PDA

View Full Version : Looking for sai's made in Okinawa

Daniel Bell
7th October 2002, 04:45
I'm looking for a pair of sai's made in okinawa, an online site or whatever would help to. I can't seem to find one using the search engines i usually use.

Bob
8th October 2002, 18:58
you can try this site: http://www.karateshorinkan.com/store/d000001.htm

or you can go to a search engine and type in shureido, there's many stores that ship shureido products. Shureido is located in Okinawa, but there weapons are the most expensive.

E.elemental
6th November 2004, 19:00
Hello! :)

I wonder if there are anything callad "Okinawan design of Sai". What I mean is, some say that the traditional Sais are round in shape and others say that they are octangular. As I have been taught the shape of the sai depends on the maker and method and not "traditional design". The first recorded in Okinawa, what shape were they in?

Hope thet maked sense.

harleyt26
7th November 2004, 01:43
Most of the older ones I have seen have been round basicly but the shape of the handle end often changes some round like a ball bearing and some octagon like a bolt head some cylindrical and diamond shaped or pyramid like.I have been told that the octagon would be better for combat against weapons but the round shape does not damage the kumi bos as much.I do not know which was first but I would think the round shape would have been easier to make.Maybe not,I do not know anything about working with metal. Tom Hodges

chizikunbo
7th November 2004, 05:10
http://shureidousa.com/kobudo/sai.html

BEST YOU CAN GET ;)

Steven Malanosk
7th November 2004, 06:56
Do a search on ebay for shureido and you will find a few different items, sai included.

The guy selling them lives in Okinawa and is legit.

He buys stuff right from Shureido in Naha.

I have bought a towel with the kempo hakku on it from him, and one of my black belts bought a couple of books from him.

chizikunbo
7th November 2004, 11:39
thats cheap if he is legit?

E.elemental
7th November 2004, 13:17
I have a pair of Shureido Sai, and they are good. But my peronal favorite is Peter Carbones Sai. They are a different type of Sai though so comparing them is not really right in my opinion. And in the end its a matter of taste. :)

But this was exactly what my question was all about "Original Okinawan Weapons of Self-Defense" as it is stated on the Shureido USA site. Are there anything like "original design of Okinawa" or did the design depend on availibility of materiels and so on?

chizikunbo
7th November 2004, 13:25
I think that the closest to the original okinawan sai are the Oyata sai (www.ryu-te-supplies.com) for many reason,
1. the distance between the side prongs and the main "blade" is smaller than modernsai, giving better grip for handeling.
2.The tips of the sids prongs point inward as opposed to outward, making it better for trapping, katana, bo ect.
3.They are like the enery sai of agena like Mr. Carbone makes, the "explode" from the tip.
Just my opinion.

E.elemental
7th November 2004, 14:15
Originally posted by chizikunbo
I think that the closest to the original okinawan sai are the Oyata sai (www.ryu-te-supplies.com)

Thanks. Does anyone have more pictures of the Oyata Sai? They are nor really shown clearly on the pictures i think. And this may be a stupid question, but what are the materials, they almost seem white?

By the way, does anyone disagrre if I said that historical Sais could be in various shapes and forms? Well within some limits of course! :D