PDA

View Full Version : Ashihara karate

seiho_kenshi
12th October 2002, 21:32
Greetings to all,

Has anybody heard of Ashihara Karate and Kancho Ashihara?

What makes it different from other full contact karate styles such as Kyokushin?

Are there any Ashihara stylists in K-1 or similar events?

Is there any Ashihara dojo in the LA area? Any info on the instructor?

Thank you for your help,
Leo Modena

Goju Man
13th October 2002, 01:26
Leo, welcome to E-Budo. Ashihara karate is an off shoot of Kyokushin karate. They have more natural fighting kata than traditional kata. There is another thread about kyokushin and kata that mentions some info on Ashihara.

BigJon
13th October 2002, 01:28
This may be a little of the subject...but is there a relationship between Enshin Karate and Ashihara? Jon Gillespie

Goju Man
13th October 2002, 01:30
Yes, I beleive there is. http://www.ashihara.com/home.htm

Bustillo, A.
13th October 2002, 11:14
Originally posted by Jon G.
This may be a little of the subject...but is there a relationship between Enshin Karate and Ashihara? Jon Gillespie

Jon G.,

Yes.
Joko Ninomiya is the founder of Enshin Karate. Ninomiya was a student of H. Ashihara.

BigJon
13th October 2002, 14:00
Thank you Antonio. I am from the Denver area, and have had ringside tickets for the Sabaki challenge since '89. I just didn't know where Enshin came from. Ashihara must have produced some pretty incredible fighters in it's time. I was in the front row at the challenge when Pat Smith started attacking the judges and other competitors. I think that Shihan Ninomiya "put him down" that year, while wearing an Italian suit! Jon Gillespie

Bustillo, A.
13th October 2002, 14:41
Originally posted by Jon G.
Thank you Antonio. I am from the Denver area, and have had ringside tickets for the Sabaki challenge since '89. I just didn't know where Enshin came from. Ashihara must have produced some pretty incredible fighters in it's time. I was in the front row at the challenge when Pat Smith started attacking the judges and other competitors. I think that Shihan Ninomiya "put him down" that year, while wearing an Italian suit! Jon Gillespie

Jon G,

Your welcome, no problem.

I heard about the Patrick Smith incident --'93 or '94--. It's hard to forget that one.
Peyton Quinn mentions it in one of his books.

Goju Man
13th October 2002, 15:25
Ninomiya can definitley fight. Antonio, can you imagine what these guys could do IF they REALLY understood kata?:D

BigJon
13th October 2002, 17:07
A side note, I also saw Pat Smith knock a guy out in two seconds in '89, it's too bad he couldn't hold his temper. He was a promising fighter. Shihan Ninomiya is VERY good, and he proved it at the "brawl"
Jon Gillespie.