PDA

View Full Version : Mori-Sensei

Onno
11th October 2002, 05:19
:( I have just heard the sad news that Mori-Sensei has passed away.

He will be sorely missed by the Shorinji Kempo world.:(

I believe he passed away on the morning of October 11th 2002

A very sad Onno Kok
Alberta Shibu
Calgary Canada

tony leith
11th October 2002, 12:11
I only had one opportunity to rain with Mori Sensei - when he travelled to the UK to teach a seminar weekend. It's the measure of the man that he came anyway in the aftermath of the Kobe earthquake (I think) because he had made a promise to Mizuno Sensei. His teachings were very profound - the kind of thing that can take years to internalise. I'm glad I had that opportunity, and I'm very sorry to hear of his death. It's some consolation that there are people around in the SK world who had the opportunity to partake of his wisdom a lot more extensively, so at least what he had to teach won't be lost..

Tony Leith

Anders Pettersson
13th October 2002, 01:16
Gassho.

The passing away of Mori-sensei was a great loss for Shorinjikempo.

I had the opportunity to learn from Mori-sensei at a couple of seminars and his juho-waza was truly special.

Mori-sensei was featured in the june issue of the Hiden magazine. (Se picture beelow.)

He presented his teory about breaking balance etc. in the Hiden magazine (I really would like to be able to read that article) and if I understood correctly he called it "sankaku gihou" ie. triangel technique.

http://www.unix-d.co.jp/md/img/morimori.jpg

Yoshi Karahashi in San Francisco have informed me about a Web page about Mori-sensei.
The address is www.moridoki.com (http://www.moridoki.com) The page is only in Japanese, but there is some pictures and a video that can be interesting even for those that do not read Japanese:
Direct link to the page with the video (http://www.unix-d.co.jp/md/waza/waza.htm)
Small version (http://www.unix-d.co.jp/md/waza/movie/J28-S.wmv) (1,8 Mb)
Big version (http://www.unix-d.co.jp/md/waza/movie/J28-L.wmv) (12 Mb)

/Anders

Eastwood
13th October 2002, 21:12
Anders,
Yes, Mori Sensei's death is a great loss for us.

I went to the website to try to pick up its "waza to riho/technique and principles" information (the one with a movie), but can't seem to get the file right. It only comes across as gobbledygook. Do you know what program it needs to run?

Also, Mori Sensei presented his theory in both the February and June issues of Hiden Magagize. Does anyone happen to have copies or know how to get them?

David Dunn
14th October 2002, 14:10
Anders Sensei,
thank you for the pictures. As I mentioned in the kamoku/kyohan thread, a translation of this article has been made by a kenshi in the UK. I will ask his permission to circulate it.

Mori Sensei visited England just after the Kobe earthquake. Mizuno Sensei was very proud to be host to him. I think that he was an example to all of us, not only in his techniques but also in his happy approach to life.

Gassho,
David

aran
23rd October 2002, 00:56
Originally posted by David Dunn
Anders Sensei,
thank you for the pictures. As I mentioned in the kamoku/kyohan thread, a translation of this article has been made by a kenshi in the UK. I will ask his permission to circulate it.

Hello - Aran here

David is referring to a translation that I did this summer. It doesn't cover everything written about Mori-sensei, but just the stuff in the June issue about "sankaku giho" - a way of thinking about balance in juho techniques.

Mizuno-sensei has given his permission for this translation to be put online. But I currently don't have a web site that can host a 1MB PDF file (it includes a number of pictures), so I've sent the whole thing to sensei George Hyde who runs the BSKF site. I hope he'll post here when the file is available for access.

Kesshu

Aran Lunzer

Anders Pettersson
23rd October 2002, 03:46
Originally posted by aran

Hello - Aran here

David is referring to a translation that I did this summer. It doesn't cover everything written about Mori-sensei, but just the stuff in the June issue about "sankaku giho" - a way of thinking about balance in juho techniques.

Mizuno-sensei has given his permission for this translation to be put online. But I currently don't have a web site that can host a 1MB PDF file (it includes a number of pictures), so I've sent the whole thing to sensei George Hyde who runs the BSKF site. I hope he'll post here when the file is available for access.

Kesshu

Aran Lunzer

Gassho.
Hi Aran.
I think a lot of us appreciate the work you have done and we look forward to see your translation on the web.

If you need another space, or if George is short of disk space on the BSKF site, I can host it if you want. If so e-mail me the file (a.pettersson@home.se) and I will put it on the web and put a link to it here as well.

/Anders

George Hyde
23rd October 2002, 18:21
Originally posted by Anders Pettersson
If you need another space, or if George is short of disk space on the BSKF site, I can host it if you want. If so e-mail me the file (a.pettersson@home.se) and I will put it on the web and put a link to it here as well.

