PDA

View Full Version : Trusting teachers

Bradenn
28th October 2002, 17:00
Something interesting to consider:

On the one hand, students are advised to trust the teachers and to accept that they have a reason for teaching the way they do even though the student may not understand it (e.g. Daniel doing wax-on, wax-off). In other words, we should not second-guess the instructor even though the training appears unstructured or is not what we expect.

One the other hand, Hatsumi-sensei seems to want each student to bear the responsiblity of discerning the good teacher from the bad. This requires us not trusting the teacher automatically and indeed having to do some second-guessing.

So ... when do you trust and when do you not trust? (obviously there are cases when you don't trust e.g. sexual or physical abuse, outrageous chi power or ninja magic stuff etc.)

Anyone else ever found this issue a bit confusing?

It reminds me of movies like A Few Good Men or Crimson Tide which explore the question of when a soldier should disobey a superior.

----------------
Braden Nicols

Evan London
29th October 2002, 11:55
A good teacher will expalin the motives behind their actions and teachings in a clear and concise manner to aid their students understanding. To do less is not respecting your students.

When a teacher teaches like they shuold not be questioned, its time to look for another teacher. Pride and conceit have no place in the dojo, even from the teacher.

A good time to trust a teacher is when they give you a good reason to do so, and not before. Trus is earned, not a right.

Ev

MCOLBOURNE
29th October 2002, 16:22
Trust is indeed earned over time and not given.

It is also in degrees i.e you may trust someone enough to ask them to watch your bag but you may not trust them enough to ask them to watch your children. Until the relationship develops and you establish rapport and trust, it is wise to 'keep your eyes open' and never blindly follow another. This is sometimes misinterpreted as 'I should challenge the teacher on occasions when I do not understand or agree with...'. Somethings my teacher taught me I only now feel I understand many years later.

Hold on to your doubts for a while and you will find that many fall away once your understanding increases. However, it is sensible to ask questions if they are strong question marks - but it is more diplomatic to ask the teacher privately with the clear intention that you are not just asking out of idle curiosity or to score points etc.

It is natural and healthy to question things and trusting your teacher is a natural process developed through time.

Michael Colbourne
Bujinkan Bristol/Walsall Dojo

Tamdhu
29th October 2002, 18:59
I look to the senior students of a given instructor for clues as to where my training with that person is likely to go. That and listening to your own gut responses to things is all I can offer.

Bujinkan training is 99% self-directed, and you will constantly have to exercise judgement on your own behalf. Kinda like life!