PDA

View Full Version : Is it true all Bujinkan memebers should to train under a 10th Dan or above?

Raider
23rd November 2002, 04:46
Is it true that SOKE would prefer all Bujinkan memebers to train under 10th Dans around the world? So 5th Dans and above should still take guidance from a Shihan that is at least a 10th Dan?

Just wondering,
Jim Eastgate

pete lohstroh
23rd November 2002, 17:36
We are all students of Hatsumi Sensei. Shidoshis (5th dan) through shihan are qualified to transmit Sensei's budo but are still students as well. The relationship is quite simple. If you live in an area with Shihan, train with him/her/them and know that Sensei probably thinks highly of this person.

kimq
23rd November 2002, 23:35
It is my understanding that one should seek Soke's guidance first. If Soke is not an option, it would stand to reason that someone would find the nearest source of training to Soke.

This should not preclude training with others in the Bujinkan. It is my understanding that rank does not accurately reflect quality.

Michael Price
24th November 2002, 07:08
Sometimes it is not possible to train under someone of that rank, due to lack of them in the area. If an instructor is recognised by a certified school which is recognised by soke then you can be almost sure that they know what they're talking about. You can never be too sure though, try to shop around a little.

Cheers
- Michael Price

Don Roley
24th November 2002, 08:32
My understanding is that Hatsumi has said that we should all train under a teacher who trains with him about once a year or more. If you train with someone who trains with Hatsumi on a regular basis, that is enough.

People who seem to think they have nothing more to learn from Hatsumi and do not show up for training with him when possible should not really be considered one of his students anymore.

poryu
24th November 2002, 09:23
Janty

what makes you think that ALL shidoshi train under a Shihan in Japan.

i think that is seriously incorrect. I dont know a single shihan personally and I deffinately dont train under one of them

As far as I am am aware on those that live in Japan really train under a shihan in japan.

Rolling Elbow
24th November 2002, 18:30
Train who you want to train with! What a novel idea..i'd rather learn from someone who can actually teach me to fight then a 10th dan who has tea with Hatsumi on occasion.

Your instincts will tell you who you should take your guidance from, what hierarchies you should respect, and what you can ignore. This is not to say that you should disrespect anyone or their abilities, just that you should reserve your time for those who you KNOW can teach you something. If you teacher is current on what Hatsumi is teaching then they are certainly no worse than a shidoshi with an overflated rank and ego.

DWeidman
25th November 2002, 15:33
Originally posted by poryu
Janty

what makes you think that ALL shidoshi train under a Shihan in Japan.

i think that is seriously incorrect. I dont know a single shihan personally and I deffinately dont train under one of them

As far as I am am aware on those that live in Japan really train under a shihan in japan.

Paul -

Does this mean that:

A. You don't go to Japan

or

B. You go to Japan but think so highly of yourself that only Soke can teach you.

Waiting - ever so patiently... (like the ninja I am... LOL)

-Daniel Weidman
San Diego Bujinkan TenChiJin Dojo
www.sandiegobujinkan.com

PS. - if it is neither of them - then perhaps you fall into the last category Janty provided.

poryu
25th November 2002, 16:01
Hi

I am loking at my post and I cant see that i posted that I think I am good enough that I only train under soke.

I stated that ALL shidoshi dont train directly under a shihan. Now before I answer you can you prove me wrong and prove that Janty is correct that all shidoshi DO train under a Shihan.

I havent been to Japan yet which is the only serious gaol I have in my training att hemement, and before you or anyone jumps down my thorat fornot going heres is the reason. I am a single parent, I get no support for my daughters mother, i work and I train. i put allmy spare cash to my daughter hwo comes first - long before Budo.

As and when the cash come available I will visit Japan but it is not on my list of priorities, somethings are inport in life.

Now before I upset anyone, am I reading your post correctly and your trying to have a dig at me or am I wrong. Because if you are try harder than that it didnt work, if I am worng sorry formiss reading that little bit about thinking so highly of myself

DWeidman
25th November 2002, 16:53
Originally posted by poryu
Hi

I am loking at my post and I cant see that i posted that I think I am good enough that I only train under soke.

Now before I upset anyone, am I reading your post correctly and your trying to have a dig at me or am I wrong. Because if you are try harder than that it didnt work, if I am worng sorry formiss reading that little bit about thinking so highly of myself

Actually Paul - you answered my question. Your answer was A.

The dig, for what it is worth, is for those who travel to Japan and only show up at Hatsumi's training.

I wasn't sure if you fit in that category or not...

-Daniel Weidman
San Diego Bujinkan TenChiJin Dojo
www.sandiegobujinkan.com

poryu
25th November 2002, 16:57
Hi

thanks for that.

I have had lots of chances to go but something always comes up and wrecks it. i train as much as possible with those that go, and attend UK Taikai.

hatsumi would hate me if he kno=ew my daughter was suffering so i could to Japan. I heard him say once family comes first Budo second, that was in converstion to someone at 1995 UK Taikai

Paul

Tamdhu
25th November 2002, 17:05
Is it true that SOKE would prefer all Bujinkan memebers to train under 10th Dans around the world? So 5th Dans and above should still take guidance from a Shihan that is at least a 10th Dan?

This may well have been mentioned somewhere by Hatsumi Soke, but I don't believe it is posted anywhere as an express wish of his, but I could be wrong.

In any case, it certainly stands to reason that he may well prefer that foreign students train beneath, if not directly with, a tenth-dan in their home country.

I'm warping this, of course, to imply a tenth-dan in your own country, rather than one of the Japanese shihan. I personally think that 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th dans who train outside of Japan but do not take any sort of guidance from a tenth dan or above in their own country are to be regarded with some amount of caution.

I realize this is probably a fairly provocative sentiment to hold and am open to observations from others, but it seems to me that there are a LOT of fifth dans in the world today, many of whom are in a wee bit of a rush to fill up a store-front with tatami and hang their placard, when the reality of their experience is maybe six or seven years of training.

"Yeah! But I trained in JAPAN for x amount of years! Who are you to say anything about anything?! THEY are my teachers and NO ONE ELSE!"

What can I say? I salute you. Good luck, teacher and student alike.

Neil Richardson
27th November 2002, 13:46
Originally posted by Tamdhu

but it seems to me that there are a LOT of fifth dans in the world today, many of whom are in a wee bit of a rush to fill up a store-front with tatami and hang their placard, when the reality of their experience is maybe six or seven years of training.

Hahahahahahaha...

Only six or seven years! hahaha... oh, stop the tears... hahahaha...

Couldn't resist,
Neil.