27th November 2002, 02:40
Hello Everybody,

I came across the book 'Essence of Ninjutsu' of Hatsumi and
it was a real disappointment.
Maybe I coudn't go beyond the lines but I didn't get
what is the message of this book.
I have been reading also the pictures of extracts from Japanese books
and surprised to find a page related to the novel of
'Ishikawa Goemon'...famous to be a thief (not a ninja).

Is there better book to read about this subject ?.

Tnxs,

Best Always...:nin:

Noodles
27th November 2002, 04:36
I purchased 'Essence of Ninjutsu' last year, and I was very pleased with it. It is, however, unconventional and deep reading in its easiest passages. You couldn't name off a single, simple message that Hatsumi Sensei was trying to get across. Heck, I wouldn't care to try to nail down even one of the multitude. Anyone else care to have a go at it? I'd be interested as well. Shinobi, what exactly were you hoping to learn from the book? What subject are you referring to when you ask,

Is there better book to read about this subject ?.
I'm sure some of the members here could suggest more appropriate books and histories about ninjutsu in general, if that's what you're looking for...?

One last thing, please obey the forum rules and sign with your full name at the end of your posts. Thanks in advance!

Karyu
27th November 2002, 05:36
Originally posted by ShinobiMono
Hello Everybody,

it was a real disappointment.
Maybe I coudn't go beyond the lines but I didn't get
what is the message of this book.

You mean it didn't teach you anything. "Essence of Ninjutsu" is much like "Grandmaster's Book of Ninja Training" or "Understand, Good, Play", which only really make sense if you're actively training and are able to apply the "feel" of taijutsu to the words in the book. Unless you train, you won't get it.

BigJon
27th November 2002, 10:17
Give me a "T".(someone want to help out, the "R" is next)

Jon Gillespie

The Tengu
27th November 2002, 14:36
Is there better book to read about this subject ?.What is it about ninjutsu that you want to learn?

My opinion is that in that book, Hatsumi Sensei is attempting to show us a deeper meaning to not just ninjutsu, but bujutsu and budo as a whole. Ninjutsu is bujutsu, after all.

You will oftentimes find that the way a ninja would purportedly approach a particular subject, is the same way that any intelligent thinking person would as well.

To me, ninjutsu is an art of the mind more than anything else. Not by hypnotizing other people or any of that garbage, but by becoming proficient in the utilization my own mind.

One of my personal goals is to live ninpo through all aspects of my life by studying ninjutsu concepts and theories, as they are often unconventional or abstract while being perfectly pragmatic at the same time.

That's what I feel this book is about and if you're not looking for something similar to this you will probably not enjoy Essence of Ninjutsu very much, whether you are a student of taijutsu or not.

When I got this book years ago, it was just a compilation of stories and anecdotes. These days it is something entirely different for me.

mmeskheniten
27th November 2002, 17:20
Shojin,

I notice that these books have to be ordered directly from the Genbukan honbu dojo with a money order. Would you happen to know the typical turn around time on this (days, weeks)?

Muai-Aakhu

Jim_Jude
27th November 2002, 17:40
"& can I buy a vowel, please? An "O"?"
"Are there any "O"s? One "O"."

Jim_Jude
27th November 2002, 17:45
we recently had a fresh infusion of new members. Anyone else notice that? :rolleyes:

dirtyvicar
27th November 2002, 17:48
Sounds remarkably like the guy who watched a Booj video and thought Hatsumi sensei didn't look like he knew what he was doing...

:rolleyes:

BigJon
27th November 2002, 18:49
Ill see your "O" Jim AND raise you two "LL's"

Jon Gillespie

bencole
27th November 2002, 21:35
it was a real disappointment. Maybe I coudn't go beyond the lines but I didn't get what is the message of this book.

A friend of mine thought the same thing....

He just didn't get it.

Then he moved to Japan, and trained there for a couple of years.

One day, he said to me, "Holy Cow! Everything in that book now makes so much sense! It's almost funny!"

This stuff takes time. Those without it will not get much at all, imo.

-ben

bencole
27th November 2002, 21:38
Originally posted by Jim_Jude
we recently had a fresh infusion of new members. Anyone else notice that? :rolleyes:

And, yes. :cool:

-ben

Jim_Jude
27th November 2002, 23:14
has this board moved under a bridge somewhere? I'm seeing some different wildlife around. Big warty noses, green slimy skin, endless meaningless moaning...

John Lindsey
28th November 2002, 00:36
I think its a great book, and not only because it has my picture in it :).

Oh, and troll hunting season is year around. No limit on how many you can bag. They taste like chicken too...

Jim_Jude
28th November 2002, 02:00
This is GREAT! It's more fun just making fun than throwing accusations...

"Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. I'm hunting Twolls." :laugh:

ShadowWarrior
2nd December 2002, 13:04
More info on Alex Esteve's book at http://www.universal-ninja.com/Templates/home.html .... Just got the book ... must say it's going to become a Bujinkan classic!

Gambatte

Robert Meier
2nd December 2002, 14:10
Hi guys,

hope not to disturb very badly with this question, but since I have only an American Express card, it was not possible for me to order that great book directly by credit card because they prefer payment by Visa or Mastercard. But unfortunately I donīt have an other card than the Amex at the moment.
So I exchanged E-mails with the one who sells the book, a very gentle person bytheway, and he told me that I should pay by postal money order and he apologied for the inconvenience that I couldnīt pay with my credit card. So far so good, ....

But unfortunataly I donīt have much experience with all of that.

I have now an individual number that I have to use for ordering the book. So which next step to take.

Getting such a postal order form at the bank, fill in the form with my individual number, sign it and then ... ???

How does it work. Do they transform the money to the one who sells the book. How to get all the information needed in order to fill in the form properly. I donīt like to handle money issues like this one in an unproffessional way and probably donīt have all the information yet to fill in the form properly.

Although I might appear immature and stupid with those fears Iīd like to ask the elder of you Buyu to assist me in that issue and to tell me precisely how to proceed with this postal order stuff Iīm very unfamiliar with. Sorry for the stupid question and my inskillful behaviour, but I had to ask that question because Iīd like to order the book so much but I donīt have a precise idea how to proceed !

Sorry for the trouble I make,

Sincerely, RM . :(