PDA

View Full Version : What do you understand when talking about:"Martial"?

Óscar Recio
5th October 2002, 18:39
Yes...another "silly thread of the week".
I was reading an interview with Takamura sensei to my students a few days ago,
"The term "martial arts" are thrown around a lot without any idea of their meaning. Martial means war or conflict. In a martial arts dojo we train for conflict. Without physical and psychological conflict there is no "martial" in martial art. Fear, to be overcome must be confronted and experienced. Fear must become part of your life experience. Appreciation of fear and the appropriate reaction when confronting fear is the sign of a mature martial artist. Are not your dojo mates and sensei the ones that you should ultimately trust when learning to confront your fears. In a real dojo, they are.
Remember that most people who call themselves martial artists are nothing of the sort. Most dojos are not martial arts dojos either. They are glorified social clubs thriving in an environment of emotional stimulation which is heightened by a false or extremely limited perception of danger. When real danger shows itself in such a dojo the participants run for cover. In a real dojo the participants run towards the conflict."
Takamura Yukiyoshi
What do you undesrtand by "Martial"?
Thanks,
Óscar Recio

Óscar Recio
5th October 2002, 18:41
Sorry i forgot to write this...
http://www.shinyokai.com/interview.htm
There you can find the complete interview.
Thanks,
Óscar Recio