PDA

View Full Version : What is fox jujutsu?

JudoJack
18th August 2000, 23:45
Greetings All!

I once trained in a Wado-Kai Karate dojo where there was a sempai who started off in martial arts through jujutsu. He now teaches with a partner in their own dojo. The jujutsu part of the instruction (taught, I think, in seperate classes from karate) was identified by an acquaintance (and a casual student at the dojo) as "Kitsune-Ryu" Jujutsu. What is this "fox-style" jujustsu? Does anyone have a lead on its history? I would appreciate anything you can tell me about it before I actually investigate the dojo.

Thanks!!!

Neil Yamamoto
19th August 2000, 01:40
This is also known as Mulder Ryu and the current master is Dana Sculley. Master Sculley took over the school when Master Mulder disappeared without a trace while investigating the disappearance of his sister.

Sorry, couldn't resist having a little fun.

Neil "I have nothing of value to contribute" Yamamoto

JudoJack
19th August 2000, 03:25
Originally posted by Neil Yamamoto
This is also known as Mulder Ryu and the current master is Dana Sculley. Master Sculley took over the school when Master Mulder disappeared without a trace while investigating the disappearance of his sister.

Sorry, couldn't resist having a little fun.

Neil "I have nothing of value to contribute" Yamamoto

Greetings Neil!

I am glad that you didn't resist ... I like having a few myself :laugh Thanks!

With even less to contribute, I bid you adieu.

JudoJack
25th August 2000, 01:52
Well, here is what I have been able to find out so far - in the interest of "concluding" the thread I suppose. Apparently Kitsune (Fox) Ryu Jujutsu is a style developed by a Mr. Steve Reynolds. It seems to be rooted in Daito Ryu Aiki Jutsu, hand-to-hand combat from the British SAS (Special Air Service), and Wally Jay's Small Circle Jujutsu. It is said that Mr. Reynolds has also studied Judo, Karate and Kung-Fu.

Bye now!

Tetsutaka
25th August 2000, 02:24
Originally posted by JudoJack
Apparently Kitsune (Fox) Ryu Jujutsu is a style developed by a Mr. Steve Reynolds. It seems to be rooted in Daito Ryu Aiki Jutsu, hand-to-hand combat from the British SAS (Special Air Service), and Wally Jay's Small Circle Jujutsu. It is said that Mr. Reynolds has also studied Judo, Karate and Kung-Fu.

So the translation to reality would go something like: He looked at books about Daito ryu, the SAS, and SCJJ, but actually studied Judo & Karate - and watched a lot of Kung Fu movies...

Just kidding - anyone care to take this one? ever hear of his recieving menjo?

Only half kidding,
Houston Haynes

JudoJack
25th August 2000, 02:48
Originally posted by Tetsutaka

Originally posted by JudoJack
Apparently Kitsune (Fox) Ryu Jujutsu is a style developed by a Mr. Steve Reynolds. It seems to be rooted in Daito Ryu Aiki Jutsu, hand-to-hand combat from the British SAS (Special Air Service), and Wally Jay's Small Circle Jujutsu. It is said that Mr. Reynolds has also studied Judo, Karate and Kung-Fu.

So the translation to reality would go something like: He looked at books about Daito ryu, the SAS, and SCJJ, but actually studied Judo & Karate - and watched a lot of Kung Fu movies...

Just kidding - anyone care to take this one? ever hear of his recieving menjo?

Only half kidding,
Houston Haynes

Hi Tetsutaka!

Frankly I couldn't say one way or the other. But I do appreciate your rascally humor. You have just reminded me that I did want to go check out that thread on "Modern Jujutsu". I am curious about the disrepute of synthesized jujutsu styles that crop up all around us. I like some traditions and yet I am not in principal against a person developing what they regard as desirable in practicing their own martial art. I'm open to hearing what said individuals think they have to offer over a less unmixed style of jujutsu.

Respectfully,

Neil Hawkins
25th August 2000, 05:25
I can't really add much, but I was under the impression that the British SAS used a system of combatives developed by James Shortt (of Beginning Jujutsu fame), he was a member of the International Combat Military Advisors Group (ICMAG) in the 70/80's and taught there. I could be wrong though, if anyone has more details I'd like to know.

Neil