PDA

View Full Version : Target Practice

Tamdhu
19th November 2002, 17:33
I'm looking for advice on building a safe (relatively) indoor (basement) target for bo/senban shuriken and possible knife-throwing.

Any direction/guide-lines for a simple way to get this started will be hugely appreciated!

John Lindsey
19th November 2002, 17:38
Invest in a normal sized tatami mat. They make great targets.

Budoka 34
19th November 2002, 18:27
I used an old tarp as a safe back stop and lite wood for the targets.
Now I have a great old gymnasitcs mat for the back stop and different size boards(verticle 2x4'for shuriken and 2ft by 4ft pine board for knives)targets.

Lots O-fun!:D

:smilejapa

sean_stonehart
19th November 2002, 20:24
Originally posted by Shojin
...But isn't there something about them generating heat from the inside of the bail and catching fire? I could swear I heard that before...

I've heard that before, but they have to be a little damp deep inside the bail to start the reaction. I grew up on a farm & also heard of it, but I was a little kid back then so I honestly don't remember the details.

Kunoichi Amy
19th November 2002, 22:06
I'd suggest a large board of styrofoam...the shuriken stick in it and can easily be removed.

Tamdhu
19th November 2002, 22:28
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking of going with Kunoichi's styrofoam backed by some cardboard and duct tape from Phil.

A separate experiment will involve various bits of wood.

As for Rick Ray's 'indoor spontaneously-combusting compost heap' approach, well...thanks a LOT pal!

; )