PDA

View Full Version : Black judogi

R Erman
8th October 2002, 04:12
I will probably post this in the supplies forum also, but I feel there are probably more involved in the kans that have an idea on black judogi.

Does anyone know where to get a quality black judogi? I've tried the dying thing before, and I'll do it again if necessary, but I'd like to find a good black judo gi.

I just had my black proforce double weave rip on me during moderate randori(bottom portion of the jacket, not the reinforced upper part), so I don't think I'll try that brand again. A simple web search gave me few options as most of the well-known makers don't make a black gi.

Any Ideas?

Carl Elder
8th October 2002, 04:19
I have a ronin brand black judo gi that I like very much. It was giving to me by a freind who doesn't fit in it anymore, he had it for 2 years, and I've had it for about one and it hasnt ripped yet. My gi's go through a lot of wear also ive been through about 4 differnt gi in 6 years. They were just heavy weight gi before, Ive only gone through 1 judo type gi. I will only get judo gi from now on though they last me much longer. I found a site that sells them: http://www.discountmas.com/ronbranjudun.html But a search for ronin gi brought up a lot of links also. Hope this helps. :smilejapa

R Erman
8th October 2002, 04:30
Much Thanks.

I might give 'em a try. Do they have the longer jacket with the cross-stitching on the lower half?

Steven Malanosk
8th October 2002, 04:52
Honda, the oldest martial arts supllier in New York City, carries a nice priced black judogi that is lighter than the Ronin. Ronin, is great, but very heavy, and although wonderfull in cold weather, here in Fla., it is a no no, during the summer.

I use both.

But if your interested:
http://www.hondamartialartssupply.com/

Kinjisan in Brooklnn carries Ronin brand.
http://www.kinjisan.com/

Both stores are fantastic as far as quality and customer service. They are owned and operated, by real old school martial artists, who practice what they preach.

Tell em Peter Urban's addopted son Steve from Florida, sent you. It wont effect your transaction, but it'll give me brownie points.:p

R Erman
8th October 2002, 14:10
Thanks again, everyone, for the replies/suggestions.

I think I'll try the ronin, pretty soon.

Needless to say I was pretty peeved when mine ripped under only moderate stress.

Jason Chambers
21st January 2003, 14:57
www.juka.com

Very high quality... and very pricey.

O'Neill
21st January 2003, 16:06
This company has great uwagi that fit better with hakama than any other heavy top and they come in a variety of colors. Tough uniform with a great fit. I don't have their url on me but look them up. I haver owned just about everything else and these are great!

Tamdhu
21st January 2003, 16:31
If you don't want your gi to rip during grappling or throwing, don't use the little cloth ties to fasten it. Either tie them back, cut them off or just plain ignore them and just use your belt. Most rips begin at the base of those little ties and then spread from there.

Tamdhu
21st January 2003, 17:41
John Lindsey ripped my gi a few months ago under the left arm

I've heard he can be a real bastard that way, just walking up to people unannounced and tearing their gi as a pre-emptive show of force.

; )

R Erman
21st January 2003, 17:50
Originally posted by Shojin
Any updates on this?

Mr. Erman did you get a Ronin?

I ask this because I am sitting here about to get into mine for some training and I am looking at it thinking how impressed I am with it. It is heavy for sure and in summer it gets hot in there, but man I was ALWAYS ripping my Karate Gi even the 14oz! Not this one!

Regards,

Got one. Been using it for a couple of months now. I still use my proforce pants(I like the lighter weight pants, the Ronin Pants add twenty pounds if you start sweating:D ). I absolutely love the top though.

H3resy
21st January 2003, 18:03
I have so far only used KI Gi's.
A Heavy Cotton judo Gi I used for Aikido and a light weight on for Ninpo.
My current Light weight Gi has lasted for 3 and 1/2 years. I finally ripped the knees about a month ago And I will be getting a new one soon. I Like the KI Brand but I wanted to shop around a little for the other brands. The Ronin brand looks very promising.
I am also going to check out some uniforms here:
http://www.martialartsoutfitters.com/index.html

What have people found to be a good price vs functionality ratio for Gi's? If you pay more are you getting more?

J.Goldschmidt
22nd January 2003, 06:53
I Started training in Nov, and i still havent found a Gi, I have a question guys, we train out doors year round, except for special training like for repelling, pistols, throwing stars, and the like is all indoors, we have a tuff time finding Gis by us, what kind of Heavy Gi should i buy? a judo style gi right? i was reading the above posts, you guys think RONIN is the brand to go with or what?

my instuctor told us to buy gis if we could find them, and he said he would look for us too..

thanks

oh and how the heck do you guys get your names under that line at the bottom of the post?

and an icon by your name?

sorry "e-budo newbie"

Joshua Goldschmidt
Bujinkan Funin Dojo

Ka1yama
22nd January 2003, 15:13
Does anyone know is Ronin sells just thier pants?

Neil Stewart

tenchijin2
22nd January 2003, 20:57
I recently purchased a Bujin Design Black gi. I have a hard time with regular gi sizes because they're built for rather broad people with short legs and arms.

Bujin gi was a bit pricey... but with the custom alterations for only $20 and fabulous customer service, I am quite pleased. The gi fits nicely, and is of excellent quality.

