PDA

View Full Version : SWAT - h2h?

Benjamin Peters
31st October 2002, 04:41
Percentagewise, how much of a SWAT member's training be made up of unarmed/hand-to-hand combat? Anyone have any knowledge on this?

Bustillo, A.
14th January 2003, 11:19
The training varies in the different departments.
In general, all officers undergo some form of self defence training in the academy. After that, not much.

Kevin73
14th January 2003, 18:50
I would have to agree with Bustillo on this one. It's mainly whatever training they had in the academy and what the dept requires to keep that cert.

Most of the SWAT guys I know and have talked with abou this have other training and sometimes get together with other members of the team to train, but it's not required or taught to everyone as part of the training.

Hissho
14th January 2003, 19:18
It all depends on the particular team's situation.

Some do no combatives training other than what they get in the academy and in-service DT training. Which is not always applicable in a situation where you are wearing full tac gear and carrying a long gun.

Others have SWAT specific training.

Thats what we do. Our guys get their quarterly patrol DT PLUS SWAT specfic HTH and force on force scenario training several times a year.

The latter is based on the fact that you are having a non-lethal confrontation in an environment which is replete with lethal potential, to a greater degree than in a patrol situation. Non-lethal may suddenly become lethal as well, or you may be involved in multiple engagement situations of varying degrees.

Training has to be team oriented, weapons based (as in working with and around your own, your teammates, and your adversary's weapons)and has to deal primarily with the type of encounters you most likely will have.

joe yang
17th January 2003, 15:16
H2H training is a big part of CERT training. A Corrections Emergency Response Team works in an environment where one would hope, firearms would not enter into the equation. Any use of force encounter in a prison that requires firearms is desperately out of hand.

I just spent yesterday recertifying on a very interesting piece of equiiipment, an ERB or Emergency Response Belt, a big, velcro strap for subduing violent subjects.

Most of our CERT members are black belts, wrestlers, Def Tac Instructors, even football players. We have a line backer from the University of Michigan who is awesome in the close environment of a cell.

Walker
18th January 2003, 01:08
Originally posted by joe yang
Most of our CERT members are black belts, wrestlers, Def Tac Instructors, even football players. We have a line backer from the University of Michigan who is awesome in the close environment of a cell.
Does that make him a “Bar Backer”? :D

joe yang
19th January 2003, 03:16
Doe;s that make him a bar backer? Ewwwwww!:rolleyes:

George Ledyard
31st January 2003, 08:36
Dave Sellers (Bellevue, WA PD) and I worked out a training block of DT for entry teams which consisted of takedowns, Level 2 Impact Techniques, and weapons retention all designed to be done carrying a firearm. It was taught to the Bellevue and Redmond Police SWAT teams and was well recieved. All agreed that there was a need for less than lethal technique within the high risk process of doing entries. There are probably other systems around but I don't believe that any are very widely taught and many SWAT teams have little or no training in these areas.