PDA

View Full Version : If you could choose...?

Tripitaka of AA
24th October 2002, 14:56
Would you rather be a White Belt beginner again, or Arai Sensei?

Shorinji Kempo has brought you something beneficial (pleasure, satisfaction, understanding), but it has been a struggle. You have tried so hard to be like your betters, striving to improve yourself in every way. So if the magic lamp was rubbed and the genie appeared before you, with only this two-option wish, which would it be?

Do you want to start your voyage again, or reach a destination?

I seem to have been posting a lot since I joined the forum. If I'm annoying you, please let me know, then I'l shut up. :D

dan_norris
25th October 2002, 00:05
Gassho

Hi David,

No, your posts are always good. Its great to have such talkative people participating in the threads instead of just sitting back on the sidelines. I personally sometimes don't join in and leave the big discussions to the more experienced kenshi while listening intently to the replies that they write down. The question is a little bit hard to answer. So if I answered "yes" to have the skills and experience of Arai sensei, that would mean that I could still progress in my learning of Shorinjikempo, staying the same age and person that I am now, right? I'd definatly say yes cause I'm only 20 years old and still have a lifetime of experiences awaiting me in Shorinjikempo. This kinda idea you brought forth reminds me of Keanu Reeves playing the role of Neo in the Matrix and suddenly learning the martial arts by a quick download through the cable connected to the back of his head. :)

Onno
25th October 2002, 00:33
Gassho __||__

Hello everyone.
This is an interesting question, if this was a topic on being a broker or a skilled craftsman I could understand asking for all the skills. In Shorinji Kempo though there is no individual destinations, just a common goal. If only one of us suddenly became better it would only help if they could teach everyone else to help catch up. I am sure Arai-sensei would say that he is very far from his destination. However if we could start over again (Including age :wink: )but retain the spirit and drive that we have now, we probably be able to encourage alot of people around us. I`m not saying that we did not have desire when we were minaraikenshi, but that it is very different now, much more focused towards the common goal.

Kesshu

Onno Kok
Alberta Shibu
Calgary Canada

Tripitaka of AA
5th November 2002, 01:22
I was just wondering whether people at different ends of the learning curve would naturally fall to either one of the choices. You know, beginners would want to be instant experts, while experienced Kenshi might prefer to go back in time to learn it all over again.

I was hoping George Hyde might feel inspired to write one of his knowledgeable posts on Michi and the true meaning of Budo. Perhaps I should be more subtle next time (like start a thread called "what does your ukemi look like then?... :D ).

... now come to think of it, that's not such a bad title ;) , I might just use that one:p

Tripitaka of AA
7th October 2008, 19:06
Lazarus was a mate of mine you know.

dirk.bruere
7th October 2008, 20:14
It's the journey that has made us what we are, for better or worse.
My goal was never to learn all the techniques and skills of SK, but to be able to learn all the skills and techniques of SK.

Dirk

paul browne
8th October 2008, 00:51
Dave,
You've proved me wrong!! Some of the stuffs obviously getting through:)
Paul