PDA

View Full Version : Kanji for Choki Motobu

TFunakoshi
2nd November 2002, 09:54
Hello.

I'm looking for the kanji for "CHOKI MOTOBU". Anyone has an idea where I can find these kanji?

Paul Taylor
2nd November 2002, 23:23
Do a search for JWPce, WinJDIC, and EDICT. You can get the kanji with just a little cross referencing. As long as you know the meanings.

Do not forget to get the index for the expained EDICT as well.

11th November 2002, 09:44
These are the kanji for his name:

本部朝基

Motobu= 本部
Choki= 朝基

You may have to go to the encoding on your tool bar and switch to Japanese Auto Select to see them.

TFunakoshi
15th November 2002, 21:31
Hello Paul. Thank you.

Hello Robert. How can I do this? I've Win98 (japanese fonts are installed). I just see "朝基"

16th November 2002, 02:53
If you go to the tool bar (not the Tools section just the bar) at the top you might see an Icon that says "abc". That is the Encoding button. If you dont see it right click on the bar and a window will come down.....go to "customize....".
Under the "customize..." section you can add or subtract things from the tool bar. Encoding is one of them.
When you get the Encoding button on there you will see about 30 different languages to select from. There are about 3 or 4 Japanese versions. Pick Japanese (Auto Select).

That should work, your screen will re-load and you should be able to see kanji where you only saw @#$%^&* before.

TFunakoshi
16th November 2002, 07:07
It works ... thanks a lot!!!

TFunakoshi
16th November 2002, 08:07
Hello.

Some historians say that the Motobu-Family have had the chance to use the "CHO"-character in their names. I searched for the meanings but couldn't find a useful one. Anyone has an idea what the meaning could be and why the Motobu-Family use this character?!

17th November 2002, 09:33
Originally posted by TFunakoshi
Some historians say that the Motobu-Family have had the chance to use the "CHO"-character in their names.

Just out of curiosity which historians and why is his name of such importance to you?

Originally posted by TFunakoshi
I searched for the meanings but couldn't find a useful one. Anyone has an idea what the meaning could be and why the Motobu-Family use this character?!

The kanji "Cho", as used in the Motobu family names, by itself means "morning".
When you add the kanji for king in front of it you get the word "Dynasty".
Since the Motobu family was rather prominent and very high up in the ruling class it may have something to do with choosing the names of males in the family. The name "Choki" is Cho = morning & ki = group. Since this is not a "normal" Japanese grouping of kanji it probably only had significant meaning to his father, as many names in Japanese sometimes do. Japanese will sometimes name their child because of some poetic notion or feeling when the child is born.
For example the late Admiral Yamamoto Isoroku's father named him 56 (Isoroku) because his father was 56 when he was born.
The story I heard was his father had already had more than a few kids and was playing Shogi (Japanese Chess) at the time of Isoroku's birth and didn't want to be disturbed..........so just picked the first thing that popped into his head.

TFunakoshi
17th November 2002, 11:09
Hello Robert.

Many thanks.

The name is important for me because I'm about to write an article about Motobu Choki and his family, so I need all information I can find.

I've read it (CHO-character) in this article ... http://www.fightingarts.com/content02/motobu1.shtml ... and in the limited edition "Okinawan Kempo" (Okinawa Kenpo Toudijutsu Kumite-hen
by Choki Motobu) where Ken Tallack wrote the foreword about the Motobu-Family.

18th November 2002, 01:35
I would be interested in reading it when it's finished.

TFunakoshi
23rd November 2002, 05:37
Hello Robert.

The problem is: I am German so the article will appear in German, not in English. If you are able to read German, I'll give you the address of the article, no problem.