PDA

View Full Version : J Times vs, D Yomiuri

CKohalyk
24th October 2002, 08:21
Sorry for a serious question here, but as we all know Lobelt, in all his wisdom, gives us great snippets of Japanese daily life via the highly circulated Japan Times. How many others read the Times?

There is another thread about a Croc tears opinion article that appeared in the Times, and I was thinking that in general I find the Times to be filled with these kind of opinions (we have the Times at the office), whereas the Daily Yomiuri, which I get delivered to my home every morning, seems to be filled with the jaded, Raging opinions that I quite welcome.

Where do you all prefer to go for your news in the land of giant rubber monsters? Why?

Chad

Kimpatsu
24th October 2002, 08:34
I only buy the Daily Yomiuri on Sundays for the news from home. Otherwise, I stick to the BBC and CNN. Japanese newspapers? Who needs 'em? :cool:

CKohalyk
24th October 2002, 08:41
Ah... the Independant, and my lovely old pal Robert Fisk. Talk about an axe to grind...

BBC and CNN (mostly BBC) are a must. I also get CBC so I can keep updated on all the latest Canuck (not the team) news.

Any more informed opinions?

P Goldsbury
24th October 2002, 08:51
I take the International Herald Tribune, which also has the Asahi Shinbun in English. I also take the Asahi Shimbun in Japanese. The Yomiuri is very stuffy, as is the Japan Times, and I doubt whether the readership of the latter is all that wide. J-P Lehmann's articles appear on Mondays, but they should really appear in Japanese in a Japanese newspaper. In the Japan Times he is really preaching to the converted.

Best regards,

24th October 2002, 09:00
I only read The Far Eastern Economic Review for "serious" news, followed by a close 2nd with "The Oinion".

For Daily news it's got to be the BBC, CNN, ABC........

For me the Yomiuri and The Japan "Crimes" are about tied.

CKohalyk
24th October 2002, 09:04
Originally posted by P Goldsbury
I also take the Asahi Shimbun in Japanese... . In the Japan Times he is really preaching to the converted.

Japanese Asahi is good (my old dojo used to be there!).

Good point about preaching to the converted. It seems that most westerners who pick up the paper have been here long enough to know. Visitors who need a vision check don't stick around long enough to miss English text.

Also, a friend of mine pointed out the difference between Japanese language and English papers when the TSE dropped to just above 8 a while back. He showed me that this was front-page news for the English lang. Times, but only warranted a second page ranking in the Japanese lang. paper he had. I guess they muct be tired of hearing the same old... either that or they figure racchi mondai is more important.

FEER is great. I hope you are on their website cause man the print version is expensive!! I also like the Economist.

Onion is bloody hilarious. Did you see that article about the new Japanese manga character "Batsu-Ichi" the divorced dolphin?? They were bang on with that one.

24th October 2002, 09:11
Originally posted by CKohalyk

FEER is great. I hope you are on their website cause man the print version is expensive!! I also like the Economist.

No I am not...can you you shoot me the URL so I can save 100,000 grand a year?

CKohalyk
24th October 2002, 09:24
http://www.feer.com

According to their site "Print subscribers to the Review have free access to feer.com's full archive during the term of the print subscription. Non-print subscribers can access feer.com's full archive at an annual cost of US$49."

I am not sure if the price is regional, but I think that is much cheaper than the print (at least at the price it goes for on the stand).

24th October 2002, 10:11
Thanks for the URL