PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with a katana

Paulo K. Ogino
17th November 2002, 17:16
I've read the "Iaito on a Plane" post, but I'd like to have more advice. I'll be traveling from USA to Japan and then to SouthAmerica. I'm planning to travel with my katana, but I'm not sure about any troubles I may have. Any advice on packing, legal stuff, etc. will be highly appreciated. Thanks!!!! :D

hyaku
17th November 2002, 22:19
Originally posted by Paulo K. Ogino
I've read the "Iaito on a Plane" post, but I'd like to have more advice. I'll be traveling from USA to Japan and then to South America. I'm planning to travel with my katana, but I'm not sure about any troubles I may have. Any advice on packing, legal stuff, etc. will be highly appreciated. Thanks!!!! :D
I could perhaps help but you say "Katana".

Is this a made in Japan Shinken, Iaito? It makes a great deal of difference. If its a live blade that was not made and registered in Japan you will perhaps have problems.

Hyakutake Colin

Paulo K. Ogino
18th November 2002, 03:32
Well It's a custom katana made by a USA swordsmith, so I isn't registered in japan. I mostly use it for Iaido and some tameshigiri.

hyaku
18th November 2002, 12:20
They will take it off you I guess.

The Japanese Ju To Ho (Gun Sword laws) will allow Japanese blades in that were originally registered here.

I know that if you were coming to a base here things would be different

Can anyone else join in the thread and tell us otherwise please?

Most of my experiences good and bad have been with taking Nihonto out and bringing them back in.

Hyakutake Colin

FastEd
18th November 2002, 12:42
To add to Colin's statment:

My friend just went back to Japan recently and asked the customs guy in Japan. Non-steel iaito should be okay, steel iaito are not allowed (they are considered swords).

Ed

Ka1yama
18th November 2002, 15:15
I've heard that you need to have a license either sewn into your sword bag, or tagged to the sword to travel with it. Is this true?
Neil Stewart

Paulo K. Ogino
18th November 2002, 19:22
Thank you guys... seems to be that I'll have to go with my Iaito instead... :cry:

Qasim
19th November 2002, 05:52
I'm new to this, what is the difference between an Iaito and a Katana? Additionally, does it mean that someone would be prohibited from traveling to Japan with a Hanwei katana?

red_fists
19th November 2002, 05:56
Originally posted by Ka1yama
I've heard that you need to have a license either sewn into your sword bag, or tagged to the sword to travel with it. Is this true?
Neil Stewart

Yes, that is correct for shinken.

Cheers.

hyaku
19th November 2002, 09:34
Originally posted by Ka1yama

Neil Stewart

Licences are sealed in plastic. It says on it that the licence should accompany the sword where ever you go. I always carry a copy with me, If you leave the country they take it off you. When you return you get it back.

Now thats where the problem is! The laws are flexible and can be translated lightly or severely. The licence comes from the Bunka- Cho (Cultural office) Some years ago I was able to hand in my licences at the prefectural office and leave the country with documents. On returning take the documents and get my licences back.

The last time I did this the new head of the Bunkacho had decided to do it more severely. I was told that a friend would have to go to the head cultural office in Tokyo, pick up my licences and meet me at the airport.

The up side is the Bunka Cho is the Bunka Cho. Customs is customs.

I have seen Japanese parcel up a shinken with a four or five iaito and tie them up very well with tape string etc. They say, "These are all iaito but I can unpack them if you want me to". Security looks at the other 100 standing behind you in line and lets you go. Worst scenario is they seize it and you pick it up on your way back.

I have actualy walked through cutoms without them checking. A weapon measuring over 6 feet slung on my shoulder in a ski bag and this guy is far more interested in my wifes undies. They actualy called me back over the speakers as I was leaving the airport. They were waiting for me but got the flights confused.

Hyakutake Colin

http://www.sword.shorturl.com/

Qasim
6th December 2002, 04:10
Originally posted by Qasim
I'm new to this, what is the difference between an Iaito and a Katana? Additionally, does it mean that someone would be prohibited from traveling to Japan with a Hanwei katana?

Will someone answer this question that I posted last month?

renfield_kuroda
6th December 2002, 06:55
An iaito is not a "real" sword -- the blade isn't sharpened steell -- and it's solely for practicing, thus generally not classified as a weapon.
A shinken, katana, or honmi refers to a "real" sword: sharpened steel that, if made in Japan by a licensed smith and registered properly, is legal to have as long as procedure is followed. Anything else (i.e. a Hanwei blade) is a weapon and illegal to have in Japan.

