PDA

View Full Version : pressure points??

Terry Ham
11th October 2002, 00:52
Do you feel pressure point attacks ( street defense not sport ) are effective for passing the guard or ground fighting in general?

meat
11th October 2002, 14:23
The leg pressure points are very effective for getting out of the guard if you know the right way to attack them.

meat
11th October 2002, 14:25
Whoops, my bad, forgot this was a thread meant to be answered by the authors of the book. Humblest apologies.

:saw:

Tim Cartmell
12th October 2002, 06:16
Terry,
The most common "pressure point" used when passing the guard in particular is elbow pressure inside the leg just above the knee. The pain can be intense and coupled with correct positioning can help to open the guard. In a general ground fight, once in a dominant position, it is often relatively easy to strike the opponent on any available target.

Meat,
Please feel free to contribute whenever you like.

BigJon
12th October 2002, 13:22
I trained in grappling for a few years. There is always someone who is immune to pressure points. Then there is always someone like me who will collapse screaming at the slightest pressure. We had a 19 yr old guy who just didn't feel anything when applied.

Jon Gillespie

meat
12th October 2002, 14:16
That pressure point that Tim mentioned has worked for me pretty much every single time I've used it. The only time it didn't work was on one of the senior guys at training who was so pumped up that he didn't care about the pain. Have you had any experience or heard of anything like this Tim?

Terry Ham
12th October 2002, 23:43
Thanks guys! And Mr Cartmell I had a chance to look through the book today, great job!!

Tim Cartmell
13th October 2002, 02:57
Peter,
Most people will open their legs if you press hard enough inside the knees, or they will at least stop attacking long enough to attempt to pull your elbows out. Ocassionally you'll run into someone who attempts to ride the pain out and keep the guard closed. Some people with very strong legs will also be able to squeeze so tightly it's difficult to get the correct angle to apply pressure. Nothing is foolproof I guess.

Thanks Terry.