PDA

View Full Version : Japan animal lover?

hyaku
7th October 2002, 11:33
I do remember catching a glimpse of this web site.

The things people do for stress?

One Sick Puppy

On September 30, a 27-year-old man from Hiroshima Prefecture was sentenced by a Fukuoka District court to six months in prison for violating the Cruelty to Animals Act. The man had taken photos of cats being tortured and posted them on the Internet. In his defense, the man described his troubled mental state leading up to the incident and claimed that the torture of cats had helped him to relieve his stress. Spectators from around the country, who came to the trial, rejected the defendant ís attempt to portray himself as a victim of society.

Hyakutake Colin

7th October 2002, 14:20
Originally posted by hyaku
I do remember catching a glimpse of this web site.

The things people do for stress?

One Sick Puppy

On September 30, a 27-year-old man from Hiroshima Prefecture was sentenced by a Fukuoka District court to six months in prison for violating the Cruelty to Animals Act. The man had taken photos of cats being tortured and posted them on the Internet. In his defense, the man described his troubled mental state leading up to the incident and claimed that the torture of cats had helped him to relieve his stress. Spectators from around the country, who came to the trial, rejected the defendant ís attempt to portray himself as a victim of society.

Hyakutake Colin

Maybe he should get the same treatment as the cats......torture him and put his picture up on the Internet:mad:

Jody Holeton
8th October 2002, 00:08
Dear Rob,

I recently rescued a stray from traffic (I have the police paperwork to prove it too!) and from my experiences here in Japan, people seem alot colder towards their animals than what I'm used to.

Are animals and pets part of the Japanese throw-away mentality?

Soulend
8th October 2002, 01:42
Originally posted by Jody Holeton
Are animals and pets part of the Japanese throw-away mentality?

This would be a shame, especially considering the early Japanese people's closeness to nature, and the seemingly widespead belief in earlier times that someone who kills or injures something which is weaker than himself is a coward. But perhaps this applies only to other human beings in some people's minds.

I agree with Hyaku on the cat-torturer. Sick bastard. :redhot:

red_fists
8th October 2002, 01:47
Actually, most Pets in Japan are so spoiled and pampered it can make you sick.

Just walk into any bigger Pet store here and look at the goods from heated blankets, etc.

Cheers.

Kimpatsu
8th October 2002, 02:07
The accoutrements may seem pampering, Peter, but the treatment of animals per se is anything but. Just look at the conditions under which pets are held for sale in pet shops. Confined spaces, irregular cage cleaning, sweatshop heat, too little water... If Japanese pet shops were in Britain, the owners would all be under arrest.

red_fists
8th October 2002, 02:14
Tony.

Don't know which pet-shops you go to, but the ones I have seen (NOT the ones in the Supermarket) were well done.
Most have compuslory regular checkups for Pets that were sold via them, vet on staff, etc.

But than as b4 it looks like Britain again is superior to Japan, wonder why you still stick it out here if britain is soo much better.

I honestly doubt that pet shops anywhere treat their Pets that much differently.

Seeya.

P.S.: Let me know when I need to buy you that farewell Drink.

Jeff Hamacher
8th October 2002, 02:14
Originally posted by Soulend
>> ... especially considering the early Japanese people's closeness to nature, ... <<

even these days, many traditionally-minded japanese trot out this old chestnut, but in modern japan nothing could be further from the truth.

for all its technological wizardry, japan is horribly behind on waste management, environmental protection, and recycling programs. when i first arrived in 1996 and started living in Nagano City, PET bottles (which are designed specifically to be recycled) were put out with burnable trash. up until a few years ago, local governments handed out rebates against the purchase of household incinerators and there are still no laws preventing the burning of trash within city limits. most of what ends up in those incinerators is either organic/raw waste which should be going into a composter (at long last, the old incinerator rebate has been changed into a household composter rebate), or paper which ought to be going into the recycling bin. would you believe that, on an average business day in this country, 50 million pairs of disposable chopsticks get used? what's wrong with washable plastic ones, anyway? overfishing, whaling, and other offenses don't do much to put japan at the top of the environmentally friendly list. i don't welcome total economic collapse for japan, but perhaps a little belt-tightening will help to encourage more effort on the environmental front. this country needs so badly to get its act together.

and i sort of agree with Peter: pets get pampered all to hell (though not quite as completely as the children!). still, i don't think that the average japanese really has any particular concern for animals or the environment in which they live. i suppose i'm fortunate to have met a few japanese who really give a damn, e.g. if you have a chance to visit Jigokudani ("Hell Valley") Hotsprings in northern Nagano's winter, you should be able to catch up with Mr. Hara and a big pack of monkeys.

