost the money. I have to say that the particular person shown used very light weapons. Would not fancy doing tameshigiri with it, but it would slice in between someone legs or through the neck nicely!

Hyakutake Colin

kabutoki
2nd October 2002, 10:43
hi !
so you turn the saya around like for an upward cut ? it still seems almost impossible for me. is there a video or something availiable to see it in action ? a short one to download be very nice on your site, hyakutake.

yours
karsten

hyaku
2nd October 2002, 16:37
Originally posted by kabutoki [/i]
hi !
so you turn the saya around like for an upward cut ? it still seems almost impossible for me. is there a video or something availiable to see it in action ? a short one to download be very nice on your site, hyakutake.

yours
karsten
I KNOW Karsten

Actually I bought a new camera today that does 90 mins of mpegs.

I will get on to it in time.

Hyakutake Colin

kabutoki
2nd October 2002, 16:57
hello hyakutake,
now you made me curious. i´m looking forward to see it.
good shooting

karsten