PDA

View Full Version : So many Eishin Ryu.......so little time!

Budoka 34
24th November 2002, 23:21
Can anyone share any info on Muso Chokuden Eishin Ryu?

History, lineage, etc?

I found a school about two hours away and am seriously considering giving it a try.
I have very limited experience with Iai, but the JSA have always been an area of serious interest.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. the school link is www.aikidocentercharlotte.com/iaido/index.html

Thanks in advance,

ghp
24th November 2002, 23:56
Not a lot of info to go on -- except for their obvious alternative pronunciation of Choku den to mean "direct transmission." I've never seen this application, though -- Eishin Ryu's official name is Muso Jiki den Eishin Ryu and translates as "Peerless Direct Transmission Eishin Ryu."

.... err, that is, if I haven't fouled-up my recollection of the other pronunciations of the jiki kanji. I do know that choku means "straight." So they're saying "Peerless Straight Transmission Eishin Ryu."

Perhaps it is a study group of people who have some experience in Eishin Ryu but lack rank or authorization to teach? Just a guess on my part.

"Chokuden", eh????

--Guy

renfield_kuroda
25th November 2002, 01:58
The kanji for jiki ("tadachi") can also be pronounced "choku", though I've never heard of Muso-chokuden Eishinryu, and as far as I know "jikiden" is a word that means direct transmission, whereas "chokuden" looks like a mispronunciation.

Regards,

renfield kuroda

Charles Mahan
25th November 2002, 21:30
Whereabouts in NC are you? Perhaps there are other groups in your area as well. The closest I know of is in Woodbridge, VA, about 6 ours from Charlotte. The good news is there are lots of other people on the list who know more than I about where various groups are.

Can't help you much with evaluating this particular group, as I'm not familiar with their style. I suggest you check into their lineage a little just to be safe. The website seems to focus on Iaido as meditation and less on Iaido as a means of killing people with long sharp objects. It's a difference of intent of practice. That said it is entirely possible that the website does not reflect what goes on in class, besides you might be looking for Iai as meditation so it might just be perfect for you.

Budoka 34
26th November 2002, 12:25
Charles:

Thanks for the info.

I'm in beautiful Asheville(AsheVagas), NC.
If there are other Iaido opportunities near by I'd love to know.

I'm most interested in Mugai ryu and the Shin Kage school.
I have had a brief introduction to Kuniba ryu Iaido, I believe a derivitive of Mugai ryu.

As to the meditative vs martial, just read my signature line. :D

:smilejapa

gnoble
26th November 2002, 14:45
I can't really comment on their iai but I know the dojo cho, Buddy Hege, and the individual teaching the iai class. They're good people. Nothing shady there.

Give Buddy a ring and he can give you more info.

Hope this helps.

Greg Noble
Kushinkan dojo
West Virginia

Budoka 34
26th November 2002, 18:25
Greg:

I have no doubt the organization is legit.
I was just wanting more history on the Muso Chokuden Eishin Ryu style of Iai.

Charles Mahan
26th November 2002, 19:25
If no one here has heard of it, it's either a new style probably influenced by Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu, or it's VERY obscure. Someone here would have recognized it if it was one of the more common styles.

Try speaking with the folks that run the place and see what they say.

Carl Long
26th November 2002, 19:31
Hello Gentlemen,

Ken Rogers teaches Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu at a USAF Aikido Dojo in Asheville, NC. Ken Rogers is affiliated with the Jikishin-Kai and has recieved Dan grading from Shimabukuro Sensei. If you would like more information please contact me at Jikishin-Kaipa@Jikishin-Kai.com

Regards,

Carl Long

Charles Mahan
26th November 2002, 19:32
Well there you go, and you won't even have to drive the 2 hours to NC.

Sounds like you might be in luck.

Budoka 34
26th November 2002, 20:05
Carl:

Is this info current?

The only Aikido in Asheville is Aikikai taught by Senei Palmer.
I have trained there.
I'll call Sensei Palmer.

Thanks for the Info.

P.S. I met Shimabukuro Sensei last year at the AAU Nationals. He is a great man. He signed my copy of "Flashing Steel" and offered me an opportunity to train with his students there.

One of my favorite photos on my mantle is of Sensei and I with one of his seinor students.

Thanks again,

Carl Long
26th November 2002, 22:35
As of 30 days ago,Ken Rogers was teaching at the Aikikai in Asheville, NC. He was using the space in the same dojo. Apparently Mr. Palmer is/was allowing the use of the dojo for Iaido as well as Aikido. I am assuming this is still the case. However, if the situation has changed,please contact me for further details on how you may contact Ken Rogers. I hope this helps. If there is anything else I can help you with please feel free to contact me.

C. Long

Budoka 34
27th November 2002, 12:04
Carl:

Thanks!

I'll check as soon as I can.