PDA

View Full Version : Senario based training

DaveB
25th October 2002, 13:21
An attempt to get a discussion going.

A large portion of what we learn (Old Army Ranger H2H modified for civilian use) is senario based training.

Some senarios: getting in and out of cars, walking through doorways, sitting at a table, single attacker, multiple attackers (punches, grabs, knife, club(s)), pinned against the wall and attacked with fist, knife, club, on the ground, etc. If anyone has an interest, I can describe a few reponses.

Dave Boylan

Dale
27th October 2002, 10:43
I am most interested Sir!

Please, describe away!

Respectfully
Dale Elsdon

DaveB
28th October 2002, 18:06
Hey Dale,

One thing we are taught is the value and threat of a wall. The senario: Bad Guy (BG) grabs Good Guy (GG) with a two hand lapel grab. The BG's goal is to push GG against the wall, pin with left hand and punch with right to head after it bounces off the wall.

The major threat of the wall here is to the GG's head and tailbone. If your head bangs off the wall, the BG doesn't have to hit you too hard. To minimize this the GG does a "back breakfall" standing up, using the rebound effect to move off the wall, block the incoming punch, and perform an escape that is best seen than described.:eek:

The escape puts you in back of the BG with his arm trapped.

Options: 1. push him into the wall face first, strike his kidney.

2. Just escape and keep on running.

3. Strike groin on way throught.

4. Keep and adjust the arm lock

Dave Boylan

Dale
28th October 2002, 22:12
Sounds interesting!

Tell me more!

Is this part of the US Rangers formal H2H combat training?

Respectfully,
Dale Elsdon

DaveB
29th October 2002, 15:19
>Sounds interesting!

>Tell me more!

Can also be done against a van or car.

>Is this part of the US Rangers formal H2H combat training?

It was, 50 years ago.

>Respectfully,
>Dale Elsdon

Dave Boylan

the Khazar Kid
26th January 2003, 02:39
Info about Close Combat tactics from 50 years ago shouldn't languish at the bottom of the page. This knowledge must be preserved both for its historical importance and its practical use in the weird times ahead! For more info on old Close Combat methods:

www.gutterfighting.org/

www.ejmas.com/jnc

The technique of pushing off the wall to counterattack sounds great. Here is a similar technique described of pushing off a wall with the foot while punching:

http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/ug/jhr4.html

Thanks for bringing this to light and keep the info coming!

Jesse Peters

DaveB
26th January 2003, 13:12
Info about Close Combat tactics from 50 years ago shouldn't languish at the bottom of the page. This knowledge must be preserved both for its historical importance and its practical use in the weird times ahead!

What little history I know. In 1949 Captain E. A. Kearns was in tasked with developing a H2H curriculum for the US Army. What I know of Kearns was that he was all over the world in WWII and served in Burma. He was a 5th dan in an old style of JJ. His methods included many of the WWII that were developed by Fairbairn, Sykes, Applegate.

Because this was during peacetime, Kearns was given a full year to train a group. They worked on H2H 8-10 hours per day, everyday. They were able to cover quite a bit more material than what could be covered during war time. As far as I know, only one of Cpt. Kearns students continued to teach after the Korean War, Pete Marro.

Dave