5th November 2002, 08:58
hi there i noticed a description of this chinese boxing in a french
website (webmartial.com)
and they say it was created by Wang Xian Zhai in 1925 and that it
belong to the shaoling tradition.
any thought?

shugyosha
10th November 2002, 07:44
appologies for this missinformation, i discovered that this website made a mistake, they wanted to say Yiquan, a martial are coming from
xing yi quan, without connection with shaoling.....

:(

slait
11th November 2002, 10:55
Hi!

I found the following statement from http://www.yiquan.com.pl/history.html.

"Wang (Xian Zhai) went to the South to search after greatest masters of martial arts. First he went to Shaolin Temple, where he learned xinyiba (a system related to xingyiquan) from monk Henglin (also known as Changlin or Xianglin - later Doshin So, founder of Shorinji Kempo, learned from the same monk)."

Any thoughts about this?

Santeri Laitinen
Jyväskylä Shorinji Kempo Branch
Finland

Robert Liljeblad
11th November 2002, 15:18
Hi,

If I understand, according to the website:

Xinyiba is the same as North Shaolin Giwamon Ken ???

And

Henglin, Changlin or Xianglin should be Wen Taizong (So Doshins teacher)???

Is this correct?

Regards,

Kimpatsu
13th November 2002, 00:56
Could be, Robert. One of the problems that makes keeping track so difficult (or reading the Kyohan for that matter!) is that Buddhist monks often take another, Buddhist, name when they enter a monkish order, and that name may change as they rise through the ranks. That way, John Smith may become Bodi Mitra, who will later be called Harshaprabha, who will later called...
You have to be a genealogist to keep it all straight... ;)

Casero
17th February 2003, 16:55
Hi there
I have been doing research on Shorinji Kempo roots for some years, and I can say the following:
Yihe Quan is a boxing style and also a secret society.
As far as I know, Yihe Quan society was founded by somebody called Chu Hungtang from Shandong. Another theory is that Yihe Quan sect was created by Zhou Hongyi from Zhili at the end of the Ming dynasty. I don´t know whether Chu Hungtang and Zhou Hongyi are the same individual with different transcription of his name or they are two diferent individuals.
Apparently, at the beginning Chu Hungtang stressed only on Kung Fu practice, without teaching any philosophy, but years later, after reading some books about Bagua sect and White Lotus society, he turned Yihe Quan into a philosophical society, which later took part in the Boxer Uprising.
As a boxing style, and according to many Kung Fu masters, Yihe Quan is the same as Meihua Quan (Plum Blossom Boxing). Apparently Chu Hungtang did Meihua Quan and taught his style to Yihe Quan members. Later, during Boxers Rebellion, masters of others styles joined Yihe Quan society.
As regards Wan Xian Zhai, he is the founder of Yi Quan, a different style from Yihe Quan, which bears no relation to this one. Yi Quan is based on Xingyi Quan, another famous Kung Fu style.
In relation to Wen Taizong´s name, I must say that he was also known as Ziming, but I have never heard other names of him, though I have read other transcriptions from chinese as Wen Lao Cho or Wen Lanshi.
Regards.
Rogelio Casero

shugyosha
18th February 2003, 15:04
please enlight me,
i remember reading a comic book (quite funy pictures) in japanese about so doshin life, and at once, the master taught him a technic that he called GOKA KEN, the prononciation is corect as there were some hiragana printed for that matter but the kanji of GO is the same that can be use for five, and for KA i recognise the kanji of hana (HUA) flower

of in fact shorinji kempo would be based on MEI HUA QUAN?

Kimpatsu
18th February 2003, 22:45
Gassho.
Gokaken is a family of techniques within Shorinji Kempo, Jimi, not a single technique. You're right that the Chinese is Mei Hua Chu'an.
Kesshu.

Casero
20th February 2003, 16:35
I don´t think Shorinji Kempo is based on Meihua Quan, although Meihua Quan might have some influence over Shorinji Kempo.
On the other hand, GOKAKEN is “Wuhua Quan” in chinese (Five Flowers Boxing). Apparently these techniques were taught to So Doshin by Wen Taizong as well as Yihe Quan. I have been looking for “flowers styles” and, apart from Meihua Quan, I have only found three references:
WUHUA PAO QUAN (Five Flowers Cannon Boxing): This style has five forms, internal and external practice, and it is characterized by flexibility controlling strength. It has individual forms and two men drills (tuishou).
WUHUA PAO: In Xingyi Quan style exists a form called Wuhua Pao. It is a two men form.
HUA QUAN (Flower Style): This is a style attributed to Gan Fengchi during the early Qing dynasty. This style has 120 forms of sanshou (two men), 72 holding techniques, 36 leg techniques, 24 stances and 88 falling techniques.
Actually, I don´t know if Shorinji Kempo has to do with some of these styles; in any case I don´t think Shorinji Kempo has much influence from only one chinese style, but rather from several chinese and japanese styles, and especially from So Doshin´s brilliant mind.

Rogelio Casero