PDA

View Full Version : OFB3 seminar in Houston

m harper
29th October 2002, 14:03
Everyone,

Mark Your calendars.

The Bujinkan Houston Dojo is proud to announce the OFB3(Old Farts of the Bujinkan 3)

When: Feb 8th-9th Sat. 9:30 am - 5:00 pm
Sun. 9:30 am - 3:30 pm

Cost: $75 if prepaid by 2/1
$100 at the door

Where: Gymnastics USA
10903 Tower Oaks
Houston, TX

Hosts: Mark Harper & Rich Cearley

Guest Instructors:
Shihan Ed Martin
Shihan Joseph Adriance
Shihan Glenn Morris
Shihan Ralph Severe

Items to bring:
training gun, 3 ft. rope, training knife, rubber shuriken,
hanbo, bo, shoto, and bokken.

We will have a "Thank You" dinner for the people involved in setting up and helping with the Tai Kai on Saturday night at 7:00.
For more info and questions contact:

Mark Harper
bujinkandojo@houston.rr.com

We will have some Tai Kai items for sale as well as books, tapes and training equipment.

Kamiyama
30th October 2002, 21:44
For those coming to this seminar and family get together...

I will teaching one of the following from the KAMIYAMA DOJO methods..

Battojutsu

Rokushakubojutsu

Nawajutsu

Thanks,
kamiyama, ralph severe

Noodles
31st October 2002, 01:29
What is Nawajutsu, or where could I find more information about it? Thanks in advance.

BigJon
31st October 2002, 03:14
Noodles, Hello! nawajutsu or hojojutsu are techniques to bind someone with rope/arrest techniques...knots and pain, and fun too! If you want to PM me, I know of some books available on the subject. I have the links too,

Cheers!:beer:
Jon Gillespie

Kamiyama
31st October 2002, 05:49
ok..

nawajutsu and hojojutsu are a little different.......

hojojutsu is the skill of tying cord or rope to arrest a foe and or to submit them... in a very skillful and artful manner..... this art takes many years to master.. and even more so to apply under pressure against a unwilling foe......the cord ranges 15 feet or so and is kept on the body for use...

nawajutsu is the skill of the cord and rope too but can have weights, hooks or hidden blades in the ends for self protection...it is sometimes called nawanage too....you use the cord to parry, block, trap, choke, throw or take down your foe... as well as strike him with the middle or the ends...it is also used to submit them.....the cord can be short..a foot or so to very long...20 feet or so....you can use it with your striking motion as if not having it in the hands at all..

these are the simple differences..

I enjoy training in both of these skills a great deal and take time out to do so... they can be trained to enhance the kusarifundo, handkerchief, scarf, belt, etc.. skills........

kamiyama, ralph severe

Kamiyama
31st October 2002, 06:12
yes, I have trained a great deal with sarong.. maybe 6 years...

I feel the sarong gives a outstanding base and format to build on that the nawajutsu skills do not.. but taking the sarong skills and appling them to the nawa I feel you can get different sets or a wonderful format to train from or better yet to teach from...

I do not believe the methods apply very much to our living conditions with the sarong wrapped on the wrist as in panatukan or as a dress being used for combat.. but never the less the skills are wonderful and beautiful.... and FULL of research..

I feel used as if it was a towel is great.. then the techniques are very useful....the tying and trapping are really refinded...

kamiyama, ralph severe

Kamiyama
4th November 2002, 21:30
Yes, The gang has made up their mind, I will be teaching rokushakubojutsu from the kukishinden ryuha... I will use a few kata to demo from and the meaning behind them.. this will be done in my own personal manner..meaning NOT boring...

I also have 80 techniques up on my web site now.. if anyone wuld like to view them to see what others do...

kamiyama, ralph severe

cc_ninja
25th November 2002, 04:01
Just curious, our group will be there, is anyone else coming from as far South as Corpus Christi.

BTW is anything else going on in Houston that weekend ?
Don't want to get stuck without a Hotel if I wait to the last minute.

Thanks,

Richard Elizondo
Wan Yun Loong Combat Lab
Corpus Christi, TX

m harper
2nd December 2002, 13:15
I don't know what else is going on that weekend, however
I have set up a discount at the Crowne Plaza on Hwy. 290. $59 for
Fri. & or Sat. night based on double occupancy. Mention 'Martial
Arts' for the discounted rate. See you there.

Hotel Contact Information:

Crowne Plaza Hotel
12801 Northwest Fwy, Houston (713)462-9977

Mark Harper
Bujinkan Houston Dojo

yuushi
2nd December 2002, 15:18
I live in Houston.
Near Rice in fact =O

Umihara, Yuushi

m harper
17th December 2002, 03:25
Joseph will be teaching from the 2003 theme so bring a training kunai, tessen, shoge. Some equipment will be for sale during the breaks. If you have something to sell contact me and I will set up a table for you.

