PDA

View Full Version : Kyokushinkai or Kickboxing

conach
15th October 2002, 00:43
I need some advice on this matter. After a long period, I decided to go back to train Kyokushinkai, but trouble began when a friend of mine invited me to see where he trains Kickboxing...

Which one is better to train??

Sochin
15th October 2002, 00:48
There is no better - just which one you like better and will stick with.

Try out both, think awhile, go for it!

And please sign with your whole name as per the rules (bottom of evey page).

:)

conach
15th October 2002, 00:53
Roger that, Soshin...

Regards,

Hivan Herrera
Caracas - Venezuela

Goju Man
15th October 2002, 02:41
Ted, good advice. ;)

tamashi
15th October 2002, 13:04
Hivan Herrera:

OSU! I agree 100 % with the advice you have received.
Of course I would lean toward Kyokushin, but that is just me
:-)

Try them both, see how you like the atmosphere, instructor,
training partners etc. Stick with whichever one will help
you reach your personal goals.

I do kyokushin on Monday and Wednesday and weekends,
when time permits i train with Kickboxing friends on
Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturdays.

Its all good
:-)

Originally posted by conach
I need some advice on this matter. After a long period, I decided to go back to train Kyokushinkai, but trouble began when a friend of mine invited me to see where he trains Kickboxing...

Which one is better to train??

I dont know that either will be better or worse to train in,
and there will be some similarities in training regimines.
there will also be differences as well obviously.
good luck,
Paul

TommyK
15th October 2002, 23:01
Greetings,

KickBoxing is fine, trains you for great total body workout and other cool stuff, but I gotta go with Mas Oyama's baby. I have seen both and sparred against both, I think Kyokushin is the way to go. Currently, there is a flurry of activity in some Kyokushin dojo's that really, really emphasizes knees, elbows and suido strikes. I think this is the way of the future.

Good luck,
Regards,
TommyK
Tom Militello

Goju Man
16th October 2002, 00:06
I gotta tell you, when in doubt, do 'em both. I've seen many Kyokushin guys go into kickboxing very well. Either way, you can't go wrong.;)

hector gomez
17th October 2002, 19:21
kyokushin & kickboxing

The connection between kickboxing and kyokushin has always been very strong especialy in japan,if I am not mistaken one of the best kickboxers ever in japan was fujiwara a former kyokushin stylist.

Strong kyokushin fighters have always made up a high percentage of what was known thruought the 60s and 70s as japaneese kickboxing.

Due to the fact that the kyokushin style of fighting encourages nonstop "continous" contact fighting making the transition for most kyokushin fighters has never been such a big deal for them,even today kickboxing events like the K1 are saturated with kyokushin stylist
of course it helps that Ishi the brainchild of K1 has his roots in the kyokushin system.

In holland,the most respected country in europe for kickboxing has strong ties with kyokushin,gyms such as VOS,chakuriki,mejiros I believe all have strong ties to kyokushin.

I would train in both if I could,"IT'S ALL GOOD".

Hector Gomez