PDA

View Full Version : Training with Kondo Katsuyuki Sensei / Daito-ryu Shinbukan

Kendoguy9
24th September 2000, 18:24
I know this would probably be better posted in the seminar board, but I don't know how many of you will see it there so I thought I'd post it here.

Daito-Ryu Aikijujutsu Seminar
Katsuyuki Kondo, Sensei
November 11th and 12th, 2000
On November 11th and 12th, Aikido Martial Arts Institute, in cooperation with Stanley Pranin and Aikido Journal, will host the third North American Daito-Ryu Aiki-Jujutsu seminar featuring Katsuyuki Kondo, Sensei. By popular request, registration will be accepted at the door.

Due to unforseen circumstances, the venue for the seminar has changed. We apologize for any inconvenience. The two-day seminar will take place at:

Perry Hall High School
4601 Ebenezer Road
Perry Hall, Maryland

Seminar Schedule
Saturday and Sunday morning sessions - 10 AM to Noon

Saturday and Sunday afternoon sessions - 2 PM to 4 PM

Hotels
We have reserved a block of rooms at a special convention rate at the following hotel:

Hampton Inn
8225 Town Center Drive, Baltimore MD 21236
For reservation call: 1-800-HAMPTON

Directions

Registration
The cost for the entire weekend of training with Katsuyuki Kondo, Sensei will be $200.00. Please note that the registration covers both days for all morning and afternoon sessions. There will be no split sessions available.

Due to the anticipated demand for this seminar, and the fact that we expect to sell out early, we recommend participants register as soon as possible. You may register for the seminar by calling Aikido Martial Arts Institute at 410-529-5222. Please make cashiers' check, certified checks or money orders made payable to Aikido Martial Arts Institute. Personal checks cannot be accepted. Our e-mail address is aikido@charm.net. Participants have the right to cancel reservations and refunds issued within 3 business days after the receipt of payment. No refunds will be made after the third business day after the receipt of payment. No spectators, photos or videos will be permitted.

Due to circumstance beyond our control Aikido Martial Arts Institute has temporarily suspended accepting Visa and Master Card credit cards for those wishing to registration for the Daito-Ryu Seminar. We apologies for any inconvenience. Those wishing to register may send a certified check or money order, made payable to our Seminar Coordinator - Ms. Pat Collins. If there are any questions please feel free to call John Stump at 410-529-5222 or 410-893-4231.

Biography of Katsuyuki Kondo, Sensei
Born in Tokyo in 1945, Katsuyuki Kondo, Sensei first learned Daito-ryu while still a child from Tsunejiro Hosono of the Shineikan dojo. He began studying under Tokimune Takeda Soke in 1961 and under Kotaro Yoshida in Hitachi in 1963. He became a direct student of Tokimune Takeda in March 1966, and was appointed soke kyoju dairi in November 1974 and soke dairi as well as menkyo kaiden in May 1988. At the national branch managers' meeting in September 1994 he was made headquarters' chief and executive division chief for Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu. He is also a researcher of Tesshu Yamoaka. (Aikido Journal, Vol. 24 No. 2 1997, p. 23. © Copyright 1997 Aiki News.)

Thank you,

Roger Lake
11th October 2000, 05:21
I was wondering if anyone wanted to talk about attending the Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu seminar given by Kondo sensei this year. It seemed to me that the previous two seminars had a noticeable absence of "big wigs" of this country's Aiki community. I attended the first two seminars and they were absolutely incredible. We finally have the chance to experience authentic Daito-ryu from the mainline tradition, and there doesn't seem to be a large amount of enthusiasm about it. As little as five years ago, this type of training was not available in this country.
Sincerely,
Roger Lake

Kendoguy9
11th October 2000, 05:44
I am a member of the study group Kondo sensei set up and I will of course be there. It seems that Daito-ryu here in the states is very political. It also seems that a few people from various organizations (some not even Daito-ryu) claimed that Kondo sensei has no aiki, even though they have only been traing a few years or a decade (a bit less then his 40 years in the art). They of course did not realize that Kondo sensei does not give away/teach techniques and principles as easily as some other teachers do. The previous seminars were to be a true introduction to Daito-ryu, starting from the ground up. And regardless of rank in another branch or system I don't think Kondo is going to teach higher level techniques until he feels we are ready. To be fair they also have their own organizations and affiliations that they are, i'm sure, very happy with.

Have you registered yet with Goss sensei? if not here is the site:
http://www.charm.net/%7Eaikido/daitoryu.shtml

hope to see you this Nov.

Roger Lake
11th October 2000, 06:00
Yes I have registered. I wouldn't miss it for the world. Ridiculous is the only way to describe the political situation. People can buy into the anti Kondo rhetoric all they want. As far as I am concerned, Kondo sensei's seminars are the only ones I will attend as far as the aiki arts are concerned. I have seen the techniques of some of these other groups(Seishinkai,Saigo-ha,Bokuyokan,etc.), and all I can say is "whatever,man". See you there. I'm sure it will be even better than the first two. I don't care if we do Ikkajo series forever, I'm just glad to be a part of it.
Roger

Nathan Scott
12th October 2000, 00:06
[Post deleted by user]

Roger Lake
12th October 2000, 01:48
Mr. Scott,
I'm sorry to hear that you won't be able to attend this year's seminar. Your remarks are right on the money about Kondo sensei, and especially about Aikido practitioners exploring the technical roots of their art. I'm sure that the Ikkajo training will be excellent.
Roger Lake

Roger Lake
12th October 2000, 01:50
Ikkajo training manual, that is(sorry folks).

J. Ribot
12th October 2000, 03:14
Nice one Roger,

I sicerely hope that your thread has rattled a few cages, especially those belongiing to those self-proclaimed aiki gods we constantly hear about. As you know I'm looking foward to being there and training with my old friends again.

I ,like you was shocked to hear about the lack of attendence and intrest in such a valuable semminar. I guess thats what happens when egos and self rightousness cloud the mind and interfere with learning and enlightenment. Of course, there are those who have legitimate reasons for not attending,( your spirits will be felt. )

See you on the tatami Roger.

Regards,

Juan

Dan Harden
12th October 2000, 04:12
I believe you will find Kondo Sensei's candor delightfully refreshing. He is willing to answer many direct, even difficult, questions with openness and honesty. If you like his movement, train with him. Don’t worry about comparisons or what the other groups are doing.
The general lack of interest isn't really that surprising to me.
1. Someone mentioned Aikido folk. Aikido folk have a wealth of their own sensei they would like to train with. Their time and funds (like all of ours) is limited. So they choose to spend it in their own arts.
2. They may be entirely happy with their Aikido. Why should they WANT to train in Daito Ryu?(yes we all have opinions on this, but it is their opinion that counts isn't it?)

Others mentioned the Daito ryu groups who exist in the U.S. and why they are not there.

