PDA

View Full Version : Jigen Ryu Kenjutsu?

PingAnTu
1st November 2002, 03:01
Hi everybody,

I am interested in finding out about this style. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've only heard that it is a Satsuma style from Southern Japan. It also has no defensive techniques?

Paul Adamson

Arman
6th November 2002, 18:12
I'm not sure what you mean by "defensive techniques," since most classical sword styles are designed to either take the immediate initiative, or re-take the initiative after an opponent has just started an attack("initiative" is a little abstract. "Kill" is more concrete, but not always completely accurate). There are, however, more and less aggressive styles of classical sword.

Let me just say this: if you ever see Jigen ryu, you will immediately understand, without any further knowledge or understanding of the art, that it is a very, very aggressive style.

Regards,

Arman Partamian
Daito ryu Study Group
Maryland

PingAnTu
6th November 2002, 20:59
Thank you Arman,

I'm not pretending to know about this style (or anything about kenjutsu), I'm just trying to find out about it. Do you know anything about it or do you know where I can find info about it? I would appreciate any help.

thanks,
Paul Adamson

Nathan Scott
6th November 2002, 21:34
You could try searching this forum and the koryu forum for previous threads on Jigen ryu. It has been discussed at length before.

Regards,

ghp
7th November 2002, 00:49
http://www.page-five.de/TENSHU/jigen1.jpg

http://www.page-five.de/TENSHU/jigen.jpg

Another technique I've seen in photos from Hiden magazine is for them to place a whole bunch of small branches horizontally across two X braces (placed about 5 ft apart); the striking surface is about 2 ft from the ground. They will take a long, hard run at the target, sword overhead, and crash down on the target with their bokuto -- channeling all their energy and weight into the strike. Gives the maxim Ichigeki Hissatsu [one strike, one kill] a clear definition.

You can purchase a video about Jigen ryu here http://budogu.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page45.html
vBCV7 Jigen Ryu Kenjtsu
$79.95
Jigen Ryu is one of the strongest and most aggressive of the classical kenjutsu ryuha. 23 minutes. Japanese language However, they do not display the cover, so I can't say for certain it is the same Jigen Ryu that Saigo Takamori and Nakamura Hanjiro were proficient in. In Japan, $79 is par for the course for a 30 minute video.

Here's another -- but might be the same ($78). Produced by Nippon Budokan; with Erukomu and BAB. http://www.buyubooks.com/product_details.cfm?id=10002
http://www.buyubooks.com/gifs/covers/10002.jpg

Enbu by Togo Shigenori, 12th Soke. The founder is Togo Fujihei Hizen Jui. This is the typical otome bujutsu of Satsumi Shimazu-han in Kyushu. He trained and mastered the secrets of Taisha Ryu and Tenshin Shogiken Ryu. Later, he created Jigen Ryu by integrating those two ryu. The characteristics are hatsu tachi (first tachi). In training, they repeated over and over cutting a log from left and right using dragonfly kamae (thrusting up a sword towards the right side of the head). It is said that if you master this after hard practice you can beat the opponent with the first strike. It can be used both for offense and defense, playing an active part at the end of the Edo era. People in other han were reported to have said, "Avoid the hatsu tachi against Jigen Ryu."

Charlie Kondek
7th November 2002, 14:12
Fascinating. I have to admit I did some searching here at e-budo and didn't find much.

hyaku
7th November 2002, 21:51
It was me that posted in the last thread about this.

The present Togo Sensei took over at an early age when his father suddenly died. Originaly they never used a dojo but moved from place to place to practice. They use the term "heihosho". There is now a permenant heihosho and adjoining Shiriokan (small museum)

There is refreshingly a very young membership at present.

My connection is they come and do demonstrations for us (Kageryu). And I go and do demos for them. The next big event is Kagoshoma Kobudo Taikai where you can see this and inumerable Koryu that are not listed nationaly. Why not? Why should they. We dont all feel the need to be listed The Kagoshima Koryu fill a small magazine.

The Taikai is this month but I dont think I will be there as I have to do the Nihon Kobudo Kyokai Hono Embu Taikai in Hiroshima for Niten Ichiryu. Its held at the Kagoshima Community hall if anybody wants to see it.

There is the Jigenryu as taught to the masses and that taught to the Shimazu clan and dignitaries.

The floor is clay and practice is done barefoot. Looks similar to a Sumo beya with a raised platform and rooms adjoining.

There is a choice of three weapons fashioned from branches. Normal size is as shown in the top photo. I have had the pleasure of being face face with the gentleman shown when I practiced there with them. His high ear splitting Kiai alone is enough to make you ¤¤¤¤ yourself.

There is a tree stump in middle front of the heihosho. This is used by all for a Kiri kaeshi type practice (NOT kendo kirikaeshi). Like Niten Ichiryu a very high hasso kamae is adopted. But cutting methods are entirely different as mentioned in dragonfly cuts. They practice running up to hit the target.

Like us they wear no uniform except for Embu

The present day 17th generation descendant of the Shimadzu Clan, Shimadzu Nobuhisa will tell you that his family crest of a circle and cross has a meaning. The circle denotes a head. The vertical stripe is the
"Ichigeki Hassatsu". The horizontal one is the mark of your own weapon in your head as you failed to stop the blow.

Requirements of practice: I suggest some disposable napkins.

Hope this helps. Have not read the book so I am not quoting.

Hyakutake Colin

http://www.bunbun.ne.jp/~sword/

PingAnTu
8th November 2002, 02:19
Great info gentlemen. Thanks for the help. $80 for a 20 some minute tape is a little steep :eek:

Oh well, I bet it's interesting.

Paul Adamson