PDA

View Full Version : Differences in DR branches/ Kiyama Hayawo Shihan (Kodokai)

NathanielG1
25th November 2002, 21:06
I am wondering what is the difference, technical or otherwise, between the different styles/branches of Diato Rye Jujitsu? I am not interested in hearing who's style is the "best" or start an arguement. I am sincerely interested in learning what differentiates and makes each style/branch unique from the others.

I apprecaite your time,

Nathaniel Gullion

Cady Goldfield
25th November 2002, 21:19
The best resource for you is Stanley Pranin's book, "Daito-ryu Aikijutsu" (Interviews with Daito-ryu Masters). It lays out the history and all of the presently-recognized branches of the art. You can buy it through his Aikido Journal website.

Benjamin Peters
26th November 2002, 21:39
nathaniel, try this webpage for daito-ryu techniques to see differences in the info you have

http://member.nifty.ne.jp/daito-ryu/gihou.html
http://website.lineone.net/~aiki/difstyles.htm
wish i could help more.

Nathan Scott
26th November 2002, 22:27
[Post deleted by user]

L-Fitzgerald
27th November 2002, 13:01
Mr Scott when you state there is a Takumakai study group in the NE United States are you refering to Kiama Hieyawa's group and Mr Roy Goldberg, whom I'm told was the first American to receive Shodan in DR sometime in the early 90's?

L Fitgerarld

L-Fitzgerald
27th November 2002, 13:30
I neglected to mention that my notes [a DR geneaology draft] identify Kiama Hieyawa having been a student of Sagawa Yukiyoshi. These are the same notes that were forwarded to Obata Sensei in 1995 for review and comment. However, your input is appreciated.

Thank you

L Fitzgerald

Nathan Scott
2nd December 2002, 00:13
[Post deleted by user]

Nathan Scott
23rd November 2005, 01:22
Hello all,

The North American Headquarters for Daito-ryu Aiki Jujutsu Kodokai, under the direction of Kiyama Shihan, has asked me to post the following quoted below to this forum on their behalf.

My impression is that the NA Honbu Dojo would prefer that those with questions about the Kodokai, Kiyama Shihan, and/or possible training opportunities within the group contact them directly rather than seeking (often erroneous) information about these subjects on the internet. It seems that many of the comments on the internet about the Kodokai are coming from either people who have little direct experience with the Kodokai or who are not even members:

For current information about training opportunities within Daito-ryu Aiki Jujutsu Kodokai in North America, interested parties are encouraged to contact our North American Headquarters in San Luis Obispo, CA by sending an e-mail to kodoaiki@earthlink.net . Those wishing for training information in the east coast area can also request contact information for Roy Goldberg through the above email address.

Please do not attempt to contact Kiyama Shihan directly.

Regards,