Kimpatsu
8th October 2002, 02:33
Originally posted by red_fists
But than as b4 it looks like Britain again is superior to Japan, wonder why you still stick it out here if britain is soo much better.

Peter,
With this willful misunderstanding, you should be a politician.
The pet shop I have in mind specifically is in Osaka. It's notorious locally for the conditions in which the animals are kept, and it's right by Sonezaki Police Station in the Ohatsutenjin Arcade. The police know about it, and yet they do nothing. Why do you think that is? (Answers on a postcard, please...)

red_fists
8th October 2002, 02:39
Tony.

Exactly my point there are alwasy a few rotten apples in the bunch.

As for the police not doing anything, have you filed a complaint or reported animal abuse to them or anybody else.
If not, than their hands are bound.

Same applies in britain and the rest of the world.

Seeya.

Kimpatsu
8th October 2002, 02:45
Many people have filed complaints. Also, I wouldn't think their hands are bound; rather, if they see a crime being committed, surely they are duty-bound to intervene?
This place in Osaka is a travesty. People have even written in the local press about it, all to no avail. Short of nuking the owners, I don't know what more can be done.

red_fists
8th October 2002, 02:51
Originally posted by Kimpatsu
Also, I wouldn't think their hands are bound; rather, if they see a crime being committed, surely they are duty-bound to intervene?

Were those complaints valid under the applicable japanese laws?

This place in Osaka is a travesty. People have even written in the local press about it, all to no avail. Short of nuking the owners, I don't know what more can be done.

Hmm, lets see a full-out boycott with nobody buying from him would work well.

Complaining to his Landlord to get his lease revoked might work.
If he is in a Mall, the comined Shop-owners could oust him easily or force him to upgrade the standard.

There are many ways open to the ones that really want to force a point.

Cheers.

Kimpatsu
8th October 2002, 02:56
Having no idea which Japanese laws apply, I can't answer your first question, except to say: Surely common sense says that if the animals are suffering, then neglect or cruelty must apply. The current theory doing the rounds is that the police are taking kickbacks to look the other way. (This seems true not only of the pet shop; owners of other stores regularly dump rotting garbage right there in the street, and nobody does anything.) A boycott seems like a good idea, but is alien to the Japanese psyche, so I still favour the nukem option. :D

red_fists
8th October 2002, 03:02
Tony.

"Common sense" what is that??

So far nobody has been able to define that for me, nor have 2 people agreed on what it is.

Possibility exists of course that the police might be getting a kickback.

Cheers.

Kimpatsu
8th October 2002, 03:27
A lawyer once told me that if you think someone's behaviour is illegal, it probably is. (I know, I know, this raises questions of "personal vs. public morality", such as the majority of over-65s believing that homosexuality should be legislated against, i.e., made illegal, whereas the majority of 18- to 25-YOs think that it's a private matter between consenting individuals.) However, is there anyone who would deny wanton cruelty to animals, including neglect, is beyond the pale? Therefore, where the majority agree, as in this case, I would say that "common sense" has prevailed.

hyaku
8th October 2002, 06:47
I find that most of them really have no experience of animals. It's strange when you see them make a grab for one and pull it about like a stuffed toy. I have spend some time explaning that the thing they arre holding by the tail does actually feel

Then as said there are the spoilers. Its either and inside animal such as a toy or minature breed. Then the outside type which could remain chained up for its whole life.

On TV they even have a mobile funeral service. They take away the pet, incinerate it and bring back the ashes.

I the think the law making it illegal to be cruel to animals is a recent one.

Rescued my pedigree cat from a dog shop with about 80 dogs. She was severely distressed at first.

Hyakutake Colin