There are few legitimate groups and one or two shadow groups out there. The legitimate ones have their own Sensei and their own sense of what Aiki is.
SO………………
3. Why would they need or want to go elsewhere? They are happy where they are

You should realize that of the few legitimate groups of Daito ryu and one other group of legitimate Aiki-jujutsu; they do not agree as to what constitutes Aiki in the first place. One group may think another Aikijujutsu group is "lacking", is overly technical in minutia, and essentially clueless. That same group may think the OTHER group is clueless. Going so far as to say they do not understand Aiki and really only doing jujutsu!
Still another, may say that the execution of technique that one school does is more in line with the movements of Aikido then with those of Jujutsu. And they may all be Legit!
There are different ways to execute Aiki. With different goals in mind. "One" may not fit into "the others" version of what "IT" is. Therefore, when they see an exponent move or execute technique they are "LOOKING" for telltale signs of what they consider Aiki to be, in accordance with their training experiences...........
When they don't see IT.
or feel IT.
They say that guy or that school doesn't have IT.
Guess what? The other group says the same thing.
BUT! to the public, (meaning, I guess, other Martial artists) they are effective, use minimal motion and MOVE the opponent into locks, chokes, freezing up or dropping.
Completely different techniques.
Effective results.
Go figure!

4. There are also people who have trained with Kondo and trained with other arts. They have made their choice of whom to train with.
5. Still others, are not allowed to train elsewhere while in one group.

Someone made comments about Aiki-gods.
There aren’t any. There are VERY few who are simply amazing. A few more who are good, the rest of us are struggling along.
Go and train.Decide for yourself. Once you have decided, very little will change your mind anyway. When you see people dropping, locking, freezing, being redirected,, etc. while you are relaxed and flowing, you will probably be happy with where you are. When the "other guys" don't move like you do? You will probably consider THEM clueless too.:)
In any event. It explains why people in legit Aiki-jujutsu arts are uninterested in what Kondo has to offer. They are happy where they are! Others, are simply not interested......period. It has nothing to do with elitism. Or the inverse; that Kondo somehow has superior technique that will challenge them. It is, I believe, far more pedestrian than that. They are simply content in the arts their already in, Aiki related or not!

Dan

[Edited by Dan Harden on 10-12-2000 at 07:47 AM]

Carlos Estrella
12th October 2000, 07:05
I can understand the hesitation of many who SHOULD go to this seminar but won't (or can't). Many legitimate Daito Ryu organizations have members who KNOW they could possibly offend the leaders of those organizations if they went. Also, people in my position (along with Nathan Scott and many others) have business or personal obligations that prevent attending.

I KNOW that if I could be there, I would (and if anyone wants to donate a plane ticket, I do GREAT computer work and web design :-) )

For those who DO go, training with Kondo Sensei, like training with the leaders of ALL the legitimate Daito Ryu schools and associations, is a special privilege that if possible for you, should be taken advantage of. If you can go - GO!!!

Just my humble opinion and comment -

Sayonara!

Carlos

Nathan Scott
12th October 2000, 17:53
[Post deleted by user]

Roger Lake
13th October 2000, 04:26
Hey Juan,
Good to hear from you boychik. How is my fellow tadpole?
Probably still tanned and chasing thongs as far south as you live. I look forward to tossing you around like the girlie man that you are. For those that wish to attend the Kondo seminar, but cannot, I sympathize and understand, I hope that there will be many more future seminars.
Thank you for your response,Mr.Harden, I remember you from the first seminar, will you be attending this year?
Yes there are Aiki gods!! I have been to many seminars, seen many different things. Sensei dressed in saintly white uniforms, obi outside the hakama, trying to "wax on,wax off" punches to their face, very short instructors throwing the largest uke they can find to satisfy their Napoleonic complexes. Dubious claims about their backgrounds, and so much "oss"ing, you'd think it was a Japanese dialect.
Believe it or not, I really don't worry about what other groups are doing, but when you have people north of the border with hundred page websites, claiming to be the only true Daito-ryu group,it starts to get a little frustrating.
But, that is just my humble opinion. Whoever is attending, see you there.
Roger Lake

Richard A Tolson
13th October 2000, 05:37
Roger,
I would love to attend and had thought long and hard about it. It sounds like an excellent opportunity and a good chance to compare styles. Besides, I haven't gotten my butt properly kicked in a while. I kind of miss it.
Unfortunately, I work for a living! :) Usually 58 hrs/week, so time is of a premium.
Good luck on your event!

[Edited by Richard A Tolson on 10-12-2000 at 11:40 PM]

Rob
13th October 2000, 09:05
Kinda wondering off the topic slightly.

But if you're having trouble filling spaces over there in the U.S. of A - move the seminar to the UK.

A quick straw poll amongst just the 20 or so martial artists I know here had a 100% attendence. I'd guess we could get a 100 or so - If that's how big you want the seminar !

Just a thought ?

Neil Yamamoto
13th October 2000, 18:31
Since Nathan referred to me as king of seminars in another thread for some reason, I thought I would toss in my 2 yen.

As much as I would like to attend, I have the choice of making a living like Richard, or taking a day to travel there, 2 days for the seminar, and another day for travel or maybe a redeye back to Seattle. Add in the cost of airfare, hotel, rental car and meals to the cost of the seminar, well, I can't drop that much time and money.

But if I get rich in this weekends lotto, $26 million, I'll see you guys on the mats!

Justin Campbell
14th October 2000, 01:05
I would auction off my body parts/organs to attend, BUT, my wife and I are expecting our first child in a week or so... and I think my marriage and new son should come first. I don't mind sacrificing my body for the best training... but I just CAN'T sacrifice my family! Wish I were going to be there. I will be at the next! Train hard.

Wish I were going,
Justin

Roger Lake
14th October 2000, 05:50
Hello Justin,
Congratulations on your first born. Mr. Garrido says hello. I know you would attend if you could. Believe it or not, I work for a living too(lots of hungry people). I know there are a lot of guys who would go if they could. The guys I am referring to know who they are. Anyway, there will probably be more seminars in the future.
R. Lake

16th October 2000, 15:00
Hi Guys.

I agree with Dan Hardens assessment to some degree but don't personally feel the way I guess he feels most people do. Although I am a dedicated student of Yanagi ryu, I still visit and train with as many different aiki practitioners as possible. This past weekend I visited with Chuck Clark of the Jyushinkai. What a great guy and...hey... he knows his stuff and knows how to teach it. (He tells a good story or two... nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

It's not Yanagi ryu but I didn't go there to see Don Angier, I went there to see Chuck Clark. Thats the whole point. I really liked what he was doing and how he taught it. He has excellent knowledge of body dynamics and physics.

Was he doing aiki some smart@#$%@# will ask? Absolutely! ( depending whatever that is in your mind)

But the important thing is that I learned! I always learn things when I visit a new instructor or attend a seminar.

So. Go see Kondo. Watch, learn and open your mind to the possibilities that everyone has valuable knowledge to share....especially people the likes of Katsuyuki Kondo and.... now I'm happy to add, Chuck Clark.

Toby Threadgill

[Edited by Toby Threadgill on 10-16-2000 at 09:06 AM]

Dan Harden
16th October 2000, 15:24
I agree with Dan Hardens assessment to some degree but don't personally feel the way I guess he feels most people do. Although I am a dedicated student of Yanagi ryu, I still visit and train with as many different aiki practitioners as possible.

gees tobs.........

