PDA

View Full Version : kukishin ryu compared to shindo muso ryu

O'Neill
8th November 2002, 18:52
I was wondering about the technical differences between the jojutsu of these two ryu. Can anyone provide reliable info (especially on the kukishin ryu side), I know that the SMR are well represented here. Thanks.

Erin O'Neill

poryu
11th November 2002, 12:17
Hi All

I have seen only a little of the SMR Jo, I have a kihon gata video at home somewhere.

The Kuki Jo that is taught in the Bujinkan has 9 kata in total. I have the history at home which if no one else posts I will be happy to do later.

The Jo we do seems to open the opponent up for the final strike. For instance one kata involves hitting at the Do 6 times horizontally making him complacent. the 7th stike he will then automatically think will come to the same place so he starts to block there, unfortunately for him it comes down vertically to the head (I think this is Kasumi Gake???).

I was told that the Jo is intended to be used against a swords man with a Tachi.

I did Aikijo when I studied Aikido for a few years, that is completely different to the Kukishinden Jojutsu.

As for Genbukan Jo I havent a clue, leave that to someone else

O'Neill
18th November 2002, 22:14
I was told that the kukishin ryu stresses locking, choking, and throwing with the jo much more than modern jodo, is this a fact?
Does shindo muso ryu stress striking with the jo?

Erin O'Neill

John Lindsey
18th November 2002, 22:22
Erin,

There is so little traditional jo in Kukishin-ryu that it is hard to say that it stress anything! :) There is a fine line between Jo and hanbo, and I think some people freely cross the line both ways at times with their techniques. But, that is not a bad thing to do!

poryu
19th November 2002, 00:38
Hi all

I got a few messages asking for the little bit of Kuki history stuff I have relating to Jojutsu so heres all I have.

he 11th Soke Kukishinden Ryu, Ohkuni Yukihisa is assumed to be the originator of Kukishinden Ryu Jojutsu. He achieved this by using his skills in Kukishin Ryu Bojutsu, Hanbojutsu and Kenpo. Yukihisa lived during the early part of the 17th century

From the Rokushakubojutsu the Jo and Hanbo were created. From the Hanbo, Kenjutsu and Juttejutsu were created. Sojutsu and Naginatajutsu were also created from the Rokushakubo. Traditionally the Jo is not an offensive weapon. The kata are a combination of Bo and Kenjutsu kata.

Alex Meehan
24th November 2002, 10:38
There is a short, but interesting article on Kukishinden Ryu Jojutsu by Bujinkan Shihan Peter King, if anyone is interested. He describes the first kata, so that you can get a feel for it.

http://www.bujinkan-belgium.com/library/uraomote/texts/1997/index_1997.html

Peter has also done some training in Shindo Muso Ryu Jo, so he can compare them a little bit.

Alex Meehan

Just some guy
24th November 2002, 12:16
Having been instructed not too long ago in the Jojutsu of the Kukishin Ryu I thought I'd chime in. As I was taught, the Jo of Kukishin Ryu is basically a compination of the strikes from both Sanjaku and Rokushaku Bo. I was taken through the whole range of kata and not one of them contained locks however. Rather the Kata stress putting pressure on the enmy from the get go. I don't have my nots with me at the moment but only one maybe two of the kata come to my mind as being in repsonce to the Enemies attack and the rest of them had the Jo fighted attacking the Swordsman (BTY all of the Kata are against Sword). The kata contain a lot of fast strikes, stiking with the same side of the staff in repetition, and spinning the Jo one handed to attack the open side of the enemy quickly. All in all the Kata were very complex as they assume that one knows and is good at both Rokushaku Bo and Sanjaku Bo. They were however very interesting too. (It looked really cool too the people watching too :D ).