PDA

View Full Version : Kendo in Pittsburgh?

Stuart D
28th October 2002, 22:29
Hi, I'm interested in what kendo there is in Pittsburgh. I looked on the AUSKF website and found a number for a club but it's sadly a wrong number. Instead of a kendo club I wound up talking to a man who was tired of being called by people interested in kendo. Can anyone help me get the correct contact info?

Stuart Davis

gendzwil
29th October 2002, 19:51
I think Pittsburgh kendo might be dead. The fellow who was running the club is an old student of ours but he's moved. I'll send you his e-mail via PM, maybe he has a contact.

Mark Tankosich
30th October 2002, 02:49
For what it's worth, many years ago there was a kendo group that practiced in one of the University of Pittsburgh's facilities. I've been out of the country (and Pittsburgh) a long time, but they may still be active. Perhaps it would be worth a call to Pitt?

Good luck,

Mark

gendzwil
30th October 2002, 13:59
I think that would be our old student Alain's group, don't know if it survived his leaving. I PM'd his current email to the original poster.

socho
1st November 2002, 02:04
don't know of any kendo, but there is a good Toyama-ryu Batto-do (iaido) group and the same guys do aikido.

Stuart D
1st November 2002, 02:40
Thanks for the replies. Is there iaido in the area? I'm not familiar with batto-do but I believe that's cutting, yes? Again, thank you for your replies.

Stuart Davis

Charlie Kondek
4th November 2002, 13:46
Batto-do is very similar to iaido. I don't know of any Pittsburgh kendo, but there's one in Philly. (That's way far away, but still...)