Mark Harper
Bujinkan Houston Dojo

tetsuzan
20th December 2002, 20:47
I was told Glenn Morris was teaching hanbojutsu.
Is this true?

tetsuzan
gerald travis

Kamiyama
22nd December 2002, 05:22
HEY,
I was told by e-mail..Morris shihan was teaching some type of hanbojutsu too.

COOL !

kamiyama, ralph severe

John Lindsey
22nd December 2002, 14:33
Originally posted by yuushi
I live in Houston.
Near Rice in fact =O

Umihara, Yuushi

Please sign your posts with your real name, Mr. Gartner

m harper
25th December 2002, 17:17
I just got confirmation from Dr. Morris on what he will be teaching.

"I will be teaching basic hanbo, dim mak, and energy work. Glenn"

Mark Harper
Bujinkan Houston Dojo

BigJon
25th December 2002, 19:06

Mr. Severe, do these methods differ from the Bujinkan?

Thanks, Jon Gillespie

Kamiyama
25th December 2002, 23:48

Mr. Severe, do these methods differ from the Bujinkan?

Thanks, Jon Gillespie

kamiyama, to answer your question, yes and no. The rokushakubojutsu has been greatly enhanced. Same form but with it a great deal more meaning and effort has to go into your training the form to get it.

These will be the ones I focus on at the seminar.
Suso otoshi
Taki otoshi
Muko zume
Ke age

kamiyama, ralph severe

BigJon
26th December 2002, 02:37
Well, sounds like it's going to be a blast! Thanks again Mr. Severe!
Also, someone mentioned Dr. Morris will teach dim mak.-Is it possible to just teach a little dim mak at a seminar?...I am under the impression that it is far too deep of a topic.(-For the time available at training...)

Jon Gillepsie

Kamiyama
26th December 2002, 06:13
May I ad, Morris Shihan is a very deep human being. And I will go on record and say he is sexy. Not as sexy Thom Humphreys shidoshi-ho... but close.

Yes, I believe this seminar will have great energy and lots of fun for everyone...

kamiyama, ralph severe

m harper
26th December 2002, 14:20
"Also, someone mentioned Dr. Morris will teach dim mak.-Is it possible to just teach a little dim mak at a seminar?...I am under the impression that it is far too deep of a topic.(-For the time available at training...)

Jon Gillepsie"

Yes Jon, you are correct. However this is the third year he has been teaching at the OFB and each time he has shown us some of this information. If you want more from Dr. Morris, He is taking new students. Hoshinroshiryu includes many aspects, he shows different parts of his art at seminars.

Mark Harper
Bujinkan Houston Dojo

BigJon
27th December 2002, 02:40
Well I am always up to learning from any Bujinkan teacher. Mr. Morris is a very deep individual indeed. I have read "Path Notes.." and really enjoyed it. He has a very cool way of writing that is both intellectual, and down to earth. I am aware of his Chi Gung training, and find it very fascinating. -Especially in the mentioned book, describing the kundalini experience. -WOW!
I would love to study with him too, but between school, work, training with Phil Legare/Carry Irwin and not having enough money to travel to go to train with him...uh you get the idea. Besides I find that the 'regular' classes include enough info to keep me very busy.
I also have been involved in warriorship with Phil, it's really cool stuff.

Have fun at the seminar! Post pics if possible. I would love to see some group shots of the Shihan.

Jon Gillepsie

Kamiyama
27th December 2002, 09:07
Hey, look at www.artofcombat.com and the two last Houston seminar photos are there... ninjutsu photos... well there are over 600..you have to go through them to find the ones..

kamiyama, ralph severe

m harper
6th January 2003, 04:39
The dinner has been set for Feb. 8th at 7:00pm, after day one of the OFB3. The menu is Italian and the cost is $25.00. There will also be a cash bar. This dinner is to honor the people who helped make this last Tai Kai a success, but is open for all to attend. I must have your dinner payment by Feb 2nd to reserve a large enough room.
You can pm me for more details.

Mark Harper
Bujinkan Houston dojo

Kamiyama
9th January 2003, 05:43
Mark, do you know if these members will be at the seminar?
james garcia sensei, brian tritico sensei, david castleberry sensei, brent deMoville sensei, george russell sensei, raymond ruiz sensei, beto frausto sensei, and thom humpherys sensei.

I would like to know who's coming...

