PDA

View Full Version : We Foulmouthed Ninjers... - Caution Profanity -

Togakure1161
16th October 2002, 07:52
It seems like all of us Ninjas are foulmouthed like the dickens. I find it hard to determine whether or not this is bad. I personally don't see any harm in it, as long as the profane language is exchanged exclusively between friends and other Budokas. Heck, i dunno...any opinions?

Oni
16th October 2002, 07:57
Originally posted by Togakure1161
It seems like all of us Ninjas are foulmouthed like the dickens. I find it hard to determine whether or not this is bad. I personally don't see any harm in it, as long as the profane language is exchanged exclusively between friends and other Budokas. Heck, i dunno...any opinions?

Heh...like many other things I would say it is a case of situational awareness. If you are foul mouthed all the time then I think you have a problem...if you are 'foul' mouthed with friends or in situations where it is acceptable so be it. The next step is to consider exactly what is 'foul' and why exactly it is considered 'foul' ;)

Truthfully I think foul mouthed covers a large percentage of the population period and in no way really is personified by 'ninja folk'....

Togakure1161
16th October 2002, 08:12
I was basically referring to comments i have heard in the past from instructors who make it a point to not be foulmouthed, thinking that they will be dishonorable if they are foulmouthed.

Moko
16th October 2002, 18:48
If I wanted to insult someone I really, really don't need to go to potty words. None of us do.

I agree that there is a situational awareness that must be employed. "Pass the fucking butter." would be wrong in most households during Thanksgiving dinner.

The most confusing part for me is when people write cutesie little things like fu**ing, or Freaking or A$$hole. These people have, as near as I can tell, issues with honesty. If you're going to tell someone they are a fucking asshole, (In your opinion) then reach down inside your pants grab what's there and type away. *I* will value the honesty of that statement much more than someone calling someone else a fornincating rectum. Same thing. Same intent. Oh and putting a smiley face behind it is the worst.

I don't think it's wrong to train with a vocalized component in the senior level classes.

As for why ninjers are like this? Passion? Is that the right answer? It works for me.

Oni
16th October 2002, 18:57
Originally posted by Moko

The most confusing part for me is when people write cutesie little things like fu**ing, or Freaking or A$$hole. These people have, as near as I can tell, issues with honesty. If you're going to tell someone they are a fucking asshole, (In your opinion) then reach down inside your pants grab what's there and type away.

Heh...I think people write the kinds of things above when they are trying to follow the forum rules ;) Not going to edit your post this time however as this is the topic of discussion. However don't let that be an ok to go hogwild. Also the software itself does some editing so it may be the only way the poster can get their meaning across. I had to write f**k below otherwise it would have been just ****.

I don't think it's wrong to train with a vocalized component in the senior level classes.

I definitely agree with that...although when training this way I think it is best to do this as 'closed door sessions' as people that have not been around a while may not understand what is happening if they walk in. It really changes the feeling of things if your partner grabs you, yells that he is going to "rip your f**king head off!" as he proceeds to attempt to do so!

On thing to add to this basic concept is that it is my opinion if you take the role of 'teacher' then you must be more responsible for how your portray yourself. Language can play a very important role in every self defense situation. If your response to someone getting in your face is to say, "f**k you"...you are going to get a far different result than if you used other language. To repeat...situational relationships. What results do you want? This will determine the language you use. If your instructor does not demonstrate this...or demonstrates constant use of 'foul' language...this is the lesson that is getting passed.

If we are speaking of 'ninjas' I think we should remember that part of the goal is to adapt to whatever situation may come our way. If this involves using 'foul' language so be it...if it involves not doing so we should have the self control and intelligence NOT to.

R Erman
16th October 2002, 19:46
Originally posted by Oni

On thing to add to this basic concept is that it is my opinion if you take the role of 'teacher' then you must be more responsible for how your portray yourself. Language can play a very important role in every self defense situation. If your response to someone getting in your face is to say, "f**k you"...you are going to get a far different result than if you used other language. To repeat...situational relationships. What results do you want? This will determine the language you use. If your instructor does not demonstrate this...or demonstrates constant use of 'foul' language...this is the lesson that is getting passed.

Thank you

mrmonkey
20th October 2002, 10:41
fornicating rectum

??????

Is that what "Pfuetzenreuter" means?

---wow!!!!
----what terrible potty mouth.

Doraggure-su
20th October 2002, 20:00
Hey, I'm a ninja and I don't swear, smoke, or drink alcohol.

Now you need to...er...uh

DAMMIT! I left my cigarettes at the bar!

tenchijin2
20th October 2002, 22:37
Hmmm... I tend to be non-foul when I speak. I find foul language to be vague, impolite, and meaningless.

But I have noticed more foulness in the 'reality' based arts, and the 'nhb' style arts than in the traditional, or classical arts.

Moko
28th October 2002, 18:50
Not all of the Ninjas I have trained with are potty mouth types. Most of my teachers are able to convey the message without impolite invectives. Some people choose not to swear.

I guess it's different teaching styles and backgrounds. Majority of my life I have operated in environments where the ability to swear was part of the drill. That said I would like to swear the way Arabs apparently swear. They take it to a level akin to poetry. Not sure if that's something to aspire to but swearing at asomeone and still being funny would be.

Good discussion. :D :D :D