PDA

View Full Version : Wonderin past on Sensei

hiddindragon08
17th October 2002, 22:03
:cool:
Hello guys, My name is Ryan Smith and I am currently a student under the instruction of Sensei Kevin Johannes. He's no longer part of the Okinawan Koei-Kan federation but he was trained under the style of Koei-Kan. He teaches us his own rendition of Koei-Kan and someday I will do the same and incorporate various techniques and styles such as Five Fist Tae Kwon Do into it as well. I just want to validate his honor and see if anyone can tell me a little about him. Thanks.
-Ryan Smith

18th October 2002, 01:53
Originally posted by hiddindragon08
:cool:
Hello guys, My name is Ryan Smith and I am currently a student under the instruction of Sensei Kevin Johannes. He's no longer part of the Okinawan Koei-Kan federation but he was trained under the style of Koei-Kan. He teaches us his own rendition of Koei-Kan and someday I will do the same and incorporate various techniques and styles such as Five Fist Tae Kwon Do into it as well. I just want to validate his honor and see if anyone can tell me a little about him. Thanks.
-Ryan Smith

First, I think Koei Kan is from Japan not Okinawa.....according to most website I have seen. At least the founder Onishi was from Japan.
Second, What is "Five Fist Tae Kwan Do"? I have never heard of it.
Third, Why would you need to add it to what seems to be an already viable art?

Onishi History:

Evolution & Migration of Koei-kan from Japan
History Of Koei-Kan Karate Do Gaku: An Ancient Traditional Martial Art

Master Onishi was born on the island of Shikoku in the province of Ehime-ken. His academic training was achieved at the Matsuyama College in Shikoku and the University of Keio in Tokyo. Many believe that because of his noble ancestry, he was destined for a life in the martial arts. In the days of kancho, Onishi's training, karate was not the store front, bright lights dojo's with trophies and impressive looking documents of achievements. Rather, it was handed down from father to son, generation to generation, but always remained in the family. It is said that Onishi's family crest bears the 5-7-5 leaf cluster of the Imperial family of Japan. Master Onishi's ancestors were considered by his peers to be the king of the Samurai with ties to Sakamoto.

Master Kanken Toyama was Eizo Onishi's first and only Sensei for approximately ten years. Upon Onishi's achievement of 6th dan, and his reaching superior ability, he was given a letter of recommendation by master Toyama to seek further study and gain necessary knowledge with master Juhatsu Kiyoda. Master Kiyoda lived on Japan's south most area of Kyushu island in the city of Beppa - a good two days travel from Onishi's home. Onishi Sensei, an expert himself, made the trip monthly, with his letter of recommendation, only to be refused audience time and time again. The best Onishi could obtain was 15 minutes of time from Kiyoda's senior student who told Onishi that perhaps, just perhaps, master Juhatsu Kiyoda would acknowledge his existence. So, that is exactly what Eizo Onishi did, month after month for one year...until he was accepted.

Under Master Toyama, Onishi Sensei was taught the Shuri-te, and under master Kiyoda he learned the Naha-te. After ten years of training both Sensei's at last confided to Eizo Onishi that his studies with them were completed. However, they urged him not to stop, nor become complacent where there was much more to be done. They told him to go out and learn other systems, research, build, develop and perfect his karate.

The late Master Kanken Toyama, Eizo Onishi's mentor impressed upon his student that the fundamental translation of the Japanese words happiness (ko), prosperity (ei), and hall or house (kan) expressed the true nature and purpose of his karate.

hiddindragon08
18th October 2002, 12:48
Thanks for the info. I thought that Koei-Kan was okinawan because he study in okinawa for a little while with his sensei. Perhaps I just misunderstood the idea.
Five Fist TKD is traditional TKD with a little bit of chinese hand technique for blocking. My old sensei doesn't teach it officially, (he does teach tkd officially) he was learning a little bit of some shaolin techniques on the side while teaching us. When he mentioned that he was partaking in such a style i asked him if he could demonstrate and show me a little various technique and he did. He worked w/ me a little on them every week until my departure from his school. I couldn't afford the 80$ month so I had to leave before attempting my next belt. I call it Five Fist TKD because of the few extra techniques that he incorporated into my lessons. :)

koeikannidan
24th August 2005, 07:25
I started training with you sensei back in 1978 at the original drayton plains michigan dojo whitch was run by Jack Sabat and Inasio Anzures. That was an amazing hard core training dojo. Your sensei was alwasys a very honoralbe man as far as I was concerened. your sensei was awarded his nidan the same day that I was given my sh0dan. :)

koeikannidan
30th August 2005, 07:43
If you want any more information on your sensei, please dont hesitate to email me. I have many pictures of the two of us in the old drayton plains dojo. and some of us with sensei sabat out in santa barbara as well. Kevin was always very cool to me. :) :)