I'm been hearing a great deal about this seminar... it looks like it's going to be a big one.. I have 13 guys coming with me...

kamiyama, ralph severe

George Russell
11th January 2003, 01:21
Hey Ralph,
I think that we have 6 or 8 signed up so far. David and I will both be there. I too would like to hear who else is coming. Two seminars in two weeks, Bill Atkins and OFB3 the seminar season here in Texas has truly begun.

Kamiyama
11th January 2003, 01:24
Bill Atkins shihan ?

I didn't know he was still in the Bujinkan Dojo.

Is he giving a seminar too?

I can't see how someone can compete with this seminar in Houston.. with the talent coming to teach at one seminar...

I would like to see Bill Atkins shihan.

Maybe he should have made the trip to Houston to join us. The more the merry...

Maybe John Lindsey or some of the Genbukan might drop by too>

ok
kamiyama, ralph severe

George Russell
12th January 2003, 02:53
Ralph,
Bill's seminar is the weekend before the OFB, why don't you bring some of your guys? It would be refreshing to see you and your guys at more seminars.
As for Bill being in the Bujinkan, you did see him at Tai Kai didn't you big guy? :-)

Kamiyama
12th January 2003, 04:24
WOW,
Good to hear from you George sensei.....
I didn't know Bill Atkins shihan was going to do a seminar in Houston.
If I had news earlier I would have passed it on to others in the metro-plex. I don't get the Bujinkan news here in Texas, remember? I'm a bad boy.

As for him still in the Bujinkan Dojo?
I just heard he dropped out. No big deal. Glad he didn't.

Anyway I'm sorry I'll miss the seminar with him. I know he does really wonderful seminars. I've been to many of his in the past. He's a great guy. I have a limit amount of time to get away from the Dojo here and I rather come to the OFB3 one.. more fun and more training with great people with a differnt outlook.

see you soon.....

kamiyama, raph severe

BigJon
12th January 2003, 06:37
Please, please when it is over. Send me any photos.!!
I have seen the old ones, they are great...
Jon Gillespie

Kamiyama
12th January 2003, 23:54
I agree with you.
Everyone should visit with other trainers in the fields of martial arts. Rather it is firearms, rappelling, survival, ground combat skills, standing combat skills, first aid, swimming, etc. everyone should experience other trainers. The trouble is many well almost all Bujinkan trainers have the same old thing to offer. Few have true experience, being street fighting, survival skills, tac shooting, weaponry sparring etc.
I feel this is a real turn off to find the trainers at a seminar do not have this experience to pass on but rather just their opinions on what they have been shown. Wouldn't you agree?
Take for example, kenjutsu. How many do you know have cut with a katana? And if so do it on a onging basis? Very very few. So how do you teach cutting without the training in 'real' time cutting? I say these are the 'fakes' of the martial arts. Take for example, unarmed fighting, how many do you feel have sparred or had the experience street fighting.. not once or twice but many times to pass on the 'real' time timing, feeling, etc.? Very very very few.
These are the things I find at seminars with trainers. 'Fakes'.

I have a tape colection of about 2,000 tapes. The students are always welcome to see them. Many take the time and do. Others could care less. Also many many books.

My opinion would be, seek your instructor well... before getting trapped in hell...

I agree with you.

Bill Atkins shihan is a nice guy and puts on a good seminar....he should, he's been doing it for many years.

I rather go to the OFB3..

kamiyama, ralph severe

Kamiyama
13th January 2003, 03:10
However, the "reality" is we can not go with reckless abandonment and kill and maim with swords, shoot firearms, gouge eyes, rip ears or cause general mayhem.

kamiyama, I felt this was funny..the sanity.
NO NO NO We can't go around doing these things.
You must have had to much coffee today sexy Thom sensei.
I feel beyond your post you should in all conscience be honest with those you teach.
So with this, I highly suggest you ask questions about the nature of your teachers experience.
Experience doesn't have to be a death match or cutting off one of your hands.

kamiyama, ralph severe

m harper
22nd January 2003, 14:01
Ralph,

Can you bring some of your training equipment down to the seminar. I want to see the hanbo and your swords.

Mark Harper
Bujinkan Houston Dojo

m harper
23rd January 2003, 14:13
Papasan,

Can you bring me a hickory cane? I have seen George's and I love it.

Mark Harper
Bujinkan Houston Dojo

Kamiyama
23rd January 2003, 19:24
Yes Sir,
Bring some of those canes..with the hooked ends.

kamiyama, ralph severe

m harper
30th January 2003, 15:12
I need a head count of who is coming to the dinner on the 8th, so I can reserve a large enough room. Please let me know by Feb. 4th.

Thanks,
Mark Harper
Bujinkan Houston Dojo