That being said, I've heard James Williams and others who've said they've taken their non-Japanese registered real swords in and out of Japan on several occasions with minimal hassle, but I don't know the specifics of how that's accomplished. Technically, there shouldn't be any legal way to bring a weapon into Japan, be it rifle or hanwei sword, but as in all things, there's always exceptions.

Regards,
renfield kuroda

kabutoki
6th December 2002, 13:05
hi !
i only know this for germany but there might be similar laws in other countries as well.
when i left germany for japan i took my old iaito with me. they checked it at the airport in germany and again in london where i had to change plains. there was no problem taking it into japan. when i left i shipped it back to germany because of my huge amount of luggage (i.e. my new iaito). back in germany i had to pay 100 € to the customs because i was not able to prove that it was already mine before i went to japan and that i did not buy it there.
the only way to get around this is to have some documents from the german customs that you showed up there before the trip with the iaito. that will prove you didn´t buy it there.
i´m not sure whether customs in germany or the us would realize the difference between an american and a japanese katana/iaito...
another thing is to always carry at least a copy of your bill from the sword purchase with you. might be difficult to say :"yes officer i come from japan, the land of samurai swords buti did not buy this one there..."

yours
karsten

Qasim
6th December 2002, 17:53
Originally posted by renfield_kuroda
An iaito is not a "real" sword -- the blade isn't sharpened steell -- and it's solely for practicing, thus generally not classified as a weapon.
A shinken, katana, or honmi refers to a "real" sword: sharpened steel that, if made in Japan by a licensed smith and registered properly, is legal to have as long as procedure is followed. Anything else (i.e. a Hanwei blade) is a weapon and illegal to have in Japan.

That being said, I've heard James Williams and others who've said they've taken their non-Japanese registered real swords in and out of Japan on several occasions with minimal hassle, but I don't know the specifics of how that's accomplished. Technically, there shouldn't be any legal way to bring a weapon into Japan, be it rifle or hanwei sword, but as in all things, there's always exceptions.

Regards,
renfield kuroda

Thanks for answering my question, everyone else at that time just totally ignored it when originally posted. How much does an iaito run general and how sturdy are they? At some point down the road would like to purchase one and don't want it to fly apart.

hyaku
6th December 2002, 22:56

Thanks for answering my question, everyone else at that time just totally ignored it when originally posted. How much does an iaito run general and how sturdy are they? At some point down the road would like to purchase one and don't want it to fly apart.
To give you a quick answer. Why don't you write the word Iaito in Google.com. There are many reputable companies out there.

I think most of us get our advice on iaito from our Iai teachers.
Perhaps finding a teacher is the first step rather that just going out and buying something.

Hyakutake Colin

Êhttp://www.sword.shorturl.com

Qasim
7th December 2002, 15:35
Originally posted by hyaku

To give you a quick answer. Why don't you write the word Iaito in Google.com. There are many reputable companies out there.

I think most of us get our advice on iaito from our Iai teachers.
Perhaps finding a teacher is the first step rather that just going out and buying something.

Hyakutake Colin

Êhttp://www.sword.shorturl.com

Are you saying I shouldn't ask questions here? :confused:

samuel-t
8th December 2002, 08:57
How much does an iaito run general and how sturdy are they? At some point down the road would like to purchase one and don't want it to fly apart.

Oh, the first one's a hard one to give a general answer to, but what the heck:

At www.tozando.com you can find iaito in the price range $150 to $600. At www.swordstore.com you can find iaito in the price range $350 to $1500. At http://sdksupplies.netfirms.com/cat_iaito.htm you can find iaito in the price range $320 to $1030.

I myself own an iaito from Swordstore, and it's really nicely balanced, with beautiful fittings. I've tried a couple of other Swordstore iaito, as well as a couple of Tozando iaito and I must say that I very much prefer those from Swordstore, and would recommend these to anyone looking for a good iaito.

A well-made iaito is sturdy. It doesn't fly apart. BUT: while practicing you may wear out the mekugi (the little bamboo plug that holds together the blade and the tsuka -- the handle), and then you will have to replace it (or ask your sensei to help you replace it, if you feel uncomfortable doing so yourself). You shouldn't ever cut anything but air with an iaito, though, because they aren't made for cutting anything else, and if you do they might break (or, more probable, will break).

Hope that answers your questions at least to some extent. :)

/Samuel