PDA

View Full Version : Miner's Elbow

DJM
21st August 2000, 00:59
Hi. Just a request for further information about the above condition from any Doctors amongst us. I can't remember the medical name for it - Burstitis or something similar sounding. It's where your joint suffers from some bleeding, presumably due to an impact, which presses against tendons..
I picked this up about a week and a half ago, and have been resting it as much as possible. Also on Ibuprofen to reduce inflamation.
My primary interests are (i)How much can I safely do with it (thinking about ukemi in Aikido..)and how soon?, (ii)anything I should be aware of with this? and (iii) What are the usual causes? The reason I ask about (iii) is that I didn't feel anything when I did whatever, only the next morning when I couldn't bend it..

Many thanks in advance,
David

Joseph Svinth
21st August 2000, 01:35
I am not a doctor, but had bursitis of the hip about 15 years ago. Okay, it wasn't nearly as exciting as sciatica, but it was still most unpleasant. The treatment? Aspirin/ibuprofen/etc. (really, your preference, no matter what doctors or others on the pharmaceutical companies' payroll might tell you) plus RICE, meaning Rest, Ice (first 72 hours, heat after that), Compression, Elevation...

Whirlpool/jacuzzi treatment is considered good, but no matter what you do expect 3-8 weeks for recovery. If you push yourself (say by doing rolls on that elbow), then of course recovery will only take that much longer.

Also expect to wear elastic bandages or rubber braces on the injured joint during training for the foreseeable future.

Some websites:

http://www.mayohealth.org/mayo/9506/htm/bursitis.htm

To prevent the return of bursitis, the above website suggests:

"Strengthen your muscles--Strong muscles help protect your joint. After the pain and inflammation are gone, start exercising the affected joint. Ask your doctor or a physical therapist for advice about starting a safe exercise program." (See? Weight training isn't so awful, just don't make it the sole focus of your life if your goal is improved MA rather than body beautiful.)

"Take more breaks--Alternate repetitive tasks with rest or other activities." (Not the macho post-WWII Japanese way, but hey, you can train for a month or you can train for a lifetime, it's your choice.)

"Cushion your joints--Don't lean on your elbows, kneel or sit on hard surfaces for long periods. Use cushioned chairs or foam kneeling pads whenever possible." (Zabuton and tatami, not hardwood floors? Ooh.)

The keyword search "bursitis elbow" turns up these additional links of possible interest:

http://www.medicinenet.com/Script/Main/Forum.asp?li=MNI&d=286&cu=16583&w=0&ArticleKey=303

http://www.thriveonline.com/health/Library/sports/sport193.html

http://gocarolinas.adam.com/ency/article/000419.htm

The big word for this is "olecranon bursitis."

Now, for actual miner's elbow, see http://www.history.ohio-state.edu/projects/coal/WorkOfCoalMiner/WorkOfCoalMiner.htm

Seems that back in the 1880s, the kids weren't as skilled as they had been 15 years earlier. Since "they" say the same thing about wrestling, boxing, and everything else, I'd guess the kids' lack of skill today compared to the old days is more due to the middle-aged guys being interviewed trying to put kids in their place than quantifiable fact. Be that as it may, it was a rough job, no doubt about it -- 40-50 swings of the pick per minute for 10-12 hours per day, with cave-in and fire and suffocation daily risks, and black lung a sure thing at the end.

MarkF
21st August 2000, 18:06
Hi David,
You also mentioned bleeding, and the likelyhood of an impact injury. In a week and a half has it improved? If not, stop all NSAIDs (aspirin, ibuprofen, alleve. They are blood thinners-Tylenol is OK) and get a picture taken. It probably is only bruising, and it should be much improved my now. Also, bursitis is an overuse injury which over-extends the joints. Impact with bleeding may be nothing, but if there is little or no improvement, it wouldn't be wrong to have an x-ray.

Otherwise, all the advice for bursitis Joe gave you are right on the mark including the cynical remark about the drug companies. God only knows how much "bleeding" they cause.

Here's to the "blood sucking" pharmaceutical companies.:D

Mark
BTW: I'm a pharmacy doctor if it will help:)

DJM
21st August 2000, 19:45
Originally posted by MarkF
Hi David,
You also mentioned bleeding, and the likelyhood of an impact injury. In a week and a half has it improved? If not, stop all NSAIDs (aspirin, ibuprofen, alleve. They are blood thinners-Tylenol is OK) and get a picture taken. It probably is only bruising, and it should be much improved my now. Also, bursitis is an overuse injury which over-extends the joints. Impact with bleeding may be nothing, but if there is little or no improvement, it wouldn't be wrong to have an x-ray.

Otherwise, all the advice for bursitis Joe gave you are right on the mark including the cynical remark about the drug companies. God only knows how much "bleeding" they cause.

Here's to the "blood sucking" pharmaceutical companies.:D

Mark
BTW: I'm a pharmacy doctor if it will help:)
Mark,
Thanks for the advice. I actually visited A&E when it happened, and they x-rayed, not finding any fracture or anything. I had a thick bandage for a couple days with some foul tarry substance on it - Icthy-something - in order to stop any clotting. As for the Ibuprofen, I got a huge bottle earlier this year when I pulled some of my intercostal muscles (flu-related coughing) so it hasn't cost anything..
The swelling has actually gotten a little worse over the last couple days, so I'm booked in with my GP tomorrow..
That said there's no pain when bending my arm, only when banging my elbow, or forgetting about it and leaning on it..!
I have visions of large needles to either drain the bursa, or inject cortisone. Either way I don't expect to have much use of my arm for a while..
I'll post a quick note tomorrow when I know what's happening...
Thanks again,
David

MarkF
22nd August 2000, 22:22
That sounds like a drawing salve so it probably was bleeding which may only mean it is bruising. I mentioned not taking aspirin, etc, because it can slow clotting, but you're doing the right thing.

Get better soon. It only smells bad for a while:D

DJM
22nd August 2000, 23:08
:D
I did get some dirty looks from the people at work..
Bandage has been off for a while now, thank goodness! Had my chat with the GP this afternoon, and found out it will take a bit longer than I expected for it to be right (Joe's estimate of 3-8 weeks may even be on the low side!). I'm off Ibuprofen by mouth now, and on some ibuprofen gel to be rubbed into my elbow about every 2 hours or so..
Didn't have too much trouble in Aikido tonight, but I focussed on left handed techniques and ukemi.. I'll give it another week or two before I start a few easy rolls on my right I think..
On the plus side it's also feeling a lot better with me being very careful of leaning on it at work, which suggests that might have been a big part of what caused it...
Thanks again for all the advice and support Mark and Joe,
David