PDA

View Full Version : Bujinkan training and ranking online?

John Lindsey
26th October 2002, 14:54
We just had a new member join who had the following listed as his homepage:

http://www.officialbujinkanrank.com/index.php

At first I thought this might be a troll website, but I am not sure. Any comments?

Yanosuke
26th October 2002, 17:10
Wow, what the heck is that website, its quite easy today to get rank !

Bufu Ikan
26th October 2002, 19:50
If I understand it correctly this webpage belongs to a student that just joined your dojo?

If so can I have his name so I can report it to Japan.

(You can PM me if you want)

Sincerly,

Train_Alot
26th October 2002, 20:39
I have heard abouth this site and it seems to be for real.

Has anyone used it?

www.officialbujinkanrank.com (http://www.officialbujinkanrank.com)

Train_Alot
26th October 2002, 20:43
it is for real...

The rank comes form Japan, Soke... Report what???

kukisamuharu
26th October 2002, 21:29
Originally posted by John Lindsey
We just had a new member join who had the following listed as his homepage:

http://www.officialbujinkanrank.com/index.php

At first I thought this might be a troll website, but I am not sure. Any comments?

So why have you let this person join AND post without jumping on the fact that he doesn't have a name? You are usually quick to do so with others.

Mr/Mrs/Ms (?) 'Train_Alot', how about a deeper explaination of the service you are offering. The idea is interesting. Some questions:

1) How are you going to ensure the quality of the persons you rank through this medium?

2) Will you require some sort of face-to-face with people as they progress through the ranks?

Looking forward to your reply. Feel free to email me if you prefer.

kirigirisu
26th October 2002, 23:04
Hmm

Would trust this site about as far as I could toss the combined weight of any two members of the forum with both arms tied behind my back.

The lack of any legitimate instructor/course information and the fact that the site is asking you for money without telling you who is training you or what sort of training you will be receiving leads me to believe it is either a troll site or a scam to get thirteen-year-old Teenage Mutant Ninjer Wannabes to slip mommy's credit card out of her purse and type in the nice numbers on the front in the spaces provided along with those three digits on the back of the card and the expiration date...

That being said, correspondence instruction in any Martial Art is a bit sus in my opinion. Get a real-live-physical-in-the-vicinity-of-your-spacial-and-temporal-coordinates instructor.

kukisamuharu
27th October 2002, 00:00
Originally posted by Train_Alot
I have heard abouth this site and it seems to be for real.

Has anyone used it?

www.officialbujinkanrank.com (http://www.officialbujinkanrank.com)

:idea: Perhaps you should change your name to "Trolls_Alot".
You must know something about the site. It is listed as your homepage in your profile. Soooo, why don't you share what you've "heard about this site". Tell us about it. :rolleyes:

Oni
27th October 2002, 00:08
Train_alot,

As has been mentioned already it is our policy to sign all posts with your full real name. Please do so.

John Lindsey
27th October 2002, 03:09
If I understand it correctly this webpage belongs to a student that just joined your dojo?

No, he joined e-budo. I screen all new members and visited his website just to check it out...

John Lindsey
27th October 2002, 03:11
Dear Train_Alot,

Please remember to follow the rules and sign your name to your posts...

Bufu Ikan
27th October 2002, 05:46
Mr. Trainalot,

Could you explain yourself how is it possible for you to sell Bujinkan Ranks without any moral thoughts?

Was this type of action approved in Japan?

If you wish to answer these things via private please do so
at bufuikan@bufuikan.com

P.S. Thanks for clarifying John, from your first post it sounded like it was a student not an E budo member.

JimGould
27th October 2002, 11:02
New Student (1st Kyu)
1se Degree $125
2nd Degree $250
3rd Degree $350
4th Degree $450
5th Degree $500
6th Degree $899
7th Degree $999
8th Degree $1150
9th Degree $1250

No one notice the deliberate mistake? :D

It's a joke guys surely :o

janjensen
27th October 2002, 12:43
If this is a joke why has he then set up a whole payment system ?

By the way this guy must be a reel Ninja, I mean you ask him a question and he wanish. One min. He is there, the next he is gone.....
lol
(sorry, bad joke).

Don Roley
27th October 2002, 13:17
I have the feeling that this is either,

A) a con artist trying to score some easy cash from gullible people.

or,

B) one of the neo ninja guys that set this thing up to show to other people and try to convince them that Bujinkan rank can be bought.

There are no personal names or dojo names given, which lets "train a lot" avoid having his story checked out for a short while. How are we supposed to see if he is a legitimate Bujinkan member when we don't know his name? And with the payment system he has, I doubt we can tell where he lives. Of course, you are never going ot get the rank so you can't check the postal code.

This guy has no relation with the Bujinkan. If he did he would put some sort of name on the site, and he would know that not only is Hatsumi the ony person who gives fifth dan rank, he is the only one who can giveany rank above fourth. The guy who set up this site does not seem to know this and has listing for up to tenth dan, only making an expception for fifth.

Can someone who knows more about this contact the proper authorities. I do not know where to begin. It is obviously a fraud site, set up to accept money from people.

John Anderson
27th October 2002, 18:17
Originally posted by Don Roley
and he would know that not only is Hatsumi the ony person who gives fifth dan rank, he is the only one who can giveany rank above fourth. The guy who set up this site does not seem to know this and has listing for up to tenth dan, only making an expception for fifth.

Although it is true that in theory Hatsumi Sensei is the only person who can award rank of 5th dan and above, in practice, instructors can request and receive rank above 5th dan for others. When I was a Bujinkan fifth dan, a judan offered to write to Japan on my behalf to get me a higher rank (an offer which I declined) and I know of two individuals in the UK who this year have received ranks above fifth dan through the post because someone else has asked for it. Therefore, there is a possibility that the person running this site is able to supply what he says he can, the only thing which bothers me is the prices he's charging!

Bufu Ikan
27th October 2002, 20:31
This matter is being investigated further, I kindly request that Bujinkan members refrain from commenting about it until we have some facts to report.

Sincerly,

The Tengu
27th October 2002, 20:43
Alright, well I resisted posting on this but hey what the hell.
The domain officialbujinkanrank.com was purchased using GoDaddy's private registration service so that contact information is not publically available. This costs and extra $6 per month, on top of the $9 it costs to register a domain with this company.
There is no contact information listed on the site.
The site is using PayPal's payment system.
The site is being hosted for approximately $10 a month (at SiteGenie, LLC).
So basically, at this point I feel that it is a very low-cost ($25) endeavour set up as a prank of sorts, so that we talk about it and say "oh god that is so messed up! who did that! who are they!" Bleh.

Thanks, everyone, for feeding the excitement thus far, but I think it should be ignored for now, by everyone.

Thanks.

Oni
27th October 2002, 22:01
As the rank selling website owner has not come back to sign his name or answer any questions I am closing this topic. More than likely this is either a scam or a cheap gag. Either way not much to talk about without more information.