PDA

View Full Version : Glove Shopping???

Hugh Crissman
23rd August 2000, 05:07
I am in the market for a new pair of gloves for training. I am looking for "grappling" type gloves. Here are the requirements: padded knckles, fingers and palm that will allow grabbing, throwing, and wrist locks. I have looked all over the net and have found nothing that looks like a quality product that will last. The closest thing that I have see is a glove from century called the wrap glove. I would like a little more padding though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hugh Crissman

Kennesten
23rd August 2000, 19:20
I have seen Jeet Kune Do gloves advertised that might be something similar to what you're looking for. They may have been in a Golden Tiger catalog -- I'm sorry I can't remember the specifics.
Good luck!

Nicholas Lauridsen

Mark Brecht
23rd August 2000, 19:53
Nick beat me on this one. I agree this style of glove is great for everything puchning, grappling etc...

One recommondation, is that when you receive them, wrap extra tape around the finger parts, as they tend to tear off quickly. I have also see some people going, and getting the laces replaced for velcor strap (very practical and quick). I highly recommend them.

Tetsutaka
24th August 2000, 04:07
Hell Mark - you practically have a new glove after that...

George Ledyard
26th August 2000, 17:27
Originally posted by Hugh Crissman
I am in the market for a new pair of gloves for training. I am looking for "grappling" type gloves. Here are the requirements: padded knckles, fingers and palm that will allow grabbing, throwing, and wrist locks. I have looked all over the net and have found nothing that looks like a quality product that will last. The closest thing that I have see is a glove from century called the wrap glove. I would like a little more padding though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hugh Crissman

The glove you see from Century is the Chuck Norris wrist wrap glove. It is designed as a bag glove and as such has a finger support built in on the palm. We remove that carefully with a sharp blade and it makes a very fine glove for what you are talking about.

The Bruce Lee or Kempo glove you refer to is ok but is really too big for your partner to do wrist locks on you. It is open palm but doesn't allow for much finesse in grabbing. The wrist wrap glove does allow wrist locks and traps without being too cumbersome. It would be my opinion that a heavier glove wouldn't be as useful. It would be about impossible to do various chokes and head locks with the bulkier gloves for instance.

If you wanted more padding so you could hit each other harder I would say to use the lighter glove and get some good praotective head gear. One last note, the wrist wrap gloves makes a very nice glove for stick training as well. The couple times my partner wapped my knuckes and I heard a nice padded thump I was glad I had them.

Also, I have had two pairs of the Century Gloves for a couple years now and use them all the time in my police defensive tactics classes. They are top quality (as opposed to many items out there). I had to stitch up some velcro at one point but the finger stitching, which is the weakest spot on fingerless gloves, has held up very well on both pairs. My students have had excellent results as well. The kempo gloves I had on the other hand all fell apart with much less useage (although I believe that there are a couple manufacturers of the same glove and one might be better quality than another).

There is another brand that produces the same glove under another name but I can not remember the exect brand, sorry. It is about $5.00 cheaper which probably isn't that crucial over the long run. Anyway, I don't think there ius a better product out there from a quality standpoint.

[Edited by George Ledyard on 08-26-2000 at 11:35 AM]