PDA

View Full Version : research question for everyone

matt little
16th November 2002, 04:53
I am currently in the process of writing a research paper which will most likely grow into my master's thesis, and I desperatly need some help locating the statistical correlation I need. my hypothesis is this: the higher quantity and quality of use-of-force (DT, firearms, etc) training-both in-service and initial-given by a LEA, the lower the incidence of excessive force complaints and arrest related injuries (officer and offender). What I need is any statistics or other research which can address this correlation. I am convinced that there is one, and I am sure most of you would agree with me. Now, I just need some help proving it. If anyone has any information or ideas, please either post them here, or e-mail them to me. Thanks to all of you in advance.

Joseph Svinth
17th November 2002, 02:32
You might look back a century. Before 1900, police received very little, if any, training. Instead, they were simply handed a club or a gun, and told to take care of business. The professionalization began in big cities during the late 19th century, and by the 1930s, it was starting to percolate into the state and small city PDs. During the 1960s and 1970s, states also began academies.

Meanwhile, check out http://ejmas.com/jnc/jncannounce.htm . Over time, I've posted various URLS, and you might find something there. If you come across anything particularly useful, let me know and I'll add it.