Hi All,

You can get the translation here (http://)

It's in PDF format and should take no longer than 5 mins to download over a standard modem.

Anders - it would be a good idea to make it available from your site as well since the BSKF site will be moving home soon and will (despite our best efforts) likely be unavailable for a time.

Once again, kudos to Aran (the Prince of Darkness) Lunzer for his efforts in this regard - Mori Sensei's teachings deserve the widest possible audience.

Later

----------
Link is taken away for the moment.
There will be some checks on the accuracy of the translation and also make sure about copyright issue.
Hopefully we will have a link to the article in a day or two.
/Anders
----------

Taka Mitsuhashi
29th October 2002, 15:03
Sorry, keep all waiting for Mori Sensei's article.

Today, we found out that the publisher did not check our e-mail about copyright, until today!
We told them all Kenshis are waiting for it. so I hope they will give us a quick reply.

We also finished checking the translation, there were no problem with.
Thanks to Aran for the accurate translation.

If there anyone who can't wait anymore, send me a e-mail (taka@bskf.net)
Please write down "I want Mori Sensei's article!" for Subject.
I'll give you the PDF file, but make sure that your mailbox has more than 1MB of the permissible amount.

Steve Williams
29th October 2002, 19:11
Hi Taka

Glad to see you here.

I also am very sad to hear about the passing of Mori sensei.... I had the privilage of training under him on 2 occasions, once at a UK seminar, and once at his own dojo in Kobe..... an excellent experience which I had hoped to repeat, sadly now I cannot.

shugyosha
5th November 2002, 08:46
hello there,

M.hyde, the link in your post is incomplet could you put it fully?

also, is it bad to ask from what Mori sensei passed away?
i noticed that others hi ranked kenshi (in sweden, and another in japan i dont remember their name) had passed away quite young and sudently....

Taka Mitsuhashi
5th November 2002, 09:06
All problems with copyright was cleally sort out.
But we asked to make sure the PDF file only download from www.moridoki.com.

We now making the page. wait for a little or ask me by e-mail

Taka Mitsuhashi
5th November 2002, 14:20
We finished making english page (sorry only Top & ariticle page).
You can download Mori sensei's article from www.moridoki.com/_eng .
Please make sure you do not directly link to the PDF file.

dan_norris
5th November 2002, 22:18
Great work guys!:) The translation was done very well.

Gary Dolce
6th November 2002, 14:01
I get a "not found" message when I try to go to the web site. Is the link bad?

Steve Williams
6th November 2002, 20:29
Hi Gary

Try this Link (http://www.unix-d.co.jp/md/_eng/hiden/hiden.htm) should then just have to click the "PDF file" link on that page.

Good article.

Gary Dolce
6th November 2002, 22:49
Thanks, but I still can't get to this link either by clicking it or by typing in the URL. The URL changes to one that ends "..../css/default.css" which is not found. Anyone else having this problem?

Steve Williams
8th November 2002, 15:57
Gary...... you have mail

Taka Mitsuhashi
22nd November 2002, 04:15
moridoki.com updated.
Now you can watch a new movie about "FrontDown & BackDown."
Obviously Mori sensei speak Japanese, and movie subtitled in Japanese too.
We looking forword to put subtitles in English but we do not have much time to do it.
Sorry to English viewer but we want you to "read" from Mori sensei's performance.
Hiden article may help you to understand.

5thBrother
29th September 2006, 10:52
Gassho

Did Mori Sensei have training in / Inspiration from Aikido?

If so under who and for how long?

thanks you~

Xichen Lo

EDIT: my sig mustnt be working ..

David Dunn
29th September 2006, 11:02
No not as far as I know.

Forum rules - full name etc...

5thBrother
29th September 2006, 11:07
thanks you~

and in advance for any other.

was curious.

Taka Mitsuhashi
30th September 2006, 00:17
No I donot think so.

Mori sensei was Black belt of Judo before he starting shorinji kempo.
He was the first captain of Judo club in his high school.
He must have talent, otherwise he could not be a black belt in younger age especially those days.

I can understand why you ask this question, because the technique of Mori sensei looks very different from what we normally do and very similar to Aiki-style martial arts (Aikido and Daito-ryu).

But please think again about "What is Shorinji Kempo?" and ask yourself "Do we really know or understand everything about Shorinji Kempo?"
I think shorinji kempo may contain the technique of aiki, another word "Shorinji Kempo have a wide and deep technical range more than we think"

I think Mori sensei should have known the technique what we call "Aiki". but he might reached by himself, learned and studied from founder's technique.

Thinking back the my study under the Mori sensei, it was perfectly Shorinji Kempo training and different from any Aiki training.
He must have learned his technique from Shorinji Kempo and Founder, not from the Aiki-style martial arts. One day we can do so.