View Full Version : Contact

janjensen
2nd November 2002, 07:35
Hi all,

I would like to know what kind of contact you use in your Dojo´s,
when you counter attack uke, is it:
1. None contact at all ?
2. Semi Contact ?
3. Hard contact (As hard as possible without injuring Uke) ?

Is there a difference on the contact used in Genbukan, Bujinkan and Jinenkan ?
,Or is it up to you instruktor ?
What do you personally belive is the right kind of contact degree ?
I hope you can help me with this.....

Sincerly,

Jan Jensen

tenchijin2
2nd November 2002, 18:01
In my dojo, 2 and 3 are used. I've so far had no injuries in class other than some minor strains and bruises (and the occasional bloody lip).

Michael Price
3rd November 2002, 10:26
Of the 3 I consider the first to be the most dangerous. If you train yourself to make no contact then when you are forced to defend yourself and make no contact you can get yourself killed. somewhere between 2 and 3 is always good depending on who you happen to be training with (eg: white belt as opposed to 2nd dan black belt)and under what conditions (surface etc)

- Michael Price

kirigirisu
3rd November 2002, 11:09
So-called "No-Contact" has its uses in the right circumstances.

I would think that beginners should start out with the "no-contact" training in order to stress movement and muscle memory over "hitting the opponent." I've seen too many examples of beginners and intermediate students in all sorts of arts put so much emphasis on hard contact too early on that their technique suffers for it and they never really "get" what they were supposed to learn.

Getting the correct movement down before applying "contact" can help avoid having to get rid of bad habits later on.

Once you know what you're doing, party on.