MICKEY MULLINS
24th January 2003, 23:59
Glad I caught this thread,I have a few different gi.Mr.Ray is correct Ronin makes a very nice gi,albeit a bit heavy,however when the dojo hasnt fully warmed up this gi will make you sweat,and I mean hard.My personal favorite gi is my Dragon brand,Dude it is so close to a Tokaido it is not funny(See,I have one of these too).IMO You should check Dragon out,not too heavy,not too light,just right.I estimate to probably get about 2-3 years of regular training from it:-)
Mickey Mulins

Ka1yama
26th January 2003, 01:08
Thank you Mr. Rick

Neil Stewart

Pete Knox
26th October 2003, 03:41
Originally posted by tenchijin2
I recently purchased a Bujin Design Black gi. I have a hard time with regular gi sizes because they're built for rather broad people with short legs and arms.

Bujin gi was a bit pricey... but with the custom alterations for only $20 and fabulous customer service, I am quite pleased. The gi fits nicely, and is of excellent quality.

tenchijin2:

How is that bujin gi holding up? The reason I ask is that I've heard various reports on their durability. I'm interested to see if it can stand up to grappling and throws.

R Erman
26th October 2003, 12:55
Gentleman,

The ronin is the best way to go in my opinion, mine suffers from all manner of abuse.

Elf Tengu
26th October 2003, 14:08
For those of you in the UK, try www.playwell.co.uk for black judogi, and a speedy service for very reasonably priced equipment generally.

It's good to hear that there are plenty of clubs out there with training that is rigorous enough to rip a decent karate gi. When I first started training back in the 80's the biggest threat to my gi was repeated washing once it had reached the pale grey shade!

Nowadays I worry more that my sleeves will be ripped off with my arms still in them!

Marvellous stuff!

Sillal
26th October 2003, 14:47
My Juka gi lasted about 10 years before the pants finally tore out in one knee, a great gi, although they are a tad stiff and expensive.

My current gi is a Genbudo from Japan, that you can order from Mr. Kiyota in Baltimore. Its 100% cotton #10 canvas weave, but if you wash it frequently with a downy ball it feels like pajamas and is very light. You can also purchase each piece seperatly from Mr. Kiyoto.

cc_ninja
26th October 2003, 15:24
The ronin gi has been great for me. I am a BBB, (Big Boy of Budo)and for a long time had more torn gi than socks.(We throw hard)
The ronin gi has several features I liked.
It is almost indestuctable. It has the double thick lapel. It has no ties! The gi pants have padded knees,just for uke (When you drop it on thier heads)
All around a pretty descent gi. Only one downside,it is hot as all hell.

Hope this helps,
Richard Elizondo
admin@wanyunloong.com

MakotoDojo
26th October 2003, 15:41
Just a note that gi stayed on me all summer for out side training in the direct sun light, same for my students, most got Ronin Karate gi's one was silly enough to follow my lead, just so happens he always came to the four hour Saturday class that ran from 10A-2P Man it was HOT! Lots of water.

But I love them, It has been almost two years for my current one and no signs of wear at all only that the whole thing has gotten a little softer and a little of the black (just a little) is fading. Everyone who had gis even ronin with ties have had the ties ripped off.

One funny story, one of my students was wearing cloths under his ronin karate gi, and we kept hearing rips, turns out his cloths UNDER the gi, pants and shirt were ripped up! He had to throw them away, Ronin never gave way though LOL!

Great inexpensive quality Gis and great Service as well!

But the jiujitsu gi is HOT, teachers, have your guys buy them, then keep the heat down or off! Save money! :-)

Jouke
26th October 2003, 16:09
I used to have a ronin gi, but it ripped within a month. Now I have a matsuru gi, which is much lighter and it has never ripped. If you have a choice I should go for the Matsuru gi.

Pete Knox
26th October 2003, 18:47
Is the Matsuru a standard judo weave (i.e. rice grain) or is it smooth like the bujin?

Elf Tengu
27th October 2003, 10:35
We should be careful with these posts guys, or outsiders might begin to question our manliness. I won't quote any of you directly, but this thread is sometimes looking a bit like a commercial for fashionable clothing or washing powder!

Jouke
27th October 2003, 14:42
Originally posted by Pete Knox
Is the Matsuru a standard judo weave (i.e. rice grain) or is it smooth like the bujin?

The Matsuru gi is a smooth one (50% cotton 50% polyester), I think it`s much better then a 100% cotton gi.

Pete Knox
27th October 2003, 15:24
Excellent. Do you remember where you got it from?

Pete Knox
27th October 2003, 15:26
Originally posted by MakotoDojo
Just a note that gi stayed on me all summer for out side training in the direct sun light, same for my students, most got Ronin Karate gi's one was silly enough to follow my lead, just so happens he always came to the four hour Saturday class that ran from 10A-2P Man it was HOT! Lots of water.

But I love them, It has been almost two years for my current one and no signs of wear at all only that the whole thing has gotten a little softer and a little of the black (just a little) is fading. Everyone who had gis even ronin with ties have had the ties ripped off.

Do you know how many ounces the fabric was? I was hoping to purchase a heavier karate gi as opposed to a judogi to save weight, so that would be great to know.