PDA

View Full Version : Togakure Ryu Ninpo Taijutsu

Bradenn
26th November 2002, 10:59
Richard van Donk's website offers the following book

"TOGAKURE RYU NINPO TAIJUTSU
Ten Ryaku, Ten Chi, Jinryaku No Maki. Book of Heaven, Earth, and Human strategies. This is the most profound work ever complied on Togakure Ninpo Taijutsu. Created as an instructor’s guidebook by Soke Hatsumi, this book has been out of print for over 15 years. Get your professionally translated English copy bound with a complete photocopy of the entire original book on 8 ½ x 11” paper. Over 1,000 photos on 270 pages plus 120 translation pages. #TR-101 was $74.95 now only $ 49.95"

I am a bit confused.

Is this book Ten Chi Jin? Or is it something else?

Has anyone read it? Can you offer any reviews and/or content? I have seen a version of Ten Chi Jin which is text only i.e. describing rolls and other techniques, but has no illustrations.

I would be grateful for any clarification.

Thanks

Bradenn
26th November 2002, 11:01
There is another book available on the web called "Bujinkan Dojo Shinden Kihon Gata.TenChiJin Ryaku no Maki".

Is this something different again?

Jeff O
26th November 2002, 13:30
Togakure Ryu Ninpo Taijutsu is a purple-covered book written by Hatsumi Sensei in Japanese that is out of print. This book was considered the defacto training guide by some of the Japanese Shihan years ago. This is not the Ten Chi Jin Ryaku no Maki mokuroku. Although most of the TCJRnM is in the Togakure Ryu Ninpo Book, they are not the same.

Think of the TCJRnM as a listing of the techniques and strategies to study, while the Ninpo book explains training drills and applications of the techniques listed in the TCJRnM.

I believe you can still purchase a copy of this book on the internet, such as from Richard Van Donk's website. He may also sell an English translation.

The TCJRnM can be purchased at the Bujinkan Hombu in it's original form. There are many Shidoshi who have translations of this, although I have never seen two the same. Training in Bujinkan Budo is a dynamic process, so naturally what may be understood today may be completely different tomorrow.

Hope this help -

Bradenn
26th November 2002, 16:56
Thanks. Very informative response.
So is this book out of date as a training guide these days? You mentioned something about "years ago".
Also, is it only focussed on Togakure Ryu or does it have anything from other schools?
Thanks again

Jeff O
26th November 2002, 18:35
Hi Braden,

No, the book is not out of date. Hatsumi Sensei may be emphasizing more advanced concepts of Budo, but the kihon are still there, and the happo of each kihon need to be trained in thoroughly. The Ninpo book may be one more method toward letting you understand the basics of the Bujinkan.

Don't worry too much about about the name, or it's relationship to Ninpo. The book covers much more than specific Bujinkan Ryu-ha. In fact, I would suggest eliminating the concept of lineage-specific training until you have a very firm grasp on the Kihon Happo, San Shin no Kata (Shoshin, Gogyo, & Goshin)and the experience to make them work for you. A good ten years or so. Then go back and have a focused look at the lineages, and find what strategies can be applied toward your understanding of the kihon happo at that time. Like I said before, it is a very dynamic process.

Take Care,

Jim_Jude
26th November 2002, 23:54
http://home.attbi.com/~thunderswan/taijutsu_book.htm

Here's a link to another source for the Taijutsu book from Wade Goodner. Check it out, & I don't believe that it's just a photocopy.