I tried to respond to the very legitimate question of why there was and is such a low turnout. I didn't intend my 5 examples to be a definitive survey :)
I spent the eighties and nineties traveling around and feeling the Aiki of some top guys as well, although I have never felt Yanagi ryu or Roppokai.
My examples are still fairly accurate. I personally know people who *would* go but are not allowed. And several others who *have* gone and like what they do better. And that goes for people I know who *have* felt Yanagi ryu, Roppokai, Aikido and BJJ as well. More and more I find that the notion of what *it* is, is subjective.
That being said. Many have researched and found *their* art and they are content.

Dan

[Edited by Dan Harden on 10-16-2000 at 09:31 AM]

16th October 2000, 20:13
Dan,

I wasn't slammin you. I was agreeing with you. I think your observations were correct and your reasoning sound.

I personally strive to always have an open mind. It's just the way I am. I never rule out the possibility that I may learn something new or understand something more completely because it's presented to me from a new perspective. The best teachers I have met were constantly learning and receptive to the idea that there was always a new discovery around the bend. This was not idle talk or mouth waza. To these individuals this was an everyday reality and obsession. Their cups were truly empty their whole lives. Takamura Sensei constantly sought to improve and augment his understanding of martial arts, even into his last years of training. Don Angier keeps me amazed because he continues improving year after year, and this at an age when most in his posiion would sit back on their laurels and coast.

If you are happy where you are I am happy for you. Contentment in where you are is a great level to reach. I am sure however that your quest to forge the perfect sword will never end. Like me, it is just who and how you are.

Sincerest respects,

Tobs

[Edited by Toby Threadgill on 10-17-2000 at 08:46 AM]

Dan Harden
16th October 2000, 22:12
Hey Tobs

No, no. I am NOT content. What I meant was that I am content to strive in what I am in. See what I mean?
It is also why I said I would rather be at a particular place 3 1/2 hours from here!

Dan
I hope to never be content

Carlos Estrella
17th October 2000, 00:17
Does anyone think any of the Daito Ryu groups would be willing to do an online seminar? I know it might be an imperfect medium, but since so many of us have problems attending such an important event... it might be worth considering. Because of my current job, I know the technology exists, and I have experience in doing online seminars (I design them for a Silicon Valley software company).

Ideas or comments?

Carlos

Nathan Scott
17th October 2000, 23:12
[Post deleted by user]

Carlos Estrella
17th October 2000, 23:33
I started discussing the possibility of an online Daito Ryu seminar (free or pay), if any of the legitimate (we'll debate that one later :-) ) Daito Ryu teachers would be interested in participating.

Carlos

Justin Campbell
13th November 2000, 20:57
Who was there? Lets here your comments on this event! I was home with my new baby and could not attend. :(

Please let me know what was covered, how it went and the attendance level.

Thanks... wish I could have been there!

JJ

Roger Lake
14th November 2000, 12:58
Hi Justin,
The seminar was terrific as usual. Kondo sensei demonstrated many oyowaza and also got into a lot of detail concerning many of the Ikkajo series techniques. We also got into some idori and hanza handachi waza. Fantastic seminar, I would have attended if it was double the price.

Roger Lake

Ron Tisdale
14th November 2000, 14:04
Ditto. I really can't say enough about the quality of the instruction, the openness of the instructors, and the superb quality of the technique. I look forward to next year.

Ron Tisdale

J. Ribot
15th November 2000, 00:45
Hi Justin,

I most certainly have to agree with Roger and Ron. The semminar was truly wonderful, and I have the body aches and bruises to prove it. Kondo Sensei and his assistant instructors are by all means class acts. Truly insperational, you missed a good one. My best to your new family. hope to see you at the next semminar.

Best Wishes,

Juan

Kendoguy9
25th July 2001, 08:04
Hello everybody,

I have recently been assigned to be the "web guy" for Aikido Martial Arts Institute here in Baltimore. It is my job to help Mr. John Goss keep everyone informed about our Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu study group, under the guidance of Mr. Katsuyuki Kondo, Menkyo Kaiden in Daito-ryu. Also, I have noticed a lot of people saying they have had little chance to train in Daito-ryu. Maybe this will help?

First thing I would like to mention to everyone is that Mr. Katsuyuki Kondo will be here in Baltimore again for his 4th seminar. Every year it gets larger and larger, and we expect a great turn out again this year. The seminar will be Oct. 13th through the 14th, at Perry Hall High school just north of Baltimore City. For more information about the 2001 seminar please go to the Aikido Martial Arts Institute website:

http://www.charm.net/~aikido/daitoryu.shtml

Next item on the chopping block is members from the Baltimore Daito-ryu study group will be going to Japan this Sept. to train with Mr. Kondo. There will be three members, and I am one of them :). Unfortunately Mr. Goss the study group supervisor will not be able to come out, but was very kind in helping us with introductions and permission from Mr. Kondo. When I get back I will post some pictures for everyone to enjoy.

For those living in a cave, this coming spring, there will be one of the largest Aiki-budo expos ever held, in Las Vegas. As I am sure you can imagine Mr. Kondo was one of the first guest Sensei to be announced. The members of Aikido Martial Arts Institute will be helping to accommodate Mr. Kondo to the very best of our ability. To add extra stress Mr. Goss the study group advisor will be doing a Demo at the Expo. We all hope to meet many of you out there in cyber space.

Finally, for everyone interested in Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu, our study group is active and guests are more then welcome. We train every Tues. and Thurs. night and have a strong core of students, many of whom only come for the Daito-ryu study group (like yours truly). We also have a bunch of drifters from the aikido class looking to improve their aikido through classical application. All are welcome, just give us a call at (410) 529-5222.

Any questions? Feel free to email me.
Gambatte!

Ron Tisdale
25th July 2001, 15:46
I'd just like to say that I think you guys (especially Goss Sensei) do a fantastic job! I'm looking forward to October, and hope to see you all again. Maybe in the future I'll be able to go with you to Japan!

I'm sure Goss Sensei will do a fantastic job next spring, and I hope to be there to see it.

Kudos!

Ron Tisdale

Kendoguy9
15th September 2001, 09:30
Hello all,

After a brief and unfortunate (only unfortunate because of the circumstances of the arrival) stay in Canada I have returned from my visit to the Shimbukan dojo in Tokyo. It was a shame the trip ended on such a tragic note, because it was one of the best times of my life.

I went with two fellow members of the Daito-ryu study group here in Baltimore, for a week to Tokyo. While we all wanted to sight-see a bit, our primary goal was to train with Kondo sensei. So of the 6 available days to train (we got in Tuesday night and left Tuesday morning) we trained 5 of them with 7 sessions. Kondo sensei offered us the 6th day, but both Mr. Derek Steel (whose help was wonderful, and VERY generous considering how much time he took from his life for us) and the three study group members decided a day to sight-see in Kamakura would be nice. I'll save you all of the cultural experiences we had, as they are best learned of first hand.

The first night of training (Wed.) we met Mr. Steel for the taxi, just outside of Shinkoiwa station. After just a few moments we were in front of a three story office building that said "Kondo" on the front. We took off our shoes and climbed the two flights of stairs to the third floor where the dojo is located. after changing is a small room we got on the mats. We were introduced to the Shinto methods of bowing (something we had no real experience in) and learned how weak our bodies really were. We were put through grueling calisthenics lead by Mr. Shizuo Amano, the likes of which I have not done since I practiced very hard competitive judo in high school and early college. While all three of us pushed hard to keep up with the rest of the members I fear we fell behind considerably. After that we practiced suburi and ukemi. Kondo sensei came in and formally began class. We each gave a brief greeting to the dojo members and then practice started.

To digress a little we had a very difficult time on Kondo sensei's tatami mats. They are far harder then the mats we use here in Baltimore. The ukemi wasn't bad, although the mats were not forgiving and the few poor falls I took, I felt (and I am still feeling :laugh: ). The biggest problem we three Americans had was shikko (sic?; knee walking). Our joints were not used to the hard mats and got sore very quickly. I only wish I had brought knee pads (the thin ones) because I think I could have learned much more had my knees not hurt. Kondo sensei was very compassionate towards us though and let us do standing techniques most of the time. The last night however, we did idori waza which was to be expected, so that we could get proper corrections. It was very brutal on our soft wimpy knees but that was our own fault for not practicing enough on our knees. At times sensei even told us to stand up and stretch them out, again showing his compassion towards us. As a piece of advice to anyone who wants to train at the Shimbukan, who has bad knees or isn't used to shikko-ing on harder mats bring knee pads until you are used to it. I will begin knee practice on hard wood floors so that next time I go to the Shimbukan I will not be so pathetic and embarrass myself.

Back to it... Kondo sensei was great. One only needs to see one of his tapes to see how good his technique is, but as a teacher on a personal level he is beyond compare and should you be lucky enough to experience his teaching skill you should take it! His control and technique is fantastic. Much of the time we practiced various aikinage techniques which he broke down for us to very base components. We also performed the ikkajo section for him which he corrected. We also learned some hojojutsu waza with a sageo of a katana. It was very quick and very hard to struggle from (without choking yourself out). What was also very impressive about sensei was that he took a lot of ukemi for us. He had to know that we were doing the techniques right. This was much more humble then many modern budo sensei who wouldn't take ukemi from their students for anything.

While on the topic of humble I think it is important to mention Amano Shizuo sensei. For those who don't know Amano sensei he is the man who appears in Kondo sensei's videos and books and take ukemi for him. For those who have never worked with him there is a good reason why Amano sensei is in all of Kondo sensei's publications, he's good, he's damn good. While leading calisthenics he does them along with the students and actually out performs the students. He was encouraging new students while doing the exercises along side of them. One night he came out without his hakama on and he was wearing a white belt. I assumed he must have miss placed his black belt and didn't think anything of it, only to find out he never wears a black belt. He turns out to be a very humble man, in spite of his skill. So next time I see some fat 12th dan slob running around in a silly bright gi and a rainbow belt, I'll tell them to look at Amano sensei.

The last night sensei took us all out for dinner between the afternoon special training session and night time class. After dinner he brought us to his house (which is right next to the dojo and his office) and showed us his fabulous weapons and armor collection. He has one of the finest jutte collections I've ever seen. Of very special interest was his collection of fine Edo period clocks. One was even lent to the Science museum and was on the front cover of the exhibit book.

Well, it's getting a lot later here then I realized. I will add more about my adventures later. If there is anything anyone wants to hear about please ask. And remember that Kondo sensei will be out here in Baltimore this Oct. 13th and 14th. Please sign up and get your payment in because I think we are going to sell out early this year.

Also please pray for all those who died in this past Tues. attack on the Trade center, Pentagon and airline attacks, and those who lost family members.

gambatte!!!

[edited by request of the author for content.NS]

Arman
19th September 2001, 22:47
As one of the members of the Daito-ryu study group that just returned from Japan, I concur with everything my colleague has said.

I have trained in various martial arts since I was in grade school, and I can honestly say that Kondo sensei and the sempai at the Shimbukan dojo are some of the best martial artists I have ever encountered. Training with them was a wonderful experience. I cannot express my gratitude enough at their generosity during our visit.

One thing anyone who wishes to train in Daito-ryu (at least the mainline - I can't speak for the other branches) should know, however, is that the art is one that requires a life-long commitment. For the last 2 1/2 years that I have been studying Daito-ryu, all of my efforts have been focused on the ikkajo (the first 30 kata of the Hiden Mokuroku). It takes on average 5 years to complete study of the ikkajo to merit testing for shodan. If this tells you anything, it is that there is a far deeper level to the kata then one may at first imagine. After all, only 30 kata doesn't seem like much! A novice may at first glance look at the tapes or the books where the ikkajo are presented in technical detail and think that mastery is an easy process. This would be an erroneous assumption. As someone who has studied the ikkajo for a few years and trained with Kondo Sensei personally, I am just beginning to understand the depth of the ikkajo kata. In fact, I don't think it is an understatement to say that one could spend a lifetime studying only the ikkajo and not have complete mastery of the kata and the principles beneath them.

So, to all those technique junkies out there that want to dabble in Daito-ryu, my advice is to save your time and energy. I have come to believe that one must commit oneself totally to the art or not at all. One of the most profound things I experienced at the Shimbukan was the confrontation with my self. Never have I encountered a dojo that constantly tests your physical, mental and psychic limits. This confrontation is a result not just of the training, but of the physical environment of the dojo itself. It was the first time I really understood what Donn Draeger meant when he said that the classical ryuha are more about self-perfection than self-protection. Kondo Sensei, I believe, embodies this spirit in character and deeds.

So if you are looking for the real deal, so to speak, and ready to commit yourself, Daito-ryu is a good home. Just be prepared to encounter some unknown roads on the long path ahead.

Good Luck!
Arman Partamian
Daito-ryu Study Group
Baltimore, MD

[Two threads were merged together. NS]

Kendoguy9
5th July 2002, 07:03
Hello everyone!!!

It brings me great pleasure to announce that Kondo Katsuyuki sensei headmaster of the mainline of Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu will be in Baltimore Maryland at the Aiki Martial arts Institue this October for a seminar on the 19th and 20th. This will be Kondo sensei's 4th visit for a seminar in Baltimore. For those of you who missed him in Las Vegas, he was the most popular teacher there; filling tiny racket ball courts with nearly 100 people (I know I was there)!!! The seminar cost will be $200 for 8 hours of training plus a special guest lecture by Mr. Stan Pranin on the relationship between aikido and Daito-ryu. Even though we will be taking registrations until Oct. 15th, please get your money in early, there is already a lot of demand on this seminar, and there is a chance that we can sell out before the 15th. To make things even better the mats will be provided by Zebra Mats, the same great folks who provided mats for the Aiki Expo in Las Vegas!!! For more details please see our website:

http://www.aikimartialarts.com/daitoryu-seminar.shtml

or call:

410-592-5233

I hope to see some E-budo people there!!! Come by and introduce yourself.

gambatte!!!

Kendoguy9
9th August 2002, 17:14
Hello everyone,

I am very pleased to announce that this October 19th and 20th Kondo Katsuyuki sensei, Menkyo Kaiden in Daito-ryu aikijujutsu will be teaching a seminar here in Baltimore, Maryland. This will be his fourth seminar in Baltimore. For those of you who did not get the chance to go to the large Aiki-Expo hosted by Stan Pranin and Aikinews this past May now is your chance to train with Kondo sensei. I attended every class of Kondo sensei's that I could and they were all packed beyond the limit. Kondo sensei is wonderful. He does not hold anything back. One of the classes at the Expo he was even teaching some Menkyo Kaiden waza!!! This year in Baltimore will be very special. Four students, including myself, will be testing for shodan before the seminar. As far as I know this will be the first time Kondo sensei has tested and ranked anyone outside of Japan. There will be two full days of training, four hours each day. It will be at Perry Hall high school which is nice because there are many restaurants and places to eat as well as some nice places to shop. Zebra Mats, the company that donated mats for the Aiki-Expo will also be providing 200 mats for our seminar as well. Mats will be sold before and after the seminar as well for anyone who wants a few mats to bring home. And if all of this is not enough Mr. Stan Pranin, noted aikido and aikijujutsu historian, will be giving a lecture on the relationship between aikido and aikijujutsu. For information about registration, directions, itinerary, etc. please check out:
http://www.aikimartialarts.com/daitoryu-seminar.shtml

I hope to see some of you there,

Arman
24th October 2002, 03:42
Dear E-Budo Comrades,

Well, another successful DR seminar with Katsuyuki Kondo Sensei has passed into history and I am happy to report that all went well. It was a weekend chock full of trials faced and overcome, knowledge gained and refreshing beverages consumed. Stan Pranin provided a wonderful historical lecture to break up the training and Kondo Sensei provided a backdrop of rare, historical documents to highlight important points of Stan's talk. Saturday evening, all participants were invited for pizza and beer at Goss Sensei's dojo, where we lounged on the mat and talked about all manner of things late into the night (well, 11:00 pm, anyway - hey, I was tired). Training-wise Kondo Sensei demonstrated the many different types and applications of DR aiki-based principles and techniques and contrasted them with a demonstration of DR Jujutsu techniques.

I would like to personally thank Kondo Sensei, Goss Sensei, Stan Pranin, Derek Steel and Scott Vogeley. It is primarily the efforts of these individuals that made the seminar possible and also made it such a success. I must also thank my long-time training partners, Chris and Brian, without whom I could not have travelled as far as I have, to date, on this long road.

Gambatte, friends.

Best regards,

Arman Partamian
Daito ryu Study Group
Maryland

MarkF
25th October 2002, 15:46
There are some interesting photos and such over on Aikido Journal online:

http://www.aikidojournal.com/new/editor.asp?id=272

I hope the link here isn't out of line, but there is one pic of Kondo-sensei using an aiki technique which may be of some interest though I found a couple of them remarkably judo-like in application (not including the picture mentioned above).

There are some with new shodan which I understand to have some historic value in mainline AJJ.

Mark

Arman
25th October 2002, 18:24
Four of us received shodan, and three received kyu ranking. It is somewhat historic in that this was the first time that the mainline Daito ryu has promoted students outside of Japan. We are not, however, the first shodans (or higher) of the mainline Daito ryu in the U.S. There is also currently one sandan and one nidan (and soon to be another nidan when he moves back) in the U.S.

Best regards,

Arman Partamian
Daito ryu Study Group
Maryland

Brently Keen
26th October 2002, 03:48
Congratulations to you all on your recent promotions! Also glad to hear the seminar went well and that those who attended had a great time of training and learning.

Regards,

Brently Keen

Dan Harden
30th October 2002, 03:00
Who's Kondo?

Dan

30th October 2002, 04:26
Mr. Harden,

I believe they are referring to Katsuyuki Kondo Sensei, Menkyo Kaiden under the late Tokimune Takeda Sensei (Daito-ryu Aikibudo).

Arman
30th October 2002, 17:28
Dan,

Very funny. :look:

Love,

Arman Partamian
Daito ryu Study Group
Maryland

strangerintokyo
6th December 2003, 15:20
katsujyki kondo !!! did anyone actually train with him ?
what is your experience ? thx

frank perini

don
6th December 2003, 19:27
Originally posted by strangerintokyo
katsujyki kondo !!! did anyone actually train with him ?
what is your experience ?

Excellent technician, down to earth presenter with a sense of humor. Look up John Goss's dojo in Baltimore. They have a study group under Kondo. He comes here for them, they go there for him.

strangerintokyo
22nd December 2003, 00:27
Thx Don. You seems to be the only one having some knowledge or willing to share the info regarding Kondo.

Frank Perini

Jay Bell
22nd December 2003, 00:57
I watched one of Kondo sensei's classes at the Aiki Expo and was very impressed. Evidently he injured his back a couple of days before, but that didn't seem to lessen his ability.

Kendoguy9
23rd December 2003, 19:10
Hello Frank and all,

I have trained with Kondo sensei. I am also a member of Mr. Goss' study group. Kondo sensei is a really great teacher and a nice man. If you have any questions I might be able to answer please ask.

Paulo K. Ogino
22nd August 2004, 17:08
Hi!

I need to contact Katsuyuki Kondo sensei, and I'd like to know if anybody has his e-mail. For now I'm not able to write letters or make any phone calls, so my communication instrument is e-mail. Any help will be highly appreciatted.

Thanks a lot.:smilejapa

Timpie
23rd August 2004, 12:44
from http://www.daito-ryu.org :

Those interested in contacting the Shimbukan are kindly directed to send mail to the following address:

Shimbukan Dojo
Higashi Yotsugi 2-10-15
Katsushika-Ku, Tokyo 124
Tel: 03-3694-4500 (in Japanese only)

No e-mail I'm afraid.

good luck.

GTO
24th November 2005, 14:00
Quoted from http://www.daito-ryu.org/kako3.html

I am now building a dojo for uchideshi in Koshimoda, in the Toi region of Shizuoka, from which Mt. Fuji is clearly visible. My idea is to hand down authentic Daito-ryu by adopting a live-in student system in a healthy environment. Based on my experience so far I don't think the authentic art will survive unless I do this. Foreigners will be welcome there, too.

Does anyone know if this ever got built? I would love the opportunity to see this dojo if it exists...

Nathan Scott
25th November 2005, 00:15
[Post deleted by user]

Eric Spinelli
3rd February 2006, 16:01
I have no connection with any branch of Daito-Ryu Aikijujutsu or Daito-Ryu Aikibudo, nor have I received any instruction in these arts, nor witnessed, in person, a formal demonstration of these arts. I have had the priveledge of being shown, informally, a few techniques by an aikido instructor who holds the rank of shodan in Daito-Ryu Jujutsu through the Daito-Ryu Bokuyokan. This has sparked my interest, and given the permission and encouragement of my aikido instructors, I am interested in obtaining a letter of introduction and writing to Kondo sensei.

I have an interest in furthering my studies of the Japanese language through travel to Japan, with an interest in furthering my interest and career in engineering in a global marketplace. As my language skills are below the level demanded by most international business, I expect to spend some 'downtime' furthering my skills before obtaining a relevant job or work experience. During this time and beyond, I wish to continue my training in either aikido or MJER iaido. I am choosing to write Kondo sensei because of his philosophies as gathered through various texts by and about him. As he strikes me as both wise and talented, I am interested in continuing my aikido through his tutelage or guidance.

Before I contact Kondo sensei, however, I would like to ask a few questions that have remained unanswered thus far:

1) I have read statements written by Kondo sensei and compiled by Stanley Pranin, among others. These statements were in English. Does Kondo sensei speak English himself, or were these translated by a student, agency, or Mr. Pranin?

2) If Kondo sensei does not speak English, which of his students do and of these students, who is of the correct status or office that I might address the letter to Kondo sensei through them?

3) I understand that non-Japanese have been permitted to study under Kondo sensei and that most student-teacher relationships are developed and maintained on an unique and individual basis. Can anybody speak loosely on the nature of training under Kondo, both directly and indirectly, as a foreigner? Is it common practice to obtain proficiency or rank in one's native country or with other designated teachers/study group directors before being admitted to Kondo's dojo?

4) Of the foreign students training directly under Kondo sensei, can anybody speak to whether Kondo sensei or any organization with which he is affiliated have a history of sponsoring visa applicants? If so, can anybody speak to the nature of these visas (cultural, work, tourist, etc)?

5) Kondo sensei holds a degree from the Chiba Engineering University. I have seen some reference to his line of work, but nothing pertaining to the specifics of his degree or academic curriculum. Are the specifics of this publicly available? Among other things, I would be interested to discuss with him our mutual interest in engineering and how the scientific method has effected his art and outlook, including his statement that "budo and life are one and the same." Finding out his field of expertise is a matter of curiousity.

judasith
3rd February 2006, 16:57
6) Is it also possible to know the exact type of underwear Kondo Sensei wears, so that I can also buy the same type?

:P

Just a joke, please don't make it a flame!

Kendoguy9
3rd February 2006, 20:34
That was funny!

Arman
3rd February 2006, 21:46
Eric,

I'm sure someone will PM you about this. If you haven't received any information in the next few days, let me know and I might be able to help direct some of your inquiries through the proper channels.

Best,
Arman Partamian

Arman
3rd February 2006, 21:48
Giacomo made a joke!! :D

That really was funny.

Nathan Scott
4th February 2006, 05:06
[Post deleted by user]

Mike Haftel
4th February 2006, 21:59
I have no connection with any branch of Daito-Ryu Aikijujutsu or Daito-Ryu Aikibudo, nor have I received any instruction in these arts, nor witnessed, in person, a formal demonstration of these arts. I have had the priveledge of being shown, informally, a few techniques by an aikido instructor who holds the rank of shodan in Daito-Ryu Jujutsu through the Daito-Ryu Bokuyokan. This has sparked my interest, and given the permission and encouragement of my aikido instructors, I am interested in obtaining a letter of introduction and writing to Kondo sensei.

I have an interest in furthering my studies of the Japanese language through travel to Japan, with an interest in furthering my interest and career in engineering in a global marketplace. As my language skills are below the level demanded by most international business, I expect to spend some 'downtime' furthering my skills before obtaining a relevant job or work experience. During this time and beyond, I wish to continue my training in either aikido or MJER iaido. I am choosing to write Kondo sensei because of his philosophies as gathered through various texts by and about him. As he strikes me as both wise and talented, I am interested in continuing my aikido through his tutelage or guidance.

Before I contact Kondo sensei, however, I would like to ask a few questions that have remained unanswered thus far:

1) I have read statements written by Kondo sensei and compiled by Stanley Pranin, among others. These statements were in English. Does Kondo sensei speak English himself, or were these translated by a student, agency, or Mr. Pranin?

2) If Kondo sensei does not speak English, which of his students do and of these students, who is of the correct status or office that I might address the letter to Kondo sensei through them?

3) I understand that non-Japanese have been permitted to study under Kondo sensei and that most student-teacher relationships are developed and maintained on an unique and individual basis. Can anybody speak loosely on the nature of training under Kondo, both directly and indirectly, as a foreigner? Is it common practice to obtain proficiency or rank in one's native country or with other designated teachers/study group directors before being admitted to Kondo's dojo?

4) Of the foreign students training directly under Kondo sensei, can anybody speak to whether Kondo sensei or any organization with which he is affiliated have a history of sponsoring visa applicants? If so, can anybody speak to the nature of these visas (cultural, work, tourist, etc)?

5) Kondo sensei holds a degree from the Chiba Engineering University. I have seen some reference to his line of work, but nothing pertaining to the specifics of his degree or academic curriculum. Are the specifics of this publicly available? Among other things, I would be interested to discuss with him our mutual interest in engineering and how the scientific method has effected his art and outlook, including his statement that "budo and life are one and the same." Finding out his field of expertise is a matter of curiousity.

Good luck!

By the way, I see you're in Troy. Do you know about the Saratoga Springs Martial Arts Festival? If not, go to www.saratogafestival.com

Tamlorn Chase
4th February 2006, 22:16
Hope this helps.

http://www.daito-ryu.org/

rickfine
5th February 2006, 20:11
PM sent, Eric.

GoshinkaiBushi
31st July 2006, 19:16
I just wanted to be sure everyone knows about the upcoming Daito-ryu seminar with Katsuyuki Kondo. It will be in the New York/New Jersey area October 6-8, 2006.

For more information, please contact Jose Garrido at 201-766-3303 or Daitoryu2000@aol.com

Hope to see you all there.

Justin

Kendoguy9
12th October 2006, 23:53
Hello all,

I just wanted to send a public "thank you," to Kondo Katsuyuki sensei for the excellent seminar and Mr. Jose' Garrido for hosting Kondo sensei this past weekend. The training was good and hard as always with sensei. Mr. Garrido did a very good job organizing the seminar and his dojo was a very nice space to train in. We covered a great deal of information in the short time we had together, and no one was injured. I would also like to thank everyone I was able to train with. I hope to see everyone again and train.

Thank you again and safe training,

Jose Garrido
13th October 2006, 00:22
Chris,

Thank-you for your kind words. I too would like to express my thanks to all of the participants and of course to Kondo sensei and his assistants, Hasegawa sensei and Derek Steel.

I will be writing a complete report about the seminar in the near future with some photos.

At this time I would once again like to invite anyone in the NYC area that is interested in training mainline Daito-ryu to visit our dojo. The class meets 3 times per week, but we prefer visitors to come on Saturdays at 12 noon (class ends at 3pm). And if possible, give us a call first at 201-943-0090.

Respectfully,
Jose' Garrido

Jose Garrido
31st October 2006, 12:31
The seminar review is now available at www.aikidojournal.com under the Blogs.

I am still obtaining the over 200 photos taken during the seminar. Once I get them onto a disc I will post some of them.

Jose Garrido

YSKBudo
18th October 2007, 17:26
Hi all,

I have an etiquette question: i´m living in Taiwan right now and i plan to go to Tokyo for a week. I would like to train in the Shimbukan dojo (maybe 2 or 3 days only this time), so i am preparing an inquirie in japanese as specified in their webpage.

The question is: how do i should introduce myself? Do i have to mention any personal experience related with daito ryu aikijujutsu? Do i have to tell them who are my masters and my ranks? What is really necessary to say and what i should avoid in that inquiry?

I was training a system 60% daito ryu 40% yoseikan aikido for 2 years in Spain. My other martial experience is more focused in some sogo, gendai budo (aikido, judo) and combat sports.

Maybe is not so hard to join there, but i want to ask them as politely as possible. If some of you joined there for some time (short or long time), please let me know your experiences there.

Unfortunatelly, my trip to Japan is short this time and i will stay in Tokyo only. What to say about this branch and the other Daito Ryu branchs, specially in Hokkaido?

Thanks,

john_lord_b3
19th October 2007, 10:41
Try sending a formal application letter (in Japanese) to the address as written in this website

http://daito-ryu.org/schedule_eng.html

Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Headquarters
Shimbukan Dojo

Address: 3F, 2-10-15 Higashi Yotsugi, Tokyo, 124-0031.

Or, contact their overseas representatives (they speak English :) )

Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu of Los Angeles, USA

Branch head: Mark Sumi

Phone: 310-200-6407

Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu of Philadelphia, USA

Branch head: Derek Steel

Address: c/o Aikikai of Philadelphia, 2100 Chestnut St., Philadelphia, PA 19103, USA.
Phone:  215-563-8108
Email: dsteel@shutokukan.org

http://www.budophiladelphia.org

Training is held on Sundays from 12:30 to 15:00 and other times by appointment.

Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu of Richmond, USA

Branch head: Scott Vogeley

Address: c/o Aikido in the Fan, 2310 1/2 West Main Street, Richmond, VA 23220, USA.
Phone: 804-340-0116

Training is held on Tuesdays from 18:30 to 20:30 and other times by appointment.

The Hong Kong Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Association

Branch head: Dermot Creagh

Email: hk_daito_ryu_aikijujutsu@yahoo.com.hk

Training schedule and location

Mondays: 19:00-21:00, The Yuen Wo Road Sports Centre in Shatin.

Wednesdays: 19:00-21:00, The North Kwai Chung Tang Shiu Kin Sports Centre.

Maryland Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Study Group, USA

Contact person: John Goss

Address: Aiki Martial Arts Institute, 227-C Gateway Drive, Bel Air, MD 21015, USA.
Phone: 410-420-3408

hope this helps!

YSKBudo
22nd October 2007, 18:44
Thanks John. Unfortunately, I am not into any of these branchs. So i am looking for any experience about the way to do the things right with this organization. If anyone was training there, please PM me.

Thanks,

Kendoguy9
22nd October 2007, 23:11
Dear Julio,

The best advice is to contact the Shimbukan directly. I would suggest calling them if you can speak Japanese, or send them a letter/fax. I don't know if there are currently any English speaking students at the dojo so a letter/fax should be in Japanese, too. Contacting one of the branch dojo heads would be a good alternative. Dermot, Scott, Derek, Mark and Toma have all lived in Tokyo for a number of years and have studied with Kondo sensei.

In all honesty I don't think you will get much out of two or three nights of training there. Sensei has a limited amount of time to teach in each class and the time he would spend with you is time away from his invested students. Since you are already a student of judo and aikido you might be better off training in a style where you already have some knowledge base. If on the other hand you wish to try to establish a long term relationship with Kondo sensei then that will be between you and sensei. I would briefly explain your intentions and experiences and see what Kondo sensei tells you to do.

As far as I know there are still Daito-ryu dojos in Hokkaido (Abashiri, Obihiro, Hakodate). Kondo sensei has good relationships with the other main Daito-ryu branches.

Best regards,

YSKBudo
23rd October 2007, 12:02
Thanks, Christopher. I left a PM for you.

Best regards,

Jose Garrido
31st October 2007, 13:58
Good Morning All,

I am happy to announce that we are now able to offer our Daito-ryu Classes on Saturday in an extended training format. The classes will now run from 10:30am to 2:30pm.

Anyone who is trully interested in studying mainline tradition Daito-ryu is welcomed to attend our study group in the NYC metro area.

Just drop me an email for details at daitoryu2000@aol.com

I only check that email address every other day so please be patient for a response.

Jose Garrido

judasith
30th August 2008, 09:53
Dear posters and everybody,

I just got back to Italy after spending one month in Tokyo to practice martial arts.

During this month I also spent some time training Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu under Kondo Sensei.

I was very lucky, because I received almost everytime direct instruction by him or by Amano Sensei, so I had the chance to practice with the strongest exponent of Mainline Daito-ryu.

At first I only knew by the documents that Tommaso Leonetti gave me, plus the ones that Kondo Sensei himself showed me that Kondo Sensei's was the real Daito-ryu.

But I have to say, what really astonished me and surprised me, was his technical level and ability!
I practice Kendo five times a week, do bodybuilding and I've been training for 10 years almost 3-4 times a week in the ex-Seishinkai Daito-ryu. I think honestly my arms and wrists are pretty strong, and it is very difficult to make techniques work against me, even when I'm just doing passive resistance... BUT Kondo Sensei's waza and Amano Sensei's waza always worked against me, regardless of the amount of strenght and power I put, and RESISTANCE I put, I was always either clapping for the pain, or powerless, or thrown to the ground.
Then they would invite me to do the techniques as I've been taught and they would put up resistance, and I could NOT make them work!

After almost ten years, I understood that what I've doing up to now was POWER ONLY techniques, that worked based on the pure force and experience I had... and especially I understood that WE HAD NO AIKI understanding at all in the Seishinkai/Daitokai. And I'm not meaning of some spiritual power, it's a mechanical/practical thing in most cases, that we simply did not have.

And the reason is simple, my ex-teachers did not teach me, because they DO NOT KNOW it.

There were so many small details - but so important - that Kondo Sensei taught me and that no one else ever did, from Aiki to pressure points to more efficient ways of doing the same techniques that left me literally with my mouth open for surprise.

Now I know, that regardless of the documents, recognitions, international and local support, titles and everything that Kondo Sensei has, it is for the TECHNIQUES level of efficacy and detail that he is the true and only successor of mainline Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu!

I have to apologize and say sorry to everybody I sometimes even aggressively attacked in the past, and for helping spread lies that in all good faith I thought were truth.

I have to apologize especially to Kondo Sensei, Amano Sensei and all the exponents of Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu for the mistakes I made in the past, even if done because of my inexperience and youngness (I'm still only 28 now!)

Thank to everybody that helped me reach finally, after so many years, the truth, and make me passionate again for this noble and ancient art, like Derek Steel, Ted Howell, Nathan Scott, Brian Wagner, Christopher Covington, of course Tommaso Leonetti and many others that supported me and understood what I went through in this last year.

You can all be sure I will throw myself with redoubled will and passion in spreading and supporting what I finally know is real Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu.

Now more than ever I know that the old saying is true:
"It's best to spend ten years searching for a good teacher, than few minutes with a bad one"

With my best regards,

Giacomo Merello

henjoyuko
30th August 2008, 15:55
Hi Giacomo,

First let me congratulate you on your new training experience and happiness. I certainly hope it continues.

Next, may I offer a comment? You stated:

". . . it is for the TECHNIQUES level of efficacy and detail that he is the true and only successor of mainline Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu!"

This seems to imply that if one is has the best "TECHNIQUES level of efficacy and detail" they deserve to be successor, which, to my limited understanding, is rarely true in the realm of Koryu and is often confusing to those used to the realm of Gendai Budo.

The statement also seems to imply that one has trained with every individual teaching Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu and are duly qualified to make the definitive judgement as to the quality and superiority of "TECHNIQUES level of efficacy and detail" of Kondo and everyone else teaching Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu. If one stops to consider this kind of statement in this light, one can begin to see that it is a rather presumptive assertion and even could be taken as disrespectful of Kondo, and all other Daito ryu Aikijujutsu sensei.

Giacomo, I assume your statement was presented as a statement of personal truth. I just thought I'd take the opportunity to encourage others not to make the mistake of asserting that something that is definitely true within the context of an individual's limited personal experience must be universally true, and, assuming that the best at a Koryu would naturally be the inheritor of the ryu. I've made made both of these mistakes in the past. Based on what I've read of your past posts, I hope you will agree these mistakes are the product of mistaken thinking (sometimes mistaken thinking encouraged by individuals with less than altruistic motives) and best avoided when possible.

"Teacher X is the best that I've ever experienced, therefore he/she is THE best." = Flawed logic and usually a recipe for potential later embarrassment and/or regret

"Teacher X is the best at X Koryu therefore he/she is the rightful heir to X Koryu." = In most cases not

Thanks and good training!,
Allen Beebe

Nathan Scott
30th August 2008, 16:39
[Post deleted by user]

judasith
4th September 2008, 13:03
Dear Posters and all,

I am proud to announce that next October we're hosting an open Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Seminar conducted by Hombucho Kondo Katsuyuki Sensei in Milano, Italy, during a planned one-week stay in our Country of Sensei.

The Seminar will be held with the following schedule:

Saturday 11 of October, from 10.00 to 12.00 AM and from 15.00 to 17.00 PM.

Sunday 12 of October, from 10.00 to 12.00 AM and from 14.30 to 16.30 PM.

Anybody is welcome to join in.

I am the person officially entitled to gather and accept subscriptions for this event, as you can see on
www.daito-ryu.org . I can offer language support in English and Italian.

Milano is the major italian city in northern Europe and is connected internationally by 3 airports, and it is usually easy to find great deals for transportation and sleeping.

Regarding details, airport, hotel, seminar costs, please feel free to contact me at giacomo.merello@fastwebnet.it

I ask that those of you who already are members of Kondo Sensei's organization please tell me so in advance.

With my best regards,

Giacomo Merello

Jose Garrido
6th September 2008, 23:43
Giacomo,

Do you mean 2008 or 2009?

judasith
7th September 2008, 02:53
I mean 2008, that is, about a month from now Kondo Sensei is coming to Italy!

Giacomo

judasith
9th September 2008, 09:30
Through the following link, you can download the full program of the Seminar in english with the subscription form: http://www.nihonclub.it/Seminar.pdf

In addition to the Public Seminar, there will be a Private lesson on Monday 13, from 8.30 PM to 10.30 PM only open to practitioners already members of Kondo Sensei's group.

With all my best,

Giacomo

Jose Garrido
11th November 2008, 12:29
This is just to announce that the NYC Metro Study Group has been officially made a official Formal Daito-ryu Study Group by Kondo sensei. Previously this group had been functioning under a special oral consent from Kondo sensei.

For further information you may go to www.daito-ryu.org under locations.

Jose Garrido

K Keckeisen
11th November 2008, 15:18
Congradulations!!!!

I'm glad all your hard work has paid off

Kasey Keckeisen

Jitsumania
11th November 2008, 15:38
Congratulations and prayers that your group will grow and prosper.

Kendoguy9
12th November 2008, 16:44
Jose,

Congrats! It was good coming up and training with your guys on Saturday. We'll have to have more godogeiko. Maybe we can try for Philly next time. It is a great 1/2 way point for both groups I think.

Best regards,

Ron Tisdale
12th November 2008, 20:34
Dear Jose,

Congratulations! I know you have worked hard for a long time for this. I'm glad that it has paid off. Hope you and yours are well...

Best,
Ron

Jose Garrido
12th November 2008, 21:37
Thanks to all of you for your support and kind words.

Chris, Philly sounds great. I'll talk to Derek about it.

Jose Garrido

don
12th November 2008, 22:05
Yes. Congratulations.

wagnerphysed
14th November 2008, 02:03
I'm really glad to hear that your group is official! It was great coming up and training; your space has a great feel to it and your students train very hard! I like the idea of Philly, but wherever the next godo geiko happens, I hope it happens soon. I look forward to seeing and training with everyone sometime in the very near future!
Congratulations again!

Howard Popkin
16th November 2008, 23:24
Jose,

Congrats. Been a long time coming.

Train hard, land softly, drink sake :)

Take care,

Howard

Jose Garrido
29th November 2008, 13:56
Giacomo,

I heard that the seminar was a success. Will you be posting any pictures or writing a report on the training and events that occurred?

Jose' Garrido

judasith
2nd December 2008, 09:24
Dear Jose and everybody,

Here's a link of my Facebook (public) album from the Seminar:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=39601&l=7cc48&id=558102877

Best regards,

Giacomo

wagnerphysed
4th December 2008, 20:00
Thanks for posting the pics! Looks like fun was had by all!

Nathan Scott
5th December 2008, 04:08
[Post deleted by user]

Jose Garrido
6th December 2008, 00:29
Giacomo,

Nice Pics....thank-you for posting them.

Jose Garrido

Jose Garrido
25th December 2010, 23:24
I am not sure if this is the location to post this.

However, I would like to invite anyone who is interested and who knows ukemi to come to the NYC Metro Area Study Group dojo on Saturday the 8th and 15th of January 2011 at 1:00pm for a FREE introductory class in Daito-ryu.

If you are interested please contact me at the link below my signature.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Jose Garrido

Jose Garrido
23rd May 2011, 12:01
The Mainline Tradition Study Group for the NYC Metro Area has moved to a new location at 7700 River Road in North Bergen, New Jersey 07047. Persons interested should come on Saturdays (please call first) and visit our website or the Hombu website for info. We also have two late night weeknight classes. Those of you who are interested in attending the special annual training sessions in Japan, being a member of one of the study groups is the best way to possibly obtain